Thread: Steak Places

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
This blog is moderated by WhiteCat

Venues: 8
    Speaking of Steak Places, though a little off topic anyway, I had occasion to want a Subway sandwich last night for dinner. I remember someone having told me they opened a new one on Cordoba between Suipacha and Peligrini, just about 5 blocks from my apartment. Of course, I had been told which location it had occupied. L'Alliance.

It felt like a dream, walking into the place and remembering the times we'd eaten there. The place the parilla occupied now open with tables, the customer bar moved a bit to the front and converted into a Subway container / prep counter and cash machine, the bar behind the counter that held the alcohol and such turned into coke dispensers, chip storage, etc, the refrigerator and other stuff between the parilla and the bar now occupied by the bread storage racks and other bits.

The stairway at the back still curved upward, though, and although I'm sure it's a storage place for Subway, at least it left to my imagination the way it used to be. A bit old, a bit moldy, and the entrance thieves once used to try to rob Western Union.

Damn how times change.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to El Queso For This Post:

Steak Places

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Rulz  [View Original Post]
    Marbling in the beef, grass fed beef not only tastes different it looks different, much less fat. Also because it's closer to "natural" the cows usually wear Berkinstocks, tie dyed t-shirts, and lots of patchouli.
    One cannot see the marbling once the meat is cooked, and it takes a very discerning eye to tell that cooked meat was marbled or grass fed. Taste and texture are very different; however, once the meat has been cooked, and served, a patron is stuck. I know of few, if any, BA restaurants that show a patron the steak before cooking it.

Argentina is unique among Spanish cultures, and that is because of the British influence that is unique to Argentina. Most of the Spanish heritage countries eat fresh, not aged, meat. The British introduced aging to Argentina when they brought British stock (predominantly hereford and angus) to the country because grazing land was so cheap. Most Spanish countries call aged meat "export" beef, when in reality the "export" market demands aged, not fresh meat.

Tres3

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tres3 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Rulz  [View Original Post]
    Marbling in the beef, grass fed beef not only tastes different it looks different, much less fat. Also because it's closer to "natural" the cows usually wear Berkinstocks, tie dyed t-shirts, and lots of patchouli.
    Those are the same cows that don't shave their armpits.

Fat

Quote Originally Posted by Tres3  [View Original Post]
    I do not know how one can tell, other than by taste, but the Argentines have discovered feed lots, and a lot of the here to for grass fed beef is now corn fed on a feed lot, just like in the states. It is just idle speculation, but I suspect that the higher end restaurants still use grass fed beef because of all their Argentine customers.

Tres3

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Daddy Rulz For This Post:

Feed Lots

I do not know how one can tell, other than by taste, but the Argentines have discovered feed lots, and a lot of the here to for grass fed beef is now corn fed on a feed lot, just like in the states. It is just idle speculation, but I suspect that the higher end restaurants still use grass fed beef because of all their Argentine customers.

Tres3

I've eaten at most of those places (not Rolaso) and many more like Clo Clo and blah, blah, blah. I like La Cabrera the food is good and the ambiance is up my alley. If you like Ponderosa-meets-cafeteria Cabana Las Lilas will suit you just fine. If I am out with friends or associates and we are looking for a little more entertaining venue, I like Palermo (Don Julio, La Cabrera, El Trapiche) or San Telmo.

However, if I am just looking for my favorite Bs As meal (proveleta, ojo de bife and Bosco DOC) , I have nothing but good things to say about PP and the touristy place right next to New Port (although I haven't eaten there since before they changed their name). I've walked by Rodi Bar a million times and never went in but some people rave about it.

