This blog is moderated by Member #4110

Lived in highest rent part of recoleta about 3. 5 years of in-town time since 2005. Roughly, I've personally seen in that time couple motochurro bandits do snatch and scoot, a pretty darn funny robbery of the big disco on Quintana next to Alvear with some guy running away on Callao followed by 3-4 disco employees, and being a fanatical daily Herald reader, noted about on average some report of snatch, mugging, or break in about once a month. Not exactly a crime wave but enough to be prudent.

Maybe more happened but used to be a crime column in the herald till they took it out sometime after 2008 and they reported the highlight ones I guess. My take is lot safer than other barrios but crime still happens and whether you become a stat or watch a stat happening in front of you is how low hanging fruit you look

I have seen TWO snatch and grabs right in Recoleta. One was a purse and the other was a bracelet. I saw that one coming and I almost caught the fucker. Chased him for a long time but of course no one else would help. I DID run down a purse snatcher in Quito once and banged his head off the sidewalk a couple times before the cops showed up, at which point I melted away.

I also was in line at a Disco when two guys came in and robbed it, and I walked around the corner right into an armed robbery on the street at 5 AM or so. Those both happened in Congreso.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Walleye  [View Original Post]
    Is there a neighborhood that is better for this? What about if I am more than half drunk? So far, Recoleta seems to have been good for this (minus the jewelry, watch is generally in the safe back at the apt).
    Drunk and stumbling ain't good anywhere. Recoleta is not immune, and there is a decent amount of snatch and grab near Recoleta Village. Personally, I have witnessed two incidents of theft in broad daylight right at Recoleta Village. I've had two cellphones swiped, both in the Centro area, not three blocks apart.

The point being, there are very few areas in BsAs where you can be completely assured that you'll not be a victim. And, I don't see San Telmo as being much worse than any other area.

On the positive side, theft, and maybe some slight roughing up is about all you'll get here.

Quote Originally Posted by Doggboy  [View Original Post]
    If you're not stumbling around half drunk at 3 am or flashing expensive watches / jewelry, you should be OK.
    Is there a neighborhood that is better for this? What about if I am more than half drunk? So far, Recoleta seems to have been good for this (minus the jewelry, watch is generally in the safe back at the apt).

Not sure if someone already pointed this out

January in Bs As is dead, compared to the rest of the year. If you just want to sweat and nail the second string chicas, it might be ideal (less congestion on the streets, etc).

I like the weather in Bs As, all year long. My first trip was in July on the day of the Great Blizzard of '07. I brought an overcoat with me. I think that was the last time I brought any form of an overcoat. On the coldest of days, I just throw a thin cashmere sweater under my suit coat or sport coat and I am good to go. Even on those days, they seem to start off chilly and warm up dramatically towards midday (more so than you would find say in NYC on the corresponding day). If it rains, I just move a little more quickly, getting in and out of cabs and privados. The weather reminds me of living in Italy. I'd rather have to thrown on a sweater than sweat my balls off.

As for the warmer months, I have greatly enjoyed my time in Bs As during the Spring as well as Feb-May (my idea of warm might be a few degrees cooler than most).

I like San Telmo, though I have never stayed there. I think it was Dickhead that mentioned getting an idea of what is available on one of the apartment sites. I second that motion. I also suggest mapping the locations and getting an idea how far away you would be from the things that you desire. I'd pay a little more to be closer to my favorite past times.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverm  [View Original Post]
    (I like old decrepit things, like myself)
    Unfortunately, for you, Checkers pub closed down.

If I were to spend a month in BA each year, what would be the best neighborhood in terms of security, cost, and proximity to privados? Does anyone like San Telmo (I like old decrepit things, like myself). Can you get a 1-bedroom for $700 for a safe yet stimulating 1-month stay? This might be the deciding factor, perhaps along with the privado differential.
    San Telmo is an option. I'm living presently in San Telmo, in a nice 1 bedroom apt, in a nice building, furnished, contrafrente, with a terrace overlooking a garden in the back of the building. $4, 400 pesos (about $700US at the current blue rate) , everything included. A bus ride will put you in privado land very quickly. I like the architecture here as well.

I think crime in San Telmo is overstated. I've lived here about half of the seven years I've spent in BsAs. I would say that late night its probably a little sketchier here than some other areas. Depends on where you are in San Telmo. If you're not stumbling around half drunk at 3 am or flashing expensive watches / jewelry, you should be OK.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to El Perro For This Post:

I don't think you would be happy with what you could get in San Telmo short-term for $700. You might want to look at some of the short-term rental sites such as www.reynoldspropiedades.com.ar For some base figures. I think $850 is probably closer to reality right now, if it is only going to be one month. I like San Telmo but there are a lot of junkies there because it is artsy fartsy, so there is a lot of (usually fairly) petty crime. I would suggest you investigate Colegiales or Abasto as alternatives.

Asunciķand has several advantages over Buenos Aires other than cost. Radically better customer service, more down-to-earth people, and cleaner pussies come to mind immediately. If it was just a month every year, I could definitely see Asunciķand over BA because by the time you were incredibly bored you would be leaving. Although, I personally was incredibly bored there in about a week.

