This blog is moderated by AllIWantIsLove

Prostitution in San Francisco

In the Gold Rush days.

Interesting history.

http://www.sfgate.com/default/articl...ld-5467114.php

2. The Following User Says Thank You to WorldTravel69 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiBob  [View Original Post]
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/30/op...rssnyt&emc=rss

This where Ms K is getting this misplaced point of view: prostitution= human trafficing.

In stead of putting resourses into stopping human trafficing, the west is wasting the resourses arresting the johns and making prositution a crimunal enterprise so the human trafficing peopole are running prositution--bad social policy that may be increasing human trafficing, but gathers headline in the media creating a false impression.
    I think most, if not all of Mrs. K's views are misplaced!

Interesting NY TIMES opinion piece on these issues

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/30/op...rssnyt&emc=rss

This where Ms K is getting this misplaced point of view: prostitution= human trafficing.

In stead of putting resourses into stopping human trafficing, the west is wasting the resourses arresting the johns and making prositution a crimunal enterprise so the human trafficing peopole are running prositution--bad social policy that may be increasing human trafficing, but gathers headline in the media creating a false impression.

Quote Originally Posted by TatuHei  [View Original Post]
    I don't see how laws <snip> of communications media.
    Well said!

Bob.

Sad to see

I don't see how laws against prostitution could be enforced in Latin America, but it is sad to see an Argentine minister advocate the same mistakes made in Sweden and the United States. Everyone who uses this site knows that the women who offer their services are not slaves, nor are they "trafficked." Trafficking and coercive pimps thrive when prostitution is illegal, just as organized crime thrives when alcohol or drugs are illegal. By confusing common prostitution with slavery, advocacy groups and government officials are actually making underground slavery more likely. Also, law enforcement's priorities are diverted from real human abuse to the persecution of freely choosing agents.

I have not seen Hillary Clinton or John Kerry liken all prostitution to trafficking, although I know that a reduction in sex slavery and labor slavery is a USA policy priority. I support that priority as long as slavery is properly defined. If they have confounded all prostitution with slavery, I would like to see the reference.

Sometimes it seems as if witch hunts against the clients of prostitutes start happening when women begin to control legislatures, as in Sweden. Swedish law engages in true double speak: They are making prostitutes "free" from their chosen work by prosecuting their clients. The assumption is that a woman would never freely choose prostitution, and that assumption of course is a simple projection of the powerful on those they see as social inferiors. It is a weird use of the word "free" when the state is preventing a person from doing what she wishes. And why is there never any outcry against homosexual prostitution, which is actually more common on a per capita basis? I have nothing against gay prostitution -- I just want to make the point about female lawmakers motivated by jealousy of men having too much fun with attractive women.

A great problem is that we clients rarely if ever speak up publicly for people's right to choose. For good reason, we hide behind aliases on this site. We don't organize politically. A consequence is that a small, noisy minority can get away with nonsense linking prostitution to slavery and can enact laws as in Sweden.

Thank goodness for Canada. As the female who wrote the Canadian decision stated, the state has no right to restrict the free choices of adults in their harmless occupations. She said it is a basic matter of human rights. And I do think that Sweden is in violation of the European Union's covenants on human rights, but no one has the courage to challenge the law in court.

If Argentina's economy totally collapses into depression next year, a law against prostitution would be the perfect accompaniment to export and import controls, currency manipulation, mass corruption, confiscation of wealth, and state coercion of communications media.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tatu Hei For This Post:

Only Rhetoric

This is the work of Hillary and her successor lackey Kerry making the world safe for democracy and WOMEN. She even wants the women of Saudi Arabia to unveil and drive automobiles! The state department has probably offered them a bribe to prosecute Americans who wish to exploit these hard working girls.

Not to worry. The Congress here passes hundreds of laws which are never enforced. And remember, the enforcers get a piece of the action here.

Argentina Crack Down

I did not see this posted. I can not believe no one saw this article.

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1643663-j...ta-de-personas

Google translation:

Alak promised a law criminalizing prostitution consumption. Minister of Justice and Human Rights assured that 2014 "will be ready the legal framework for going against the main leg of a crime that expresses a return to slavery," "It's the only business where the customer is never right," said Minister of Justice and Human Rights, Julio Alak, 2014 promised a law criminalizing prostitution consumption in the context of the fight against human trafficking."

"In 2014 the legal framework will be ready to go against the customer of human trafficking, which is the main leg of a crime that expresses a return to slavery, and that is the only business where the customer is never right".

According Alak, "given the regulatory progress in Argentina in the art will renew and deepen next year with the ultimate sanction of the law criminalizing the client, because, as Cervantes said, offenses always take back a punishment.

On Thursday, the Ministry presented a statistical report indicating that since the enactment in 2008 of Law 26.364 Prevention and Punishment of Trafficking and assistance to victims rescued 5884 people after 2745 raids.

The report also revealed that more than 1560 victims of this crime were rescued during the first ten months of 2013.

Alak said that trafficking is "the third offense global importance" and that the fight against this scourge "became a state policy of first order in the country and has regional scope within an integration process increasingly vigorous with siblings governments of South America ".

Prostitution and Politics and Society

It doesn't pertain to Argentina at all, but I think that many of us here will be interested in this headline from USA Today: Canadian court strikes down anti-prostitution laws. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/12/20/canada-anti-prostitution/4142685/

Bob

Posting Limitations