Thread: World Cup, Brasil 2014

+ Submit Report
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
This blog is moderated by WorldTravel69

That may be so for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomaso276  [View Original Post]
    BORING for all of 120 minutes.
    But it was life & death for miliions in Holland and Argentina, and elsewhere. At this point of the competiition, players are dead dog tired and covered with bruises, you seldom will see a scintillating game like in the 1st or 2nd round. They shouldn't even play for 3rd place on Saturday. Meaningless, who cares. Just more money for FIFA and TV, and more pain & injuries for the players.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rev BS For This Post:

Congrats Argentina

Watched the game today from the Hotel Del Rey in San Jose. Crowd was hugely in favor of Argentina and ecstatic when they won. Bartenders all dressed up in blue and white. I'm not a huge soccer fan but have been enjoying the world cup games and find the playing at a high level. I thought Netherlands had a slight edge most of the game, they are probably wishing they switched their goalie like last game. I imagine BA will be buzzing with soccer excitement right up to the final game with Germany.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Esten For This Post:

BORING for all of 120 minutes.

No getting any sleep here tonight. The natives are out and raising hell!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gandolf50 For This Post:

World Cup

Absolutely thrilled at the victory! Even more gratifying is watching the PK's with my adult kids who are now Argentina fans. It will be great if they beat the Germans.

Am even more delighted that Shakira or something like that will NOT be the half time show ala Super Bowl.

This is mano to mano sport. Love it.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Master J For This Post:

Vamos Argentina!

The dutch team is not a joke, they are incredibly strong.

If Argentina is not careful they ARE going to end up having that dream game against brazil after all, and that too on the Brazilian home turf. LOL!

For all you Facebook guys

If you haven't seen this yet, this guy's a genius https://www.facebook.com/FacebookRef.

Some of the funniest stuff are his responses to comments.

For you non facebooky guys, here is his backstory. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8J7dFWZGzU.

My take

Brazil were over hyped by the media. For most of the past two years they weren't often ranked as a very good side. As the WC approached that changed for no good reason other than they were the host country. As the host country they weren't battle tested because they didn't have to fight their way through the grueling Qualifiers. Scolari was brought in as the manager, even though he is a retread, to pacify the Brazilians because they were ready to crucify the previous manager, Menezes.

Without Thiago Silva last night Brazil's defense was undisciplined, shocked by the first goal and damn near euthanized by the second. They looked like the walking dead. Luiz was everywhere except where he was supposed to be. The Germans are big, strong, fast and talented. And, there's a bunch of them.

Quote Originally Posted by RevBS  [View Original Post]
    Bleary eyed, I woke up 3:25 am. Turned on the tv. Oh, its 0-1, but who?(it was in Thai) But then the Germans scored, and the score showed 0-5. So the 1 was actually 4. But how can that be? It's Brazil, it's impossible! As much as I thought that Germany would win, this was very astonishing & depressing. There is no shame in losing, but this was just pure surrender. Or was it? The defensive formation without Thiago Silva look a little strange. Luis Gustavo was actually playing deep between Dante & Luitz. A 5-1-4 formation? The Germans just swept down the field in full flight. Did Scolari go bonkers? I'll let someone else break it down.

Like everything in life & history, nothing stays the same forever. And it is a big shock to the system. You are left reeling and feeling disoriented. I pray that Brazilian football can recapture that samba magic again. Where have you gone, Garrincha, Didi, Jair, Zico, Roberto, Socrates, Rivelino, Kaka?

"A nation turn it's lonely eyes to you"(Simon & Garfunkel).

Wie Gehts!

Quote Originally Posted by Spassmusssein  [View Original Post]
    To be honest, one of the few Mundial-matches I really enjoyed.

After, in 1966, "the second goal WAS NOT IN"!

But to be honest. The last goal was NOT necessary.

Tomorrow will have a party with my argentine friends and after Sunday I will live in Asuncion, a few weeks, maybe.
    Hola Amigo!

Congratulations!

