Thread: The bang for buck 2008 versus 2012

+ Submit Report
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
This blog is moderated by Member #3320

Freddo index

Not quite anything to hang hat on but I used to track inflation by off the cuff Freddos ice cream price.

When I left in 2008 after 3 years, large cone was 17. 50 pesos, with exchange about 3:1. So call it about $6 USD (just under)

Currently 2012 it's 27 pesos at roughly 6:1 exchange. Call it $4. 5 USD.

Given caveat one item doesn't make that accurate an index, at least for ice cream it's cheaper in real dollar terms now than 2008.

Although I also recall when I first got here 2005, the price was 7. 50 pesos. So it had already grown by 233% just between 2005 to 2008.

Not as exact but all the other usual places I go. Palermo Indian restaurant, Belgrano Chinese and Japanese places, usual Recoleta and Puerto Madero restaurants. Seems either just bit cheaper in real dollar terms after 6:1 exchange or about even from my 2008 recollection.

Oddly. Electronics seem lot cheaper now though. Bought an iPod touch 32gb as a gift from compumundo and at $1999 pesos it was barely $333 USD, which isn't that much more from US Apple Store retail $299.

I recall electronics like this being 50-100% more than states prices back in 2008

Thanks. I emailed Roxene.

Planning a trip in nov or early 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Billyanderson  [View Original Post]
    So, do you think it is still a good place to visit?

I'm thinking about making a trip soon
    Don't let my bellyaching stop you. Still a helluva lot better than a lot of places!

So, do you think it is still a good place to visit?

I'm thinking about making a trip soon

I'm for shit with math, so I can't tell whether over 6 with the exchange rate makes up for the escalating prices of everything or not. I can say that from a non-mongering perspective, living in BA is not as enjoyable as it once was. The vibe on the street lacks the energy and spontaneity of a few years ago. The constant political battles and inflation weigh on many of the locals. After the economic implosion over ten years ago, when things began to improve, the locals seemed to have more hope, vim and vigor. That is dissipating for many. The exodus of many mongers who either used to live here, or were frequent visitors, has degraded the enjoyment factor as well.

Also, I don't think I can blame all of this on Argentina. Much of the world is hurting economically and there has been a decrease in folks arriving here with a positive attitude. The shit has hit the fan all over. Keep an eye on China, Vietnam and SE Asia as a whole. They have a humongous RE bubble, that is likely to cause as much mayhem as it did in the USA and parts of Europe.

It is worth noting that the money still flows here for some. I was talking to a local friend the other day, and he unwittingly invoked a Reagan era mantra,"I'm a lot better off now than I was eight years ago". So, for some people here life / income is better.

2008 v 2012

When I first came here in 2002 I got 2-1 on dollars. Smokes were. 75 coffee was about 1. 75, dinner ran from 7-25, taxi drop was 1 no idea about busses, chicas from black were 100, privado and triangle chicas about 50.

When I left in 2007 I was getting 3-1 smokes 1. 33, coffee 2. 10, dinner 6-25, I forget the taxi drop but it was more, busses were. 25 and the subte. 35, privado, triangle, and known chicas were getting 50 and I fucked one chica that worked at Newport for 75 and one at Black for 100.

Now I get 6-1 at xoom (4. 6 today offical) with xoom I'm paying 1. 5 for smokes. 2.15 for coffee, dinner is between 9-25, taxi drop is 1. 20, busses are. 20 and the subte is. 35 and I'm paying between 40-50 at a privado, (until I find a gig there will be no club chicas)

All those prices are in dollars so it's actually not that bad. Today though I don't think it dollars, I think in pesos so it FEELS expensive as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Member #3320  [View Original Post]
    Guys,

What do you feel :

Is the the BA monger of 2012 better off than BA monger of 2008.

This question is more old / experienced BA mongers.

Sad as it sounds, I think it has never been so good for the mongers in BA.

Sex tourists are in short supply. The men of BA are short of money. Flights have become expensive. Expats are actually leaving BA.

Is this the best time to be in BA for the monger? (Though my heart goes out for people affected by the bad economy).

I personally feel, it was never so good basis my recent exploits with working chicas in BA.

Am I imagining it?

Your thoughts? No sarcasm please.
    Personally I think things have gone down hill. Inflation here has wiped out any advantage to the better exchange rate. Also the attitudes for most of the girls has changed from the friendly girlfriend to the hungry and desperate shark. Of course if your own personal income has tripled since 2008 then you have kept up with inflation here. But I don't think too many people can say that. Whats even worse is that I think things are going to get worse before they get better. The policy's of the "tres chifilados" seem bent on destroying the country just like Chavez has done to Venezuela. In the places that I used to frequent chica drinks have gone up 400% while the actual costs have only gone up around 100. While I can afford to pay it, it annoys me because I feel they are robbing me. But then, every one has their own experiences and preferences! The best of luck to every one where ever you might go!

The bang for buck 2008 versus 2012

Guys,

What do you feel :

Is the the BA monger of 2012 better off than BA monger of 2008.

This question is more old / experienced BA mongers.

Sad as it sounds, I think it has never been so good for the mongers in BA.

Sex tourists are in short supply. The men of BA are short of money. Flights have become expensive. Expats are actually leaving BA.

Is this the best time to be in BA for the monger? (Though my heart goes out for people affected by the bad economy).

I personally feel, it was never so good basis my recent exploits with working chicas in BA.

Am I imagining it?

Your thoughts? No sarcasm please.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Member #3320 For This Post:

Posting Limitations