Thread: AP House poker game

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
This blog is moderated by Daddy Rulz

Nothing to do with poker

I've been saving Game of Thrones Season 3 for a special occasion. It's cold as fuck, Sunday so no mongering, and the house is empty sooooo Game of Thrones marathon starts in 3. 2. 1. Any and all Westeros fans are welcome to swing by with pizza.

Call or PM first.

Poker

Sorry guy, but I would have to charge everyone for using my name!

What do you think gentlemen?

Quote Originally Posted by Tres3  [View Original Post]
    I hosted a Thursday night game that had between 10 and 14 regular players. Anywhere from 5 to 8 would show up every week, and we would cut the pot a few dollars each hand until the refreshments and clean up, which included cold cuts, were paid for. Each player brought his own alcohol, and I paid for the rest. We played $100 dollar buy in, pot limit, dealer's choice, with a $1.00 ante by the dealer. A player had to go broke before he could buy in again. The game lasted for more than 3 years. One of the players donated the chips, and we had 2 new decks of cards each week. The game started at 8 PM and had to stop at 1 AM.

Tres3.
    If we go with alternating tournament style and cash every other week this might be the format for the weeks we do cash, though I would say cut the max buy in by half. $100 bucks might be a little salty for some of the guys that may come. Maybe even $25 bucks so they could have a second bullet. I like the cut off time because after the game I'll have a couple hours of work to do.

Davie would you care to propose a format for the tournament weeks?

My thinking in alternating them at first is to see which is most popular though if more guys don't say they would come it's a non-starter. I know one guy that hasn't posted that told me he's interested. That gives us four players at this point.

No Limit Holdum

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyRulz  [View Original Post]
    Doyle Brunson the second best (maybe third best) card player that's ever lived calls No Limit Holdum "The Cadillac of Card Games" holdum gets a bad name because a lot of idiots play it. Though they do make it a profitable undertaking in Atlantic City. I've played a lot of games as well and in my opinion no game holds my interest as much as no limit holdum for serious card play. One lapse in concentration and there goes your whole night. No game allows you to set as profitable traps, nor allows nearly as much layered thinking.

All that being said, the mission here is to find something fun to do on a night when there isn't much pussy to be had. So long as the company is interesting I'll play old maids for matchsticks, though I draw the line at Monopoly.

Davie regarding bankrolls here's what The Man himself says, "A man with money is no match against a man on a mission.
    I tend to agree with you regarding no limit holdum, especially when you add multiple tables and television to the mix; however, we are not talking about a no limit game. I think we are talking about a "friendly" game where no one gets hurt unless he is reckless and drinks too much. When I lived in Costa Rica I hosted a Thursday night game that had between 10 and 14 regular players. Anywhere from 5 to 8 would show up every week, and we would cut the pot a few dollars each hand until the refreshments and clean up, which included cold cuts, were paid for. Each player brought his own alcohol, and I paid for the rest. We played $100 dollar buy in, pot limit, dealer's choice, with a $1.00 ante by the dealer. A player had to go broke before he could buy in again. The game lasted for more than 3 years. One of the players donated the chips, and we had 2 new decks of cards each week. The game started at 8 PM and had to stop at 1 AM.

Tres3.

I'm with Doyle

Quote Originally Posted by Tres3  [View Original Post]
    I am in the USA at the moment, but have played a lot of poker in my life, so I will put my dos centavos worth in the pot. I agree with Don be. Texas holdem is great for television but not for a friendly game that will last several hours. I prefer dealer's choice, pot limit, with only the dealer required to ante. The heavy drinkers with deep pockets almost always lose, regardless of the game played, so why don't you have a friendly game on an off night for mongering?

Tres3.
    Doyle Brunson the second best (maybe third best) card player that's ever lived calls No Limit Holdum "The Cadillac of Card Games" holdum gets a bad name because a lot of idiots play it. Though they do make it a profitable undertaking in Atlantic City. I've played a lot of games as well and in my opinion no game holds my interest as much as no limit holdum for serious card play. One lapse in concentration and there goes your whole night. No game allows you to set as profitable traps, nor allows nearly as much layered thinking.

All that being said, the mission here is to find something fun to do on a night when there isn't much pussy to be had. So long as the company is interesting I'll play old maids for matchsticks, though I draw the line at Monopoly.

Davie regarding bankrolls here's what The Man himself says, "A man with money is no match against a man on a mission.

AP House Poker Game

Quote Originally Posted by DonB  [View Original Post]
    ..Texas holdem is a sorry excuse for a poker game...

Don B.
    I am in the USA at the moment, but have played a lot of poker in my life, so I will put my dos centavos worth in the pot. I agree with Don be. Texas holdem is great for television but not for a friendly game that will last several hours. I prefer dealer's choice, pot limit, with only the dealer required to ante. The heavy drinkers with deep pockets almost always lose, regardless of the game played, so why don't you have a friendly game on an off night for mongering?

Tres3.

Texas holdem

Quote Originally Posted by Jackpot  [View Original Post]
    My two cents say that texas holdem will limit your attendance.

IMO its too much a crash and burn and oftimes the foolhardy are rewarded.

For having more money than skill.

I suggest another alternative game along the lines of conventional poker.

Perhaps two tables with different games.

Blackjack would also work if some one were to be the dealer and the deal changing on a.

