Thread: Travel Problems

+ Submit Report
This blog is moderated by WorldTravel69

Former Airline employee

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas90  [View Original Post]
    Interesting, especially this bit: 'the conditions of carriage on all tickets require that the customer fly all legs of their journey. This means the onward ticket becomes void if the first leg is not flown. ' So if you book a long distance flight with a short haul stopover at the beginning, and then for whatever reason change your plans and travel independently to the long haul starting point, you could be treated as a 'no show' and bumped off the long haul flight even though you checked in at the appointed time. At least that's how I read it. I had half a mind to do that on one occasion in the past but the advice I got from the agent was the same as above. Not clear from the article whether this policy applies to all airlines but I'm glad now that I didn't try it.
    I worked for one of the majors for a long time and your scenerio is exactly what would happen. You would show up at the gateway destination and not have a ticket. The tickets are automatically voided when first leg not flown. Normally on the return there is wiggle room but not according to terms and conditions, you accept at purchase.

Conditions of Carriage are an interesting thing. No airline promises airtravel, they sell carriage. It is within the scope of agreement to put you in an oxcart. Carriage also doesn't define time for travel to start or stop. It's essentially a HUGE rulebook, usually buried inside a closet behind the ticket counter, that lays out step by step how an airline can 100% fuck you.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Daddy Rulz For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by WorldTravel69  [View Original Post]
    Here is a good reason to double check what time and day your flight is.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/30/yo...mare.html?_r=0
    Interesting, especially this bit: 'the conditions of carriage on all tickets require that the customer fly all legs of their journey. This means the onward ticket becomes void if the first leg is not flown. ' So if you book a long distance flight with a short haul stopover at the beginning, and then for whatever reason change your plans and travel independently to the long haul starting point, you could be treated as a 'no show' and bumped off the long haul flight even though you checked in at the appointed time. At least that's how I read it. I had half a mind to do that on one occasion in the past but the advice I got from the agent was the same as above. Not clear from the article whether this policy applies to all airlines but I'm glad now that I didn't try it.

Travel Problems

Here is a good reason to double check what time and day your flight is.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/30/yo...mare.html?_r=0

Posting Limitations