Thread: Buying a New Car in Argentina

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
This blog is moderated by El Queso

I Did Not Consider That.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Star  [View Original Post]
    Trunk is too small for airport
    I did not notice or consider that but the car has a CLS slope to it, it looks like the swept back 4-door Benz and it will get you laid!

Shit, a bus, train or subway ride down here will get you laid too!

TL

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre  [View Original Post]
    The VW Passat CC is a very attractive car with a lot of luxury features. Best looking New car on the road for the money.

TL
    Trunk is too small for airport

Administrator

Venues: 398
    Quote Originally Posted by El Queso  [View Original Post]
    No way. Can you imagine any Argentine "lending" a car out to someone to drive, take care of, and return in reasonably good condition for three years? Not even someone they know personally most likely!
    You can do it, but somebody not related to you would have to pledge the title of their car to quarantee the lease on your car.

ROTFLMAO!

Jax

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jackson For This Post:

VW Passat CC

Yes, the Vento is very tempting, but in the USA VW has an economy car stigma, wheareas a Puegeot has some sex appeal and style, more of something special vs a VW Jetta.
    The VW Passat CC is a very attractive car with a lot of luxury features. Best looking New car on the road for the money.

TL

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung  [View Original Post]
    Exactly. For a person making his living with a car it's deadly having an import. Even certain Mercs, Beemers or Audies would be better than the C6. More of them means more parts!

The 408 is a nice car and relatively inexpensive. I mean comparing to the C6. Have you looked into the VW range?
    Yes, the Vento is very tempting, but in the USA VW has an economy car stigma, wheareas a Puegeot has some sex appeal and style, more of something special vs a VW Jetta.

I have no choice but to buy a locally made car, unfortunately as I need my cars on the road, not down waiting for parts. So I'm going with a Puegeot 408 Sedan, Sport. I got about 10K off sticker for cash. I am taking a bath on my Citroen C6 Exclusive, but I can't get the front suspension fixed, dealer tells me they can't get parts. Car has a very nice, upscale interior. Can't wait to put it in service, will be for my 1 and 2 PAX and Executives. Keeping an eye on the new redesigned C4 Sedan, I hear July '13.
    Exactly. For a person making his living with a car it's deadly having an import. Even certain Mercs, Beemers or Audies would be better than the C6. More of them means more parts!

The 408 is a nice car and relatively inexpensive. I mean comparing to the C6. Have you looked into the VW range?

In an economy with 40% inflation 30% interest isn't insane.

I have a Mondeo. It's a great car but you can buy two Megans for the same price. The fully equipped one is well over 250 thousand pesos and don't forget every spare part you buy will cost 4 times a local product. Plus, as imports are highly restricted, if they don't have the part here it will take weeks, even months for the dealer to get it.

They are made in Belgium but as from 2013 they will also be made in the US. In the US they will be called Ford Fusion. The old Mondeo (Mk2 late 90s. Early 2000s) was also built in the US and known as the Ford Contour. If that can be used as a reference I dearly hope they import the Belgium made cars to Argentina and not the American ones. The difference in quality between the European built cars and the American ones was enormous both in technology as in manufacture.
    I have no choice but to buy a locally made car, unfortunately as I need my cars on the road, not down waiting for parts. So I'm going with a Puegeot 408 Sedan, Sport. I got about 10K off sticker for cash. I am taking a bath on my Citroen C6 Exclusive, but I can't get the front suspension fixed, dealer tells me they can't get parts. Car has a very nice, upscale interior. Can't wait to put it in service, will be for my 1 and 2 PAX and Executives. Keeping an eye on the new redesigned C4 Sedan, I hear July '13.

Queso . Have you looked into a credito prendario from a bank? The Santander Rio I think has reasonable (by Argentine standards) loans for purchasing cars. I think you need to have something like 15% of the value. The interest rate is also somewhere between 28 and 29% but you get the car immediately and don't have to go through the stupid lottery games and so on.

30% interest would be considered Usury in a lot of the states in the USA.

That's insane!

Hey Cheese, have you ever seen the Ford Mondeo? Best looking Ford on the road, built in Belgium I think.

That one would be worth buying.

TL
    In an economy with 40% inflation 30% interest isn't insane.

I have a Mondeo. It's a great car but you can buy two Megans for the same price. The fully equipped one is well over 250 thousand pesos and don't forget every spare part you buy will cost 4 times a local product. Plus, as imports are highly restricted, if they don't have the part here it will take weeks, even months for the dealer to get it.