REAL blackjack.

Texas holdem is for palookas with too much money...

Jackpot.

But Hats off to DR and Jax for pressing on with the last item for our Gentlemens club.
    I agree. Texas holdem is a sorry excuse for a poker game. I played a lot of poker 60 years ago. My favorite was a version of 7 card stud called Deception. I always called it when it was my deal much to the dislike of about half the players. It requires thinking which is beyond a lot of people. It is a high-low game. You get 7 cards face down and pick the 5 you want to play. Place them in the order you want to turn them and you cannot change the order. On the last round you cal high or low. I have seen the high hand win low and the low hand win high in the same hand.

Don B.

For full disclosure, I do have a ranking on the WSOP all-time money list....

16,232nd!

Ha, ha!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DavieW For This Post:

Poker or whatever

My two cents say that texas holdem will limit your attendance.

IMO its too much a crash and burn and oftimes the foolhardy are rewarded.

For having more money than skill.

I suggest another alternative game along the lines of conventional poker.

Perhaps two tables with different games.

Blackjack would also work if some one were to be the dealer and the deal changing on a.

REAL blackjack.

Texas holdem is for palookas with too much money...

Jackpot.

But Hats off to DR and Jax for pressing on with the last item for our Gentlemens club.
    Last edited by Jackpot; 07-06-13 at 19:16. Reason: spelling

Well maybe you can do both

Quote Originally Posted by DavieW  [View Original Post]
    The more I think about it, the more inclined I am to say "tournament only" for me.

I've never played cash games, for the simple reason that they always favour whoever has the deepest pockets and I have very shallow pockets!

In a tournament it's a level playing field.

Although if the stakes are low enough and it's more of a social thing, I guess I'd think about jumping into a cash game?
    The intention is to have something to do on an off night brother, not to deplete your wallet, so far we have three players maybe four, we will make it work Hoss if we get enough guys.

The more I think about it, the more inclined I am to say "tournament only" for me.

I've never played cash games, for the simple reason that they always favour whoever has the deepest pockets and I have very shallow pockets!

In a tournament it's a level playing field.

Although if the stakes are low enough and it's more of a social thing, I guess I'd think about jumping into a cash game?

Biggest problem with tournaments

Quote Originally Posted by Kevins  [View Original Post]
    Might offer to be dealer as would like to watch...why not a winner take all texas holdem night where all put in the same and start with same chips and winner takes all or top two? Controlled loss everyone starts even ...not a bad way to try ...just one opinion...anyway cards chips etc all for the cause.
    In a small game like this as guys get knocked out, well, they can't play because they are knocked out. We could have rapidly escalating blinds to make them go faster but then that gets you into the whole "all in madness" at the end due to the massive blinds that people dislike. If you keep a slow progression of blinds the play is better but the guys that are out wait longer.

It might not be a bad thing because having something to do on off mongering nights is the idea, and with the tournaments you have periods of play then breaks as you wait for the next one. Though I used to play in this crazy tournament at this Vietnamese guys house in Austin. The way the buyins were set up made an interesting game. There was an initial substantial buyin, for our purposes say 200 pesos, then there was unlimited buy ins for 25% of the original for 50% of the original chips until the break. At the break you could do an optional addon which was 100% of the original for 100% of the original chips. After the break, no more buyins, when you were out you were out. This made for crazy action in the beginning then serious poker after the break. Generally there was enough to pay 3 spots for ten handed, with a 50/30/20 split or more top heavy at 70/20/10.

Personally I prefer a well matched cash game because everybody gets to stay and play but it's not my game, it's the house game. I'm willing to go with the consensus on this.

I also propose these rules (some of them don't apply because it's not multiple table play but the actions rules can except for the ones to speed up play with mutual consent (rabbit hunting ect). Trust me, I've played in enough of these, regardless of the amount of money guys need accepted rules for poker or Doppelganger will need that belly gun. The IFP is pretty much the gold standard for this stuff.

http://www.pokerfed.org/library/rules/

I have chips etc to donate tomthe cause...

Might offer to be dealer as would like to watch...why not a winner take all texas holdem night where all put in the same and start with same chips and winner takes all or top two? Controlled loss everyone starts even ...not a bad way to try ...just one opinion...anyway cards chips etc all for the cause.

Cash v tourny

Maybe we could alternate starting out, 1st and 3rd week tourney, 2nd and 4th cash to see what is most popular.

There are three different ways you can do cash games, limit where the bet is set per round 5/10 would mean 5 peso bet preflop and flop, then 10 peso bet turn and river. Limit games generally have a 3-4 bet limit per round. It's an OK game but favors the math guys.

No limit with enough money on the table isn't a typical Argie game with guys going all in every hand, if you have enough money on the table to sting a little then guys do more betting than moving all in though that's an option if you want to protect your hand. Obviously this favors the "play the man not the cards" guys.

We could play pot limit, where the bet is always limited by what is in the pot, that can quickly turn into all in depending on preflop and flop action, but it's a nice compromise between the math and people players.

Thanks for the offer of the chips, that might be something to take you up on until we see if guys actually show up. Are the cards paper or plastic? (please no supermarket jokes).

Doppelganger I have played cards with old boys from your neck of the woods, no belly guns! LOL.

AP Poker Night

Yea I'd give it a try. Be in town on Tuesday.

Posting Limitations