Thread: Getting through Customs

+ Submit Report
This blog is moderated by DavieW
    Quote Originally Posted by DavieW  [View Original Post]
    I hired a car when in the UK. The Argentinian authorities are 'taxing' me an extra 15% on top of what I gave to Avis.

Please, tell me how best to take advantage of that situation. I'd really like to know.

And bitching about it is exactly what this kind of forum exists for. It's not a frikking 'tax' at all, it's daylight robbery!

Ok, yes, I'm conveniently ignoring the 'appropriate tax forms' dig, but it's this kind of bizarre indirect 'taxation' that makes me all the more likely to make every effort to bypass AFIP at every possible opportunity.
    This also applies to buying stuff online such as Amazon etc.

http://www.buenosairesherald.com/art...ard-use-abroad

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Go  [View Original Post]
    I'm living on one where you look at the way things are and figure out the best way to take advantage of a situation. Bitching about it doesn't really enter into it.
    I hired a car when in the UK. The Argentinian authorities are 'taxing' me an extra 15% on top of what I gave to Avis.

Please, tell me how best to take advantage of that situation. I'd really like to know.

And bitching about it is exactly what this kind of forum exists for. It's not a frikking 'tax' at all, it's daylight robbery!

Ok, yes, I'm conveniently ignoring the 'appropriate tax forms' dig, but it's this kind of bizarre indirect 'taxation' that makes me all the more likely to make every effort to bypass AFIP at every possible opportunity.

No.

Yeah it's a really GREAT deal that you have to pay 15% to AFIP on what you're spending in a different country! What planet do YOU live on?
    I'm living on one where you look at the way things are and figure out the best way to take advantage of a situation. Bitching about it doesn't really enter into it. Besides, you get the 15% back from AFIP when you file the appropriate tax forms.

Now that last bit really is from another planet.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Easy Go For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Member #3320  [View Original Post]
    You do not have a British credit / debit card?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Go  [View Original Post]
    Even with the 15, it's a great deal since charges convert at the official rate.
    Yeah it's a really GREAT deal that you have to pay 15% to AFIP on what you're spending in a different country! What planet do YOU live on?

Even with the 15, it's a great deal since charges convert at the official rate. The "gotcha" is that it brings AFIP attention that might be unwanted.

It's for real.

Just got my credit card statement and there's an AFIP entry adding 15% on everything I spent on my recent trip the the UK & Canada.

ROBBING CNUTS!
    You used a Argentine credit / debit card? You do not have a British credit / debit card?

The "15% on your foreign spend" tax

It's for real.

Just got my credit card statement and there's an AFIP entry adding 15% on everything I spent on my recent trip the the UK & Canada.

ROBBING CNUTS!

Goddies

Last time through 11/11; two laptops, desktop, iPad, iPhone. 24" monitor no issues. I suspect most of the ball busting is directed at Argentinos. I was traveling on my back up CIA spy passport. (ok that's a lie, normal US passport) DavieW UK? Paladin US as as well?

Welcome back Davie.

I agree with DavieW. When I came through EZE in mid-September I was solo with 3 suitcases each filed with 50 pounds of shit for friends, plus a duffel bag filled with a computer and other electronics, plus an additional carry-on with a mini computer, three cell phones, and a Kindle Fire. A total of at least 200 pounds of goodies including two new play stations and no one raised an eye. Not bad for a solo traveler- at least Davie had his son!

Getting through Customs

Came back through Ezeiza on Wednesday with 4 bags stuffed with goodies from a trip to the UK and Canada. Nothing excessive, a few electronic goods (Bluray player, iPad, Kindle) a whole bunch of kids toys and clothes and some foodstuffs (bacon, baked beans, sauces etc).

My bags were x-rayed and I was waved straight through. I'm not sure if the fact that I was traveling alone with my 4 year old gave me a free pass, but I didn't see anyone else getting their bags emptied either. They seemed to be letting everyone through, even those carrying big flat-screen TVs.

Wish I'd brought more now!

Posting Limitations