For me, dining out is just like wine. If you like it, it's good. I can't taste the opinions of others.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wild Walleye For This Post:

Rolaso

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeOilSales  [View Original Post]
    I digress with the rest of the crowd here, but Parilla Pena is not even close to being among the upper echelon of steak places in Buenos Aires. For that, you need to go to the places that have their own farms that supply export quality meat specifically for their restaurants. I'm talking about El Mirasol, La Cabrera, Cabana Las Lilas (which is a ripoff, price wise) , La Brigada, Estilo Campo, and a few others. At these places when you order a lomo or bife de chorizo "jugoso" it comes out a bright, cool red in the center and perfectly grilled about 2/5 of the way through the meat on the outside. The steaks at Parilla Pena are no better than the steaks at La Madeleine or 1234 Sante Fe. Unfortunately, premium meat is just not cheap anymore in Argentina, although it is 20-20% cheaper than a comparable cut (if you could find one) in the USA.
    I Eat a lot at ROLASO, in Villa Crespo Aguirre x Julian Alvarez, same quality as the steaks at Don Julio in Palermo (same supplier) but a lot cheaper. EXCELLENT wine selection, not the usual mickey mouse parrilla where you have to add ice cubes in order to drink your wine!

And they can even cook your steak Estilo Frances, nearly raw which suits me nicely.

Just don t mind the colors there, everything is white and green, look like a vegan place, but the owner.Isidro- cannot help it he is a hardcore fan of Ferro, and these are the team s colors.

I will be dining there tomorrow, feel free to join me, send me PM.

Al.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Palermitano40 For This Post:

I digress with the rest of the crowd here, but Parilla Pena is not even close to being among the upper echelon of steak places in Buenos Aires. For that, you need to go to the places that have their own farms that supply export quality meat specifically for their restaurants. I'm talking about El Mirasol, La Cabrera, Cabana Las Lilas (which is a ripoff, price wise) , La Brigada, Estilo Campo, and a few others. At these places when you order a lomo or bife de chorizo "jugoso" it comes out a bright, cool red in the center and perfectly grilled about 2/5 of the way through the meat on the outside. The steaks at Parilla Pena are no better than the steaks at La Madeleine or 1234 Sante Fe. Unfortunately, premium meat is just not cheap anymore in Argentina, although it is 20-20% cheaper than a comparable cut (if you could find one) in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Walleye  [View Original Post]
    That said, for a country known for raising great steak, they sure do know how to f*ck 'them up by over cooking them. I've had some of the "best" restaurants in town deliver a piece of meat that was devoid of pink on the inside.

I speak Spanish like Obama cuts spending. No Spanish is necessary to plenty of pink meat in Buenos Aires (properly cooked steak, too)."Rare" is "jugoso" which is pronounced "hoo-go-so." I have yet to see a steak in Buenos Aires that I thought was under cooked.

"Medium" is "al punto" which is pronounced "Al poon-tow" However, in my experience, or should I say vicariously through my fellow diners' experiences, I have seen "al punto" more often interpreted as "medium well" than anything else.

Then throw in "Luigi Bosco D. O. C." and sit back and enjoy the evening.

If you get a breaded, fried meat served with a wedge of lemon, you probably have been served Mollejas (sweetbreads).
    For some cuts temps are different. If you are at a parilla a punto really means more around medium well, especially when we are talking about vacio. With a bike de choriso it is closer to medium. Jugoso on the other hand for a lomo o bife is going to be normal to medium. If you want rare you should ask vuelta a vuelta which is going to come between rare and normal. For some reason they really have a tough time believing you want a steak cooked so red.

All that being said this waiter recommends getting meat a little more done at a parilla. It took me an age to understand that vacio cooked normal at low temps is tough as hell and again due to the low temp when cooked medium well it's tender as a virgins cunny. Think more pot roast than roast beef. It will be moist and the meat fibers will easily separate. This from a lifetime rare meat eater.

Chancho (pork) on the other hand should never, ever, ever be eaten at less than 160 degrees (medium well) here. In the land of fat women trichinosis has pretty much been done away with in the domestic meat supply. There have only been an average of like 10 cases a year up there for a long time and most from game. Here however it can still be found in pork so eating it mid rare, or medium is taking a chance.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Daddy Rulz For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dickhead  [View Original Post]
    Or milanesa, which they also serve with lemon for reasons that have always eluded me. Most of the mollejas I have seen were dredged and not breaded. Same with chinchulines; just dredged in flour and not breaded with migas.
    Right you are. I was envisioning dredged in flour and fried but I typed something else (breaded).