Fuck Brazil!

I am so disappointed that Brazil scored a goal!

It should have been 10 to 1 !

TL.

Quote Originally Posted by Spassmusssein  [View Original Post]
    Tomorrow will have a party with my argentine friends
    That won't be much fun....they're going to get tonked as well!

:-)

It was close to BLITZKRIEG.

To be honest, one of the few Mundial-matches I really enjoyed.

After, in 1966, "the second goal WAS NOT IN"!

But to be honest. The last goal was NOT necessary.

Tomorrow will have a party with my argentine friends and after Sunday I will live in Asuncion, a few weeks, maybe.

Blitzkreig, 2014.

Bleary eyed, I woke up 3:25 am. Turned on the tv. Oh, its 0-1, but who?(it was in Thai) But then the Germans scored, and the score showed 0-5. So the 1 was actually 4. But how can that be? It's Brazil, it's impossible! As much as I thought that Germany would win, this was very astonishing & depressing. There is no shame in losing, but this was just pure surrender. Or was it? The defensive formation without Thiago Silva look a little strange. Luis Gustavo was actually playing deep between Dante & Luitz. A 5-1-4 formation? The Germans just swept down the field in full flight. Did Scolari go bonkers? I'll let someone else break it down.

Like everything in life & history, nothing stays the same forever. And it is a big shock to the system. You are left reeling and feeling disoriented. I pray that Brazilian football can recapture that samba magic again. Where have you gone, Garrincha, Didi, Jair, Zico, Roberto, Socrates, Rivelino, Kaka?

"A nation turn it's lonely eyes to you"(Simon & Garfunkel).

Alfredo de stefano, RIP.

When Pele broke out as a 17 year-old at the 1958 World Cup for Brazil, his name became synonymous with soccer.

But until then, Alfredo de Stefano was the superstar of South American and European soccer, so in fact, world soccer. Born in Buenos Aires in 1914, he started in an era when professionalism was in its infancy. And that is how he found himself playing in Colombia after starting out with River Plate. Then on to even bigger arenas & money in Spain. As a result, he ended up representing 3 countries, Argentina, Colombia and Spain. Real Madrid has been the original "dream team", long before the Jordan, Bird, Magic show. In 1959, the front line showcase Kopa (France), Puskas (Hungary), De Stefano (Spain), Didi (Brazil) and Gento (Spain).

His signing with Real Madrid in 1953 was clouded with controversy as Barcelona claim that they had a deal with River Plate. A court ruling forced him to play 2 years for each club, acrimony still surrounds his eventual joining Real Madrid. Even today, those 2 clubs still try to out-do each other in signing the best and most expensive players in the world.

A true centre forward of the old school as opposed to the striker of today, he embodies power, the ability to create space for himself in tight space, and a great shot.

For myself, he has been around so long, it's unbelievable. We used to pretend we were him even though we were playing barefooted and our knees were always scraped. And we always loved that sleek all white, long sleeve Real Madrid uniforms. But I was always a defender, so I never could be De Stefano.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rev BS For This Post:

Thanks FH. Heck of a complement coming from you and much appreciated. I follow the EPL religiously and know a bunch of expat Brits here in Thailand. Lots of football talk. I even know the meaning of knob jockey and tosser now.

Agreed about the lack of a favorite to win it. If forced I'd have to pick Germany. Tons of talent top to bottom and no major injuries since the WC began. Though even with that said they have looked as beatable as anybody else.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by FlexibleHorn  [View Original Post]
    Doggboy of all the Americans I have met on my travels you are the one and only I could have an interesting conversation about soccer with.

Maybe in a few years we will be chatting about the USA at Lords in a 5 day test match. .

Most neutral supporters want the dream final Brazil v Argentina. I'm one of the 99.99% of English people who won't be cheering for Germany. My father and grandfather would turn in their graves if I even thought about supporting them.

There is no stand out team this world cup and on their day any of the 4 could win it, I just hope the match officials don't spoil any of the remaining matches.

Posting Limitations