Thread: Local lawyer

+ Submit Report
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
This blog is moderated by DavieW

You just will NOT FIND ANY lawyer-

- for amounts like that.

If a lawyer writes a Carta Documento for you, he charges in between 150 to 250 Pesos. Usually you need two CD, as they may answer the first = P.S. 300.500.

If he achieves a deal without going to court he will charge 2000 to 4000 P.S.

If he has to go to court, at least P.S. 4000.- plus 15 to 20 % of the result.

That is why they are doing nothing as they know, you will not find anyone.

Forget the money, it is never away, just somebody else has it.

Quote Originally Posted by Caricoso  [View Original Post]
    And where you are coming from, lawyers are "very affordable", always tell you exactly the cost to resolve any issue, and "extremely honest".
    You OBVIOUSLY have not had the misfortune to need a lawyer in Argentina! They are worse then useless, they are outright thieves! Although I am sure there are one or two somewhere that are honest, good luck finding them!

Legal Fees

Quote Originally Posted by DavieW  [View Original Post]

So it's 'only' 700 bucks. Are you suggesting I just say "oh fcuk it, I'll let them have it"?
    I am writing this on the assumption that you have paid the MC bill and it is too late to dispute the charge. I also learned the hard way. That is one reason that I automatically dispute a questionable charge as soon as it appears on my monthly bill.

I do not know how much Argentina lawyers charge, but in the USA $700 will barely get you in a good lawyer's door. MC and LAN have lawyers on their staff who deal with these things on a regular, routine basis, and whose job it is to make the little guy pay. It may leave a sour taste in your mouth, but unless Argentina law makes MC and / or LAN liable for your legal fees, the cheapest alternative is probably just to walk away, and chalk it up to experience.

Tres3.

Quote Originally Posted by Toymann  [View Original Post]
    Such a shame you are having this issue. Not sure if an argentine based MasterCard is different from a US based card, BUT, if this happened to me I would just decline the charge. End of story and then LAN would have to come to you, no lawyer needed, to resolve the dispute (which MasterCard would mediate, and they know who there customer is! Did you not have this option with you argentine based MasterCard? Just curious. Toymann.
    Mastercard told me in January that they were going to sort it out on my behalf. When I called them last week to ask them what was going on they said the matter had been resolved and closed 2 months ago and there's nothing further they can do as the problem is with LAN. They were worse than useless, and having failed to inform me that they'd washed their hands of the issue, have cost me 2 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson  [View Original Post]
    I'm also curious. Are you talking (approximately) about $500 bucks or $50,000 bucks?
    The charge should have been USD350 for a cancelled ticket and they've taken USD1100. Actually they're STILL taking it, because it's coming out in quotas! Mastercard didn't even suspend the quotas whilst they were supposedly investigating.

So it's 'only' 700 bucks. Are you suggesting I just say "oh fcuk it, I'll let them have it"?

Administrator

Venues: 398
    LAN, in Argentina, have ripped me off by taking more cash than they should have from my Argentinian Mastercard issued by HSBC, in Argentina, for tickets purchased in Argentina for flights from Argentina. I live in Argentina. Everything I own, everything I do, is in Argentina. I have no connections with the USA (and never have). I no longer have any connections with the UK, having only even visited once in the last 6 years.

I think, what I need, is an Argentinian lawyer!

I would hope, as WW suggests, that a letter 'threatening' legal action from a lawyer will hopefully be enough. They've been passing the buck, blaming each other, for the last 6 months and they're no longer listening to anything that I'm saying.
    I'm also curious. Are you talking (approximately) about $500 bucks or $50,000 bucks?

Just curious?

LAN, in Argentina, have ripped me off by taking more cash than they should have from my Argentinian Mastercard issued by HSBC, in Argentina, for tickets purchased in Argentina for flights from Argentina. I live in Argentina. Everything I own, everything I do, is in Argentina. I have no connections with the USA (and never have). I no longer have any connections with the UK, having only even visited once in the last 6 years.

I would hope, as WW suggests, that a letter 'threatening' legal action from a lawyer will hopefully be enough. They've been passing the buck, blaming each other, for the last 6 months and they're no longer listening to anything that I'm saying.
    Such a shame you are having this issue. Not sure if an argentine based MasterCard is different from a US based card, BUT, if this happened to me I would just decline the charge. End of story and then LAN would have to come to you, no lawyer needed, to resolve the dispute (which MasterCard would mediate, and they know who there customer is! Did you not have this option with you argentine based MasterCard? Just curious. Toymann.

Local lawyer

PM Miami Bob and if he feels so inclined, he might provide you with a good one.

It's none of my business but, the amount in question would need to be fairly large to make this worth while. Also, the suggestion of doing it in the USA, if possible, is a good one. The legal system in Argentina makes the US look fast and efficient. Also, the outcome is often determined before things get started, if you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf50  [View Original Post]
    Lawyers here are WORTHLESS! Most don't have any idea what they are doing and they all charge a large percentage of what they think the case is worth. They dont want to work by the hour. You are better off getting a lawyer from where ever you live. (hopefully its not here!)
    And where you are coming from, lawyers are "very affordable", always tell you exactly the cost to resolve any issue, and "extremely honest".

You don't want that fight too happen here lawyer up in the USA or where your from

Will take a long time here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf50  [View Original Post]
    Lawyers here are WORTHLESS!
    I'd kind of assumed that would be mostly true, which is why I came on here looking for a recommendation!

Yes, I live here. :

Anybody know of a local lawyer with a knowledge of finance?

I'm in an ongoing fight with LAN and Mastercard that's gone round in enough circles and it's time to go legal on their arses.
    Lawyers here are WORTHLESS! Most don't have any idea what they are doing and they all charge a large percentage of what they think the case is worth. They dont want to work by the hour. You are better off getting a lawyer from where ever you live. (hopefully its not here!)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gandolf50 For This Post:

Local lawyer

Anybody know of a local lawyer with a knowledge of finance?

I'm in an ongoing fight with LAN and Mastercard that's gone round in enough circles and it's time to go legal on their arses.

Posting Limitations