This blog is moderated by Jim Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMac  [View Original Post]
    I now have absolutely no doubt that block of Azcuenaga is safe not crowded with unsavoury characters.
    Well, no one said the guys from AP don't frequent that corner...

Quote Originally Posted by =
    I have walked around the cemetery on three sides during visits to BA but have never walked on that block on that side of the cemetery.
    That side of the cemetery is just devoid of first-floor retail establishments so, it seems a little desolate late at night (the closer you get to Libertador). That corner, should be relatively safe 24/7.

To be fair to Trip Advisor whom I initially quoted with less than positive reviews, I've since found up to date reviews of the Sileo Hotel on that block and they are all positive about the neighbourhood.
    That's probably due to all the horny old sport-f*ckers...wait, I think I left one of those reviews.

WW, if I see Robert Duval at La Biela I will say Hello,. I've never seen him there but I have seen Tommy Lee Jones on Arenales.
    He sits outside (northwest corner, I think), keeps to himself and smokes his cigars.

I am continuing my online research for a 1 bedroom apartment for next year and have found several top class choices, all in Recoleta. I will choose in the next few weeks.

Thanks again for everyone's help.
    I forget who it was but, he (senior member) made the logical suggestion of scouting future locations while on the ground. If you can, go see the prospective places (for next year) while you are here (this year).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wild Walleye For This Post:

Thanks to everyone who has replied on this thread. It's great to have a forum where one can get such helpful advice and information when you ask.

I now have absolutely no doubt that block of Azcuenaga is safe not crowded with unsavoury characters. I have walked around the cemetery on three sides during visits to BA but have never walked on that block on that side of the cemetery.

To be fair to Trip Advisor whom I initially quoted with less than positive reviews, I've since found up to date reviews of the Sileo Hotel on that block and they are all positive about the neighbourhood.

WW, if I see Robert Duval at La Biela I will say Hello,. I've never seen him there but I have seen Tommy Lee Jones on Arenales.

I am continuing my online research for a 1 bedroom apartment for next year and have found several top class choices, all in Recoleta. I will choose in the next few weeks.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Bad Man's apartment is gorgeous

PM her and make a deal. I have rented the place with the view and you will be very pleased. Bad's apartment had night time security.

Byt is also an ok agency. I have rented their large one bad room called azcuenaga and las heras II. The owners are wonderful. It is a block away towards las heras.

When the hooker clubs were in their prime, there were touts all over the place trying to draw men into the clubs. They are closed and that is all past history. I used to find the touts anoying, but never dangerous.

This location

Just rented an apartment in this location first week of Feb. It was 1 be on 4th fl overlooking back of cemetery. Maybe even same building as you are looking at? Great location. No problems. Was out and about until midnight all nights. One "nightclub" around the corner, but wasn't any problem. Easy walk to great restaurants and plenty of taxis on that street if you want to grab one.

I have been looking at an apartment to rent for a holiday in BA with my wife. There is a great looking one bedroom apt on Azcuenaga between Vicente Lopez and Guido. The balcony has a great view of the cemetery...maybe I could watch the cats in the morning while sippin2g my coffee.

However, I read a review on Trip Advisor that this area might not be right for a stay with my wife. The review says there is noise from nightclubs and stripclubs and sometimes hookers on the street and sometimes unsavoury characters on the street at night. We don't plan to stand on the street at night but we would walk to and from restaurants on the other side of the cemetery and elsewhere.

I figured here was the right place to ask. Was the stuff on Trip Advisor exaggerated? Will it be uncomfortable for my wife and I to walk to restaurants from that location? Will there be a lot of night-time noise? We are experienced travellers so the odd hooker on the street is not a concern. And noise at night would have to penetrate the balcony doors 5 stories up to bother us.

Any advice from experienced BA visitors and residents on this board would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston  [View Original Post]
    I stayed right near this intersection and never even thought there might be a problem day or night. Lots of people walking around and many restaurants, etc. I don't think I ever wandered around there at 4-5 am.
    I think that I have been in just about ever nook and cranny of Recoleta between 2 am-5 am. I don't recall ever feeling like I was in imminent danger. I've spent much time, during the wee hours, hanging with the lady (mother figure) managing the horde of little kids working the area in front of the clubs on Junin and with a couple homeless families that were foraging through the dumpster outside grocery stores. The only Recoleta spot that makes me a little uneasy during the wee hours is down the hill on and around Libertador. It is pretty desolate, then.

I think that Micro Centro is much more disconcerting (IMO) regarding personal safety at times when decent folks are sleeping...

That said, anyone traveling anywhere should always be vigilant about their safety. I put my passport, some cash and a credit card in the safe in my hotel room upon my arrival (enough to get me out of Argentina and home, in most any event). I keep a photocopy of my passport in my pocket and have a Hi-res picture of it on my phone. My nice watches stay at home in the USA as does any branded item that says "GRINGO. Please mug me." I avoid pulling US currency out of my pocket while in eye shot of anyone. Due to my fine linguistic skills, I pretend to be mute and don't speak...

To the uninitiated, Argentina is a Caucasian country. Caucasian Americans (this is not a racist comment) can fit right in and go unnoticed so long as the dress appropriately (I.e. Leave the "I ❤ NY" t-shirt at home) and don't try to speak English to people who don't know a word of English. To this latter point, one of my favorite things about Argentina is that a minority of the population speaks English. This makes Argentina slightly less 'accessible' (so fewer Americans will go there) and I have to work on my Spanish in order to get what I want.

