This blog is moderated by Big Boss Man
    There is really only one way to get fluent and that is immersion. That means no speaking English. I studied Spanish for twenty years and I knew a lot but when they began to speak normally, I got lost. About fifteen years ago I went on a trip with a chica who spoke not a word of English and avoided all English speakers. For six weeks I could not use my English even if I wanted to because no one around me would understand it. That is what finally got me over the hump. By the end of that experience I was dreaming in Spanish.

The reason anglophones get lost when trying to follow Spanish is that they are trying to translate it. It's just humanly physically and anatomically not possible to translate as fast as someone can speak Spanish. So for those trying to get to a higher level, you have to stop hanging around with so many gringos when you come to Argentina, and you have to stop trying to translate. I get that it's fun to hang out at the AP house and screw the English speaking gals like María, and that is great, but you will never get fluent that way. You can improve your pronunciation and your grammar but you will never be able to follow a normally paced conversation.

'Aprendía el castellano en la calle, la escuela de la vida'

Duolingo

I used Duolingo which is free language training app for thirty minutes a day for approximately 60 days before I came on this trip. I was more confident. I am still having the basic conversations where are you from and how old are you and how many children do you have. I thought my pronunciation improved but Daddy Rulz is always correcting me. There is no magic bullet to help you improve or I am a very slow learner.

Duolingo

I have been using Duolingo 30 minutes a day for about 40 days now. First lessons went fast but now I am have hit the proverbial wall. The review sessions demonstrate only a 40 or 50 percent is sticking. I am having trouble getting through these new lessons on the first attempt. I have about 50 days until touchdown. I hope all this work helps.

How's the Weather?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Boss Man  [View Original Post]
    Anybody found a useful android app to learn Spanish. I have about 4 months before the next trip and would like to spend 10 to 15 minutes a day learning Spanish. One thing I learned is that with my limited Spanish I end up having the same conversation over and over again and it gets somewhat boring. If I could string a few more words together life would be better.
    Someone on THIS board has invented an APP that teaches you how to speak Spanish with the accent of someone from Buenos Aires.

I don't know how to access my Spanish "N" but you can catch the drift.

The Port Region's accent is unique to the world and it's roots have been traced to a small region in Italy.

Nicer than the wispy, fagotty shit they speak in Spain due to a King's lisp!

I'm sure you can look it up.

How to Speak Spanish with a Portenos Accent.

TL

Android App to learn Spanish?

Anybody found a useful android app to learn Spanish. I have about 4 months before the next trip and would like to spend 10 to 15 minutes a day learning Spanish. One thing I learned is that with my limited Spanish I end up having the same conversation over and over again and it gets somewhat boring. If I could string a few more words together life would be better.

Posting Limitations