Thread: World Cup, Brasil 2014

+ Submit Report
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
This blog is moderated by WorldTravel69
    Quote Originally Posted by RevBS  [View Original Post]
    The World Cup fans have really gone all out with their face paintings, hair colorings, banners, mascots, hats and outfits. For sure, the best football / party atmosphere ever. Even from just television, you can feel it coming through. Wow! Just to be there! Wish I had a few die hard football buddies to do that in Russia. A bit scary with all those Putin wannabes cutting queues and obnoxiously talking loudly and spraying into your face. And they might not take it too kindly if you manage to have some good looking Russian babe by your side. I had a young Russian thug accused loudly me of being Mafia when I objected to his joining his friend in front of me in the immigration line in Bangkok. It was only after 2 others at intervals had joined that I had objected.

My favorite sightings were the Dutch fans in their famous Orange. Especially was the guy in the 3rd world general / dictator outfit. Or Peron. I also spotted another guy in a cardinal pontif outfit.
    Whilst I was in Natal, the craziest fans in terms of dressing-up etc, were definitely the Mexicans, but surprisingly (?), the most enthusiastic, noisy, party animals were the Americans!

Bet

The new pope is betting against the old pope.

I saw them on TV holding their countries flags.

Fan outfits

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre  [View Original Post]
    heil messi!
    The World Cup fans have really gone all out with their face paintings, hair colorings, banners, mascots, hats and outfits. For sure, the best football / party atmosphere ever. Even from just television, you can feel it coming through. Wow! Just to be there! Wish I had a few die hard football buddies to do that in Russia. A bit scary with all those Putin wannabes cutting queues and obnoxiously talking loudly and spraying into your face. And they might not take it too kindly if you manage to have some good looking Russian babe by your side. I had a young Russian thug accused loudly me of being Mafia when I objected to his joining his friend in front of me in the immigration line in Bangkok. It was only after 2 others at intervals had joined that I had objected.

My favorite sightings were the Dutch fans in their famous Orange. Especially was the guy in the 3rd world general / dictator outfit. Or Peron. I also spotted another guy in a cardinal pontif outfit.

Heil messi!

Quote Originally Posted by doggboy  [View Original Post]
    i doubt the brazilian team would agree with you master j. A victory will do next to nothing to salvage their reputation with brazilians and a loss will only confirm what the public already thinks. A lose lose proposition.

As regards the nazis, there were plenty of them in chile and brazil, as well as argentina. Paraguay also.
    heil messi!

Peru

The Nazis must of have been in Peru also. At the Lima Museum they have a lot of Hitler's personal possessions. I wonder how they got them?

Quote Originally Posted by Doggboy  [View Original Post]
    I doubt the Brazilian team would agree with you Master J. A victory will do next to nothing to salvage their reputation with Brazilians and a loss will only confirm what the public already thinks. A lose lose proposition.

As regards the Nazis, there were plenty of them in Chile and Brazil, as well as Argentina. Paraguay also.

Administrator

Venues: 398

The Maracanazo: Brazilian Tragedy and the 1950 World Cup

Quote Originally Posted by MasterJ  [View Original Post]
    My friend who married a San Pauolo girl has been there since opening day and he said the family and town are devastated and this will be remembered for years if not decades.
    The Brazilians still nurture strong memories of the "Maracanazo", their unfamous loss to Uruguay in the 1950 World Cup Finals.

It's an interesting story.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...8bf_story.html

http://www.buenosairesherald.com/art...o-haunt-brazil

http://sites.duke.edu/wcwp/world-cup...ilian-tragedy/

Thanks,

Jax.

I doubt the Brazilian team would agree with you Master J. A victory will do next to nothing to salvage their reputation with Brazilians and a loss will only confirm what the public already thinks. A lose lose proposition.

As regards the Nazis, there were plenty of them in Chile and Brazil, as well as Argentina. Paraguay also.

I think this match for Brazil, after the German target practice match, is even more compelling. The Brazil team has so much to prove to their country and supporters who have been devastated by the result. My take in countries like these is it's religion, family, women, and soccer. Not sure which order.

My friend who married a San Pauolo girl has been there since opening day and he said the family and town are devastated and this will be remembered for years if not decades.

I will be watching the game to see if they show up, my guess is this will be a passionate game played as Netherlands certainly would not want to lose after the German game.

The joke I heard today was that Germany scored another goal today!

Not being a historian but was there not a connection after World war II where many Nazis fled and received safe harbor in Argentina? Any sidebar storyline to that?

After Brazil lost

Some went crazy.

This is in Portuguese but Google will translate the whole page.

http://g1.globo.com/sao-paulo/notici...da-regiao.html

Quote Originally Posted by FlexibleHorn  [View Original Post]
    I have never understood why they play this match. No one cares who finish 3rd or 4th not even the Dutch or Brazilians. It is all about revenue, more so these days.
    I think this match for Brazil, after the German target practice match, is even more compelling. The Brazil team has so much to prove to their country and supporters who have been devastated by the result. My take in countries like these is it's religion, family, women, and soccer. Not sure which order.

