Thread: Tech stuff

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
This blog is moderated by Daddy Rulz

Quote Originally Posted by DonB  [View Original Post]
    The Bs As cell phones begin with either 11 or 15.

To dial a cell phone from outside it is 54911+the last 8 digits.

Omitting the 15 and I assume the 11.

This means there cannot be a duplication of numbers within the 11 and 15 number trees.

This being the case why have the 2 codes?

I have called 15 numbers without a problem.

But 11 numbers have not connected, tried omitting the 11 and leaving it in but fails either way.

I bring this up as I am going to have my 11 cell phone as my only contact for the next two days.

And I need to know what to tell US contacts to dial.

This is frustrating as I was a telephone switching systems engineer.

Don B.
    An internet search led to the conclusion that maybe.

With a 11 cell the 11 is not omitted but with a 15 cell the 15 is.

Don B.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyRulz  [View Original Post]
    I have never been able to figure this out. I hope somebody knows. My workaround is to explain to people that it's Argentina, nobody really knows and if 15 doesn't work, try 11.

DR.
    I think you are referring to cell calls inside Bs As.

Don B.

Sportsman

I have never been able to figure this out. I hope somebody knows. My workaround is to explain to people that it's Argentina, nobody really knows and if 15 doesn't work, try 11.

DR.
    I think Sportsman is the expert/wizard on the Argie phone madness. Maybe he will weigh in.

Good question

Quote Originally Posted by DonB  [View Original Post]

This means there cannot be a duplication of numbers within the 11 and 15 number trees.

But 11 numbers have not connected, tried omitting the 11 and leaving it in but fails either way.

I bring this up as I am going to have my 11 cell phone as my only contact for the next two days.

Don B.

DR.

Phone numbers

Don B.

This one is kind of nasty

Make sure your anti virus is up to date and that you have installed all updates for windows.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/29186...-detected.html#tk.nl_pcwbest.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBossMan  [View Original Post]
    I was looking for a solution to project what is on my computer to the TV. For example, I found a couple of times last trip that I wanted to play some local music and was relegated to MTV and the constant commercials sometimes at critical moments. I was thinking of bringing my Roku on the next trip but that would not solve the football problem. With NFL Game Plan, you can watch any game any where in the world for $300. Of course, NFL Game Plan was free in Argentina last year.

I was casting around for other solutions and I discovered that my Google Nexus 10 has a HDMI port. For $20 I bought a 15' micro HDMI to HDMI cable. It works great. Being a 15' cable I thought there might be degradation but that is an analog problem not a digital one.

Of course you still need to rent a place with flat screen TV and good Wifi.

Besides football there is a lot of interesting free stuff like music documentaries and movies on You Tube and Amazon Prime.
    So I left my 15' cable at home. At went to the computer galleria at Florida 537 and bought a 3 meter cable but it required a micro adapter (HDMI A to D) to fit my Google tablet. Well these adaptors are just too cheaply made. I have already broken two of them. I guess this is a known problem as the lady I spoke to today just nodded her head. So I bought a pre-built 1 meter cable micro HDMI to HDMI cable and it is much better quality. Of course this was another 180 pesos and I cannot manipulate the tablet in bed. Take it on faith that your 20 year old chica likes to dance to Shakira and Beyonce videos. Sorry Esten, Gotan just did not do it for her even though I like it. I hope I saved you all some coin through my own mistakes.
    Last edited by Big Boss Man; 11-21-14 at 15:28. Reason: To give a shout to Esten

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Boss Man For This Post:

Instant translation for chat

For you guys that chat with chicks online and don't speak the language very well.

http://lifehacker.com/use-google-she...tor-1647800719

Micro HDMI to HDMI cable

I was looking for a solution to project what is on my computer to the TV. For example, I found a couple of times last trip that I wanted to play some local music and was relegated to MTV and the constant commercials sometimes at critical moments. I was thinking of bringing my Roku on the next trip but that would not solve the football problem. With NFL Game Plan, you can watch any game any where in the world for $300. Of course, NFL Game Plan was free in Argentina last year.

I was casting around for other solutions and I discovered that my Google Nexus 10 has a HDMI port. For $20 I bought a 15' micro HDMI to HDMI cable. It works great. Being a 15' cable I thought there might be degradation but that is an analog problem not a digital one.

Of course you still need to rent a place with flat screen TV and good Wifi.

Besides football there is a lot of interesting free stuff like music documentaries and movies on You Tube and Amazon Prime.

99% of you guys need this

Http: www. Geek. Com / microsoft / microsoft-emulates-star-trek-turns-skype-into-a-universal-translator-1595044/.

Real time talk in one language hear in another.

Sorry brother

Quote Originally Posted by DavieW  [View Original Post]
    I've just been through exactly the same search! I ended up finding a Logitech one for 110 pesos, but got it home to find it was worse than rubbish. Ended up spending 800 pesos on a Sennheiser headset (I have it on most of the day for work), only to get that home and find it's so uncomfortable that I have to take it off every 5 minutes.

Unfortunately I'm now stuck with these two options....I ain't throwing any more money at it!

e2a: I had that Microsoft one on a list of possible solutions when I went to the Galeria, but as you said, nobody had it, or anything like it. Your post came 4 days too late. :-(
    Weirdest part, it's cheaper here than on Microsofts web site. Might not be a bad idea to snag one while you know where it is, it won't go bad sitting on a shelf.

My Logitech headset gave up the ghost and I needed a new one. After checking EVERY shop in galaria jardin for a decent headset with a boom mike and USB to no avail I found one at the Falabella in Florida near Tucoman for about 250 P.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en...fechat-lx-3000
    I've just been through exactly the same search! I ended up finding a Logitech one for 110 pesos, but got it home to find it was worse than rubbish. Ended up spending 800 pesos on a Sennheiser headset (I have it on most of the day for work), only to get that home and find it's so uncomfortable that I have to take it off every 5 minutes.

Unfortunately I'm now stuck with these two options....I ain't throwing any more money at it!

e2a: I had that Microsoft one on a list of possible solutions when I went to the Galeria, but as you said, nobody had it, or anything like it. Your post came 4 days too late. :-(

Headsets

My Logitech headset gave up the ghost and I needed a new one. After checking EVERY shop in galaria jardin for a decent headset with a boom mike and USB to no avail I found one at the Falabella in Florida near Tucoman for about 250 P.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en...fechat-lx-3000

PC-Mac-Notebook Tech Support by fellow Expat

If your computer is slow, you need to upgrade PC hardware or are in general trouble, I highly recommend Aiontech. A small company ran by an American expat, so language is not an issue. Check them out http://aiontech.com.ar Hope this helps somebody.

Nikki.

I just had a guy bring me a Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007UIX1M4/...SIN=B007UIX1M4.

Before installing it, the idle temp on my desk top was around 30 degrees see under stress, about 70-75. Since putting it in, the idle temp is 19-20 and I'm converting a video right now, it's been running at 98-99 percent CPU load for 5 minutes and the temp on all 6 cores is holding at 32 see. Lets see how long it lasts but I'm amazed at the results so far.

It took about an hour to install and I had to lose one case fan to do it.

DR.
    Very nice!

Posting Limitations