Thread: Light Beers

+ Submit Report
This blog is moderated by Weemac
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRaven  [View Original Post]
    I've had that Single Hop IPA from Flying Dog. That is a great beer. I haven't been to Park Slope in a couple of years. Now your making me miss New York.
    Funny, I had the Single Hop@Cafe in the Wildeman in Amsterdam, NL 2 weeks ago.

I always drag Sportsman to Park Slope with me when we meet.

Between Park Slope / Cobble Hill and Williamsburg / Greenpoint. You have 20-30 craft beer places.

Best Regards.

Smuler

I've had that Single Hop IPA from Flying Dog. That is a great beer. I haven't been to Park Slope in a couple of years. Now your making me miss New York.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney  [View Original Post]
    BTW, Smuler is another beer expert.
    Hi Sidney.

The original question was about light beers. That is beer with low caloric content.

I never had a light beer in Argentina, so I do not know.

But I can say that if I was at a place that only had light beer, I'd rather drink a Pepsi or Coke.

I come from the "other side " of beer drinking as a hobby. Fine craft beers.

And sadly, BA is not known as a place to drink fine craft beer.

But, it seems like things are slowly changing :

http://www.therealargentina.com/arge...ft-beer-craze/

A couple of these places in the article are places that I went to.

You can see my reports of a couple years ago.

I hope things are well in BA.

Glad to see you back Sidney.

Best Regards.

Smuler.

PS This is what I drank in Park Slope Brooklyn last night :

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/220/84593

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/68/82934

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/610/2751

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smuler For This Post:

Not Sure?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Coach  [View Original Post]
    Can anyone explain why Quilmes (on tap) , a local beer, is so expensive? In fact, more expensive than a pint in central London or most other larger European cities.

IMHO it is a fine beer, but the high prices that I paid during my visit to BsAs earlier this year remains a mystery to me.
    I had a resto-bar for about 6 years and any beer on tap is a lot more than a canned or bottled beer.

Unlike the USA.

Now, recently, Quilmes has released about 3 or 4 new beers.

Stout, Red Lager. 1890 and maybe a Bock.

The Red Lager is excellent.

Still, my fave is Imperial, use to be Quilmes but sold to Bud I think.

I don't drink much beer because it is liquid bread but on a hot day it can be very nice.

Still prefer a single malt. 16 year old!

TL

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TejanoLibre For This Post:

Can anyone explain why Quilmes (on tap) , a local beer, is so expensive? In fact, more expensive than a pint in central London or most other larger European cities.

IMHO it is a fine beer, but the high prices that I paid during my visit to BsAs earlier this year remains a mystery to me.

Light beer? Really?

OK, so maybe we all don't let our hair down to the same extent as one another whilst exploring foreign ports and other countries, too. However, what's that they say about "when in Rome"? (I know Wee is watching his waste line).

As far as taste goes, I like the local choppes and believe that it is an insult to compare them to American light beers, which in my opinion are not so tasty (they make me consider not drinking).

While I would expect the calorie content to be higher with the higher alcohol content. Not surprisingly Quilmes has 163 calories while Brahma has 125 (which is pretty low for beer, at least for one with any flavor at all). By comparison, Coors Light is at 102 calories, while Guinness Stout is at 125 Calories.

The wine equivalent to a 12 oz serving of beer (330ml is approximately 11. 5oz) is a 5oz (148ml) glass (copa for you bilingual types). A 5oz glass of Malbec has 125 calories. An ounce of vodka has about 65 calories.

Rather than drink something that tastes like crap, pick a libation that you enjoy and compliment it with a little protein/fat (cheese, meat, whatever), which will help to lessen the insulin spike that you would otherwise get consuming the alcohol alone (thus reducing the body's urge to store it as fat). Like most people, the problem I have with that is that a little protein/fat (after a few drinks) can turn into a platter of antipasto.

The only way to reduce fat (nonsurgical, that is) is to be in caloric deficit for some period of time. That means that you take in fewer calories than your body needs therefore the body accesses its fat stores for energy. You just need to plan the beers, wine, etc into your overall (weekly) calorie consumption.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Wild Walleye For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dickhead  [View Original Post]
    I don't agree with the previous poster's assessment. Brahma has a higher alcohol content than Quilmes. I compare Quilmes to Coors and Brahma to Budweiser and assert that Quilmes is pretty close to a light beer as is. I did research this extensively over the seven years or so I spent in Argentina. Anyway, most serious beer drinkers will just increase the consumption in terms of volume, if the beer is lighter. I doubt that drinking light beer would be part of a successful weight loss strategy for such a person.
    You are wrong. Quilmes is 4, 9% abv (much closer to Budweiser, at 5, 0%) whereas Brahma is 4, 6% abv (closer to Coors Light which is 4, 2% abv). In additional, the previous poster claims that "Amstel" is sold in Argentina which is incorrect. Budweiser, Heineken, Warsteiner, and Stella Artois are sold in Argentina and are in fact brewed in Argentina under license, as is the recently "imported" Miller Genuine Draft, which is also brewed in Argentina under license. Guinness, Corona, and Beck's are sold in Argentina and are truly imported.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SnakeOilSales For This Post:

I don't agree with the previous poster's assessment. Brahma has a higher alcohol content than Quilmes. I compare Quilmes to Coors and Brahma to Budweiser and assert that Quilmes is pretty close to a light beer as is. I did research this extensively over the seven years or so I spent in Argentina. Anyway, most serious beer drinkers will just increase the consumption in terms of volume, if the beer is lighter. I doubt that drinking light beer would be part of a successful weight loss strategy for such a person.

Brahma and Amstel as close as you can get

Quote Originally Posted by Weemac  [View Original Post]
    Does anyone know a place to buy light beers in or around Buenos Aires. Could be anything. Miller, Bud, Corona, Coors etc. Quilmes used to make a light beer but I no longer see it on the supermarket shelves. I just want to curb the growth of the waistline without lowering consumption.

Thanks.
    You don't really see light beers here, but Brahma is quite light, and Amstel is considered to be light too.

Fred

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver Star For This Post:

Light Beers

Does anyone know a place to buy light beers in or around Buenos Aires. Could be anything. Miller, Bud, Corona, Coors etc. Quilmes used to make a light beer but I no longer see it on the supermarket shelves. I just want to curb the growth of the waistline without lowering consumption.

Thanks.

Posting Limitations