I will be watching the game to see if they show up, my guess is this will be a passionate game played as Netherlands certainly would not want to lose after the German game.

The joke I heard today was that Germany scored another goal today!

Not being a historian but was there not a connection after World war II where many Nazis fled and received safe harbor in Argentina? Any sidebar storyline to that?

Here Here!

Give them hell Rev!

As big a fan as I am of the sport, the people who run it are are as bent as they come.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to El Perro For This Post:

On Sunday, the World Cup Final will be play. Four to six weeks later, domestic league play in Europe and all over the world will begin. The Premier League (England) will play from the middle of August to the first week in May, weekly, sometimes 2 matches from Cup (domestic & European) matches. Throughout the year, top players will be playing for their countries in friendlies, qualifiers and various regional competitions. And so, in 2016, the UEFA Euro, lasting a month involving 24 teams (expanded from 16) plus the Olympic Games soccer competition in Rio de Janeiro will cost us sleep again. And then, just as we finally balance our savings account, the 2018 World Cup will be upon us again.

I watch Lionel Messi tried to make his signature runs against Holland. Time after time, he was dispossessed, very unlike the Messi we know. The fatigue from too many matches and all the knocks he took along the way was obviously the reason. Can we reduce the teams and matches? Of course not, the revenue flow has to be not only maintain, but increased. What are you, a fool! This is not a child's game!

Corporate Mentality has taken over the sports. Do you know how much it cost to see a Real Madrid game. For a family of four, I guarantee you that when you reach for your wallet, you will feel a painful zap. Causing you to change your mind, and instead, go for a leisurely walk around the Parque del Retiro, dragging your screaming mutinous clan.

Not surprisingly, a criminal investigation is now underway in Brazil over FIFA World Cup tickets allocation impropiety (scalping & big profits). An executive with Match Hospitality (have you seen their prices), parked at the luxurious Copacabana Palace, is now on the run. Is that you. DaveW, our man in Brazil?
    On Telenueve tonight: Airfare to Brazil this weekend $1,800 USD. Tickets for the game $80.000. Pesos! Hotel for the night $500 USD plus! F**k that Sh*t! Crazy! I remember when I was a kid and the base ball players went on strike! I kind of lost interest after that.

Nigeria team suspended

Why Money is Driving Football Insane!

On Sunday, the World Cup Final will be play. Four to six weeks later, domestic league play in Europe and all over the world will begin. The Premier League (England) will play from the middle of August to the first week in May, weekly, sometimes 2 matches from Cup (domestic & European) matches. Throughout the year, top players will be playing for their countries in friendlies, qualifiers and various regional competitions. And so, in 2016, the UEFA Euro, lasting a month involving 24 teams (expanded from 16) plus the Olympic Games soccer competition in Rio de Janeiro will cost us sleep again. And then, just as we finally balance our savings account, the 2018 World Cup will be upon us again.

I watch Lionel Messi tried to make his signature runs against Holland. Time after time, he was dispossessed, very unlike the Messi we know. The fatigue from too many matches and all the knocks he took along the way was obviously the reason. Can we reduce the teams and matches? Of course not, the revenue flow has to be not only maintain, but increased. What are you, a fool! This is not a child's game!

Corporate Mentality has taken over the sports. Do you know how much it cost to see a Real Madrid game. For a family of four, I guarantee you that when you reach for your wallet, you will feel a painful zap. Causing you to change your mind, and instead, go for a leisurely walk around the Parque del Retiro, dragging your screaming mutinous clan.

Not surprisingly, a criminal investigation is now underway in Brazil over FIFA World Cup tickets allocation impropiety (scalping & big profits). An executive with Match Hospitality (have you seen their prices), parked at the luxurious Copacabana Palace, is now on the run. Is that you. DaveW, our man in Brazil?

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rev BS For This Post:

They shouldn't even play for 3rd place on Saturday. Meaningless, who cares. Just more money for FIFA and TV, and more pain & injuries for the players.
    I have never understood why they play this match. No one cares who finish 3rd or 4th not even the Dutch or Brazilians. It is all about revenue, more so these days.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flexible Horn For This Post:

Come on Over!

Absolutely thrilled at the victory! Even more gratifying is watching the PK's with my adult kids who are now Argentina fans. It will be great if they beat the Germans.

Am even more delighted that Shakira or something like that will NOT be the half time show ala Super Bowl.z

This is mano to mano sport. Love it.
    I happen to think that the Germs are going to bring up that silly shit from the 30's , 40's and 50s .
    T.L

He'll , it went on forever !

Posting Limitations