They are made in Belgium but as from 2013 they will also be made in the US. In the US they will be called Ford Fusion. The old Mondeo (Mk2 late 90s. Early 2000s) was also built in the US and known as the Ford Contour. If that can be used as a reference I dearly hope they import the Belgium made cars to Argentina and not the American ones. The difference in quality between the European built cars and the American ones was enormous both in technology as in manufacture.

Venues: 8
    I'd look into this better if I was you. It's put together in Argentina but the mechanical parts will mostly be imported. See what the salesman has to say about supply of parts. Or should I say, see what they will give you in writing.
    Yeah, I have a refrigerator that was assembled here, but many of the parts are made in Brasil, particularly circuit boards. I bought my refrigerator about 5 years ago for 3000 pesos, the same one now goes for around $7000-8000. My control circuit went out a week ago and we've spent the week trying to get a replacement board for it. They finally found one. For a measly $1400 pesos! The circuit board is so simple, couldn't have cost more than a few dollars at the most to make. But they're getting scarce.

Venues: 8
    .I have no idea why they would have been laughing at a "no sale." It makes no sense or cents.
    I think it was because I was in there for half an hour grilling the kid. I asked him every conceivable question, sometimes at from different directions when I didn't understand, pulling details out of him that he didn't realize I didn't already know, etc. He was young, probably hadn't been doing this very long, and it may have been a bit of a hazing. Maybe that's why the guy who my wife made the appointment with suddenly wasn't there. When they saw it was a foreigner, I figure they figured that I had no idea how things worked and the kid was thrown at me to see how he did.

Of course, he wasn't very clear, and I can sort of understand why. As he told me at one point, they've been doing this for 50 years, everyone already pretty much understands it. But they're also aware (at least many are) that things are not necessarily so convoluted and difficult and expensive in other places in the world. More than once, he looked at me after a couple of my exclamations of surprise, shrugged his shoulders, and said (sheepishly)"this is Argentina."

Do they offer Leasing in this country? An unknown practice that would leave a local flabbergasted! What do you mean I have to give it back in 3 years and that It's not mine? Maybe they do offer something like that.
    No way. Can you imagine any Argentine "lending" a car out to someone to drive, take care of, and return in reasonably good condition for three years? Not even someone they know personally most likely!

Hey Cheese, have you ever seen the Ford Mondeo? Best looking Ford on the road, built in Belgium I think.
    Yeah, they were the company car in Scotland in the late 90s / early 2000s. Of course I drove the damned things on the wrong side of the road there.

Not a bad car, although I haven't driven one in about 10 years to tell the truth. Back then they were a middle level car, nothing fancy. Never seen them here, that I've realized anyway.

30% Interest is Usury!

Quote Originally Posted by Esten  [View Original Post]
    30% down and 30% interest? That's crazy, at least the interest is. I bought a new car in the US a few years ago. 15% down and paid the rest over 36 months@1% interest.

And what would they have been cheering about when you left. That they didn't make a sale? Very odd.
    30% interest would be considered Usury in a lot of the states in the USA.

That's insane!

I'm surprised, or not really, that they did not send in a manager to take a "Turn" on the Big Cheese. In the USA nobody walks off the lot without being turned to a Closer first. Typical Argie Lazyness?

I have no idea why they would have been laughing at a "no sale." It makes no sense or cents.

Do they offer Leasing in this country? An unknown practice that would leave a local flabbergasted! What do you mean I have to give it back in 3 years and that It's not mine? Maybe they do offer something like that. What about a million dollar tractor? How do you buy those?

That one would be worth buying.

TL

Quote Originally Posted by DavieW  [View Original Post]
    That may be true, but what happened in the 1930s isn't really relevant!
    I was referring to the last ten years, I have no idea about the 30's.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf50  [View Original Post]
    But thats how much they always charge, even when the inflation is lower and wage inceases are low.
    That may be true, but what happened in the 1930s isn't really relevant!

Administrator

Venues: 398
    Quote Originally Posted by Esten  [View Original Post]
    And what would they have been cheering about when you left. that they didn't make a sale? Very odd.
    They'd be congratulating Hernan on the way he "stood up" the the American when he was challenged.

This is similar to the way the Arab world admired Tariq Aziz (the now former Iraq Foreign Minister) when he stood in front of the news cameras denying that the Americans had reached Baghdad, even as American armored vehicles paraded behind him. In their eyes he was a hero for "standing up" to the Americans.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jackson For This Post:

Posting Limitations