Does anyone like San Telmo (I like old decrepit things, like myself). Can you get a 1-bedroom for $700 for a safe yet stimulating 1-month stay? This might be the deciding factor, perhaps along with the privado differential.
    Yes, you might get something for 700 us$ in San Telmo. Its not the safest neighborhood. But if you live cheaply and have nothing to lose, their is no harm in staying there. What kind of quality you would get for 700 us$ is tough to say. But yes, overall your plan might work.

Very helpful

Thanks to all for all. You have reminded me that my "wintering" in South America means coping with the sweltering heat in Asuncion, so much worse than the already hot BA. When I spent the Christmas holidays there, I got into the habit of siesta with the air conditioners going full blast. Also, I would call my favorite privado and ask the nice lady to put on a room's air conditioner in advance. Still, the sweat from my neck sometimes got into the little darlings' eyes. Lo siento mi amor.

Dickhead made me laugh when he provided his list of things to do in Asuncion. Actually, there is some artsy thing going on almost every night as advertised in the paper. I like to hang around universities, and the kids are always up to something. I read a lot and enjoy conversations with guys who are full of bullshit, like me. I don't worry about night life. Having said that, my favorite thing about Costa Rica is watching the chicas dance their asses off at Key Largo in the gulch. I wish I could find a place like that, but I'm not sure it exists in South America (but Thailand, yes).

If I were to spend a month in BA each year, what would be the best neighborhood in terms of security, cost, and proximity to privados? Does anyone like San Telmo (I like old decrepit things, like myself). Can you get a 1-bedroom for $700 for a safe yet stimulating 1-month stay? This might be the deciding factor, perhaps along with the privado differential.

"Bitterly cold"!

Guys,

You caught me on that phrase! .

Lets face it. The winters of BA will not kill you. I was actually comparing the winters of BA with Asuncion.

Having spent many months near to the North Pole due to nature of my work, I know exactly what "bitterly cold" means. My intention was more of describing it for the comfort / leisure factor.

I personally prefer the summers of BA to the winters of BA. I know 99% will disagree though. However, sex is always more interesting in winters than summers.

Yes, their are not many interesting things to do in Asuncion. But if you speak Spanish and mix with locals, you would find things to do but then due to limitations of the city itself, it would not be that great.

I am not sure if I will say Asuncion is more dangerous than BA or vice versa. Its a subject open to debate.

Whose winter are we talking about? If we are talking US/Can/Eur winter, i.e, austral summer, there is no way Asunciķand (I'll just leave that spelled the way Jackson's software changes it, just to point out again how FUCKING STUPID Jackson's software is) would be doable, in my opinion, because of the heat. However, anyone who finds the winters in a place where it doesn't even snow to be 'bitterly cold' might feel otherwise. I would not live in either BA or Asunciķand during austral summer. I DID live in BA for several austral summers and always found it necessary to leave for at least a month. Also, considering non-mongering factors, here is a list of interesting things to do in Asunciķand:

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dickhead For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Member #3320  [View Original Post]
    Thanks.

However, I beg to slightly disagree with you regarding point 3.

I visit low end, medium end and high end privados in BA and Asuncion. My comparison was basis the medium end privados.

Lets take blue rate at 6. 0 to 1 us$. (fluctuating between 5. 85 to 6. 15. Depending where you are changing). A medium end privado in BA normally charges 350 pesos for conventional sex (present day rate) + 50 pesos for BBBJ.
    This is where we go a little sideways, I refuse to tip for BBBJ. Either the chica does it and I might repeat or she doesn't and I won't. It's their body so I respect their desicion however they are my pesos and I choose where to spend them. I don't decry the idea of giving extra for complato, BBBJ, CIM, COF, or whatever but I refuse to do it. I have seen too many times where this "standard" propina becomes a part of the base price and then you are tipping for the same service on the raised base price.

Again we agree far more than we disagree.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daddy Rulz For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Member #3320  [View Original Post]

5. Asuncion is generally more hot than BA in summers. While BA can be bitterly cold in winters with better weather in Asuncion in winters.
    Minor comment. Bitterly cold is relative to what you're used to. I'm from California that's gone through number of winters living in BA, and even relative to California's mild year round weather compared to most other US states, I find BA winter slightly milder and less cold than Northern California winter.

More chilly than SoCal for sure, but less than NorCal. Only real big diff is rains / hail in BA is for real while what counts as wet water coming down in any part of California is pretty tame comparatively

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mpexy For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Rulz  [View Original Post]
    Except point 3 and that is minor. Good privados are going at 350 right now which is 60 bucks. Estrellas phenom BBBJCIM is still 42. I always get the full hour because I keep my own time.

As far as the rest I'm in agreement with 3320 regarding BsAs.
    Thanks.

However, I beg to slightly disagree with you regarding point 3.

I visit low end, medium end and high end privados in BA and Asuncion. My comparison was basis the medium end privados.

Lets take blue rate at 6. 0 to 1 us$. (fluctuating between 5. 85 to 6. 15. Depending where you are changing). A medium end privado in BA normally charges 350 pesos for conventional sex (present day rate) + 50 pesos for BBBJ. So it comes to 400 pesos which is almost 70 us$. I made a slight mistake in previous post and assimilated the cost as 75 us$ in BA privado but its more like 70 us$. Still almost twice that of a average Asuncion privado and you never get more than 45 minutes for the 1 hour you pay for in a BA privado.

Like BA, Asuncion also has high end and low end privados. So best to compare the average / mid priced ones! Overall, for privado fans Asuncion wins hands down any day.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Member #3320 For This Post:

Posting Limitations