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Wild Walleye For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Walleye  [View Original Post]
    If you get a breaded, fried meat served with a wedge of lemon, you probably have been served Mollejas (sweetbreads).
    Or milanesa, which they also serve with lemon for reasons that have always eluded me. Most of the mollejas I have seen were dredged and not breaded. Same with chinchulines; just dredged in flour and not breaded with migas.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Dickhead For This Post:

Hoo-go-so

Quote Originally Posted by TheRaven  [View Original Post]
    I have to agree with Chezz on this place. I went there and it was really good. It doesn't seem very touristy so Spanish is needed though. I had a lot of trouble ordering and my steak came out well done instead of medium. I will say that I liked the empanada at Clark's more than there's. Instead of using ground beef Clark's uses little 1/4" cubes of very tender steak.
    Parilla Pena has always delivered a perfectly cook piece of meat (seared on the outside, cool pink / red in the middle) , each time I have been there.

That said, for a country known for raising great steak, they sure do know how to f*ck 'them up by over cooking them. I've had some of the "best" restaurants in town deliver a piece of meat that was devoid of pink on the inside.

I speak Spanish like Obama cuts spending. No Spanish is necessary to plenty of pink meat in Buenos Aires (properly cooked steak, too)."Rare" is "jugoso" which is pronounced "hoo-go-so." I have yet to see a steak in Buenos Aires that I thought was under cooked.

"Medium" is "al punto" which is pronounced "Al poon-tow" However, in my experience, or should I say vicariously through my fellow diners' experiences, I have seen "al punto" more often interpreted as "medium well" than anything else.

Then throw in "Luigi Bosco D. O. C." and sit back and enjoy the evening.

The wait staff at PP was very patient with me whilst I butchered their language.

I like to walk everywhere and have walked Bs As most of the area from Palermo to San Telmo (not all at once). PP is an easy walk form both the Recoleta Cemetery and the AP House (it's almost equidistant from the two, a little closer to the AP House). Although, after chowing down a mountain of bife, a brisk walk can be unpleasant.

If you are leaving there late at night, turn left out of the restaurant and walk up Pena a block and a half to Ste Fe to catch a cab. You'll be right near the corner of Callao (pronounce "Kai-zhow" in Bs As) , which I can assure you (from first hand experience) is busy almost 24/7.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Wild Walleye For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin  [View Original Post]
    OK. Where is it located. For us non-locals we need an address along with a recommendation. I like the empanadas at Stranger's after hours restaurant the all night restaurant on Sante Fe and Riobamba. The mushroom and lamb is great.
    Parrilla Peña.

Rodríguez Peña 682, Centro Tribunales, C. A. B. A.

Cocina: Porteña.

Tel: 4371-5643.

Horario: Hoy 12 a 16 why de 20 a cierre.

Medios de pago: *Sólo efectivo Reportar cierre / modificacióand

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Easy Go For This Post:

OK. Where is it located. For us non-locals we need an address along with a recommendation. I like the empanadas at Stranger's after hours restaurant the all night restaurant on Sante Fe and Riobamba. The mushroom and lamb is great.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Paladin For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chezz  [View Original Post]
    I've got to agree with most of the posts here. Parrilla Pena is an amazing find. My meal on Tuesday night started off with one of the best empanadas I've ever had in this town. And BAD empanadas are everywhere. But Pena does them right. And they come with your dinner along with better-than-average rolls. The wine list is bigger and more affordable than I expected, with plenty of half-bottles for the solo diners. But it's the steak you come here for, and my bife chorizo was perfect. I would say for the price (currently 78 pesos) it's the best I've had. I ordered the rucola and parmesan salad and that was very fresh, and dressed with the lemon and olive oil tableside.

The service was excellent and the waiter brought everything out quickly and didn't forget anything! Plus, since I decided to order a full bottle of wine but didn't finish it, he re-corked it and wrapped it in paper, then bagged it. Very classy move. And the bonus is they have free, very fast wi-fi.

If you don't like Parrilla Pena, you don't like like Argentine food. This place kicks ass.
    I have to agree with Chezz on this place. I went there and it was really good. It doesn't seem very touristy so Spanish is needed though. I had a lot of trouble ordering and my steak came out well done instead of medium. I will say that I liked the empanada at Clark's more than there's. Instead of using ground beef Clark's uses little 1/4" cubes of very tender steak.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to TheRaven For This Post:

Posting Limitations