Jim Mac: I don't know if you monger but, even if you don't the senior guys here will help a fellow out. You can contact anyone via PM. If your not a monger and/or require complete discretion due to your traveling companion, just say so and the guys here will respect it. I can guarantee you that all of the information about Argentina on Trip Adviser wouldn't fill the reservoir tip when compared to what the guys her know about Argentina.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson  [View Original Post]
    ...the Madahos property soon to be reopened as a bank...
    What the f*ck is this world coming to?

Administrator

Venues: 398

Pussified TripAdvisor bloggers

I've lived a block up the street from that intersection for more than 10 years. I can't imagine anyone except a prissy, broom-stick-up-their-ass TripAdvisor blogger thinking that the neighborhood is in any measure dangerous or "seedy" at any time of the day or night.

Nevertheless, if you or a member of your party might be the slightest bit queezy about meerly being in close proximity to establishments where men do not need to beg women for sex, then you and they can rest assured that Madahos, Play Woman and Solid Gold have all been closed and the street is essentially nothing but apartment buildings, the Madahos property soon to be reopened as a bank.

In addition, I would not be surprised to learn that the very same TripAdvisor blogger also blasphemed the neighborhood on the corner of Ayacucho and Alvear because Black is still open, not withstanding the fact that South America's only 5-Star hotel is right across the street.

Thanks,

Jax.

Quote Originally Posted by BadMan  [View Original Post]
    I actually own an apartment on Azcuenaga and Vicente Lopez that I rent out. The area is perfect for the short term tourist. It is a very central location within 2-3 blocks walking distance of many, restaurants, bars, malls, museums and other tourist atttractions. Its also right between Palermo and the microcentro so you're pretty close to everything. I've never personally heard of anyone having any problems in the area. Just to clarify, this location isn't microcentro. Its the heart of Recoleta. As far as security concerns, because its such a tourist location, there are usually police all over the place. You will generally see them standing around just outside the mall or right on the corner of vicente lopez and azcuenaga. At the same time, as a tourist, you need to be careful wherever you go, there are petty thieves that do snatch and grabs all over the city.
    I stayed right near this intersection and never even thought there might be a problem day or night. Lots of people walking around and many restaurants, etc. I don't think I ever wandered around there at 4-5 am.

I actually own an apartment on Azcuenaga and Vicente Lopez that I rent out. The area is perfect for the short term tourist. It is a very central location within 2-3 blocks walking distance of many, restaurants, bars, malls, museums and other tourist atttractions. Its also right between Palermo and the microcentro so you're pretty close to everything. I've never personally heard of anyone having any problems in the area. Just to clarify, this location isn't microcentro. Its the heart of Recoleta. As far as security concerns, because its such a tourist location, there are usually police all over the place. You will generally see them standing around just outside the mall or right on the corner of vicente lopez and azcuenaga. At the same time, as a tourist, you need to be careful wherever you go, there are petty thieves that do snatch and grabs all over the city.

I am sure that there are guys who can chime in that have stayed in that building, if not that very apartment.

I have never felt unsafe anywhere on Vincete Lopez at any time, day or night. I think that if the entry to the building is on Azc (btween VL and Guido) you should be able to see the restaurants on VL (less than a block away). There always seems to be a lot of foot traffic along that stretch of VL (across from the cemetery). However, there is a brickwall that is probably 15' to 20' tall that surrounds the cemetery making that corner a little less cozy.

The noisiest clubs are at the other end of the cemetery (on Junin between VL and Quintana). There used to be a club right on the corner of Guido and Azc that may have generated many of those complaints.

There are some other nice apartments on VL (across from the cemetery) and on Junin (at the corner of VL).

If you stay there, La Biela (bar/cafe - totally appropriate to bring your wife - it isn't a naughty place) on the corner of Junin and Quintana is a great place for coffee, demi lunas and people watching. If you see Robert Duvall, give him my regards.

Probably

I have been looking at an apartment to rent for a holiday in BA with my wife. There is a great looking one bedroom apt on Azcuenaga between Vicente Lopez and Guido. The balcony has a great view of the cemetery...maybe I could watch the cats in the morning while sipping my coffee.

However, I read a review on Trip Advisor that this area might not be right for a stay with my wife. The review says there is noise from nightclubs and stripclubs and sometimes hookers on the street and sometimes unsavoury characters on the street at night. We don't plan to stand on the street at night but we would walk to and from restaurants on the other side of the cemetery and elsewhere.

I figured here was the right place to ask. Was the stuff on Trip Advisor exaggerated? Will it be uncomfortable for my wife and I to walk to restaurants from that location? Will there be a lot of night-time noise? We are experienced travellers so the odd hooker on the street is not a concern. And noise at night would have to penetrate the balcony doors 5 stories up to bother us.

Any advice from experienced BA visitors and residents on this board would be appreciated.
    It's on the back side of the Cemetery, it wouldn't be as bad as being on the mall side for noise, but there are a lot of bars / restos that are open late with a lot of outside tables. That part of Azcuenaga is kind of dark at night so it's a little spooky. Finding a place downtown that doesn't have any unsavory characters walking the streets at night will be difficult. Regarding hookers, it's not really a stroll, not like Pellagrini, but around 4 ish there will be the migration from Newport and Hippos to that afterhours place on Vincente Lopez. On a scale of 1-10 for places to stay in Micro, that whole area would be an 8.5 in my book.

Azcuenaga area between Vicente Lopez + Guido?

I have been looking at an apartment to rent for a holiday in BA with my wife. There is a great looking one bedroom apt on Azcuenaga between Vicente Lopez and Guido. The balcony has a great view of the cemetery...maybe I could watch the cats in the morning while sipping my coffee.

Posting Limitations