Thread: Where is the best steak?

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
This blog is moderated by Chezz

La Brigada Steak House

I put in on the Map, but could not find the Hours of operation.

Estados Unidos 465. Tel: +54 11 4361-4685. Hours: ___. www.parrillalabrigada.com.ar https://www.facebook.com/parrillalabrigada/.

Quote Originally Posted by Tres3  [View Original Post]
    I have been coming to BA off and on since 1991. I have tried many steak houses, from the very expensive to the holes-in-the-wall. It seems as if I always end up at La Brigada. They have a great steak, slightly higher prices, good wine list, and English speaking waiters. The waiter trims your meat at the table with a spoon--it is that tender. I thought the spoon was a gimmick with sharpened edges, but several checks over the years have proven me wrong. The restaurant is located in San Telmo on Estados Unidos. Stay away on Sundays unless you like long waits and large crowds.

Tres3.

Quote Originally Posted by Tres3  [View Original Post]
    I have been coming to BA off and on since 1991. I have tried many steak houses, from the very expensive to the holes-in-the-wall. It seems as if I always end up at La Brigada. They have a great steak, slightly higher prices, good wine list, and English speaking waiters. The waiter trims your meat at the table with a spoon--it is that tender. I thought the spoon was a gimmick with sharpened edges, but several checks over the years have proven me wrong. The restaurant is located in San Telmo on Estados Unidos. Stay away on Sundays unless you like long waits and large crowds.
    Agreed... La Brigada is top-notch. I always try to make it here when I am in town. Was able to enjoy dinner last trip with a fellow hombre. We were seated upstairs, which was fine. Though I prefer the large sectioned off room on the main level, which has lower lighting and a more mellow vibe. As I think this room is popular, reservations are especially recommended to ensure seating.

La Brigada

Tres3.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyRulz  [View Original Post]
    You my friend are a braver man than I.
    I walked down there once, from my apartment in San Telmo.

But they wouldn't allow me to leave until there was a taxi waiting outside with its door open!

Don Carlos - Steak

Now at the very top of the Map.

Brandsen 699. Tel: +54 11 4362-2433. Hours: Tuesday to Saturday 11:30 am - 3:00 pm, 8:15 pm to 10:30 pm. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Don-C...42140642522740.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyRulz  [View Original Post]
    You my friend are a braver man than I. Do you know if they are open for lunch?

Big balls award

Quote Originally Posted by Tireseus  [View Original Post]
    I've eaten at all of them - las Lilas, Don Julio, La Cabrera - I could name 50 more. My favourite is Don Carlos. Yeah, it can be a sketchy neighbourhood at night, but I've never witnessed anything untoward. (And it's a pretty cheap uber ride). Best thing about Don Carlos is he just starts bringing you food - all kinds of different dishes, until you say no mas. And whatever comes off the grill is astounding. And it's about as cheap as it gets. Last time I was there I think it was 200p for three of us. Plus wine, plus tip.
    You my friend are a braver man than I. Do you know if they are open for lunch?

Don Carlos in La Boca

I've eaten at all of them - las Lilas, Don Julio, La Cabrera - I could name 50 more. My favourite is Don Carlos. Yeah, it can be a sketchy neighbourhood at night, but I've never witnessed anything untoward. (And it's a pretty cheap uber ride). Best thing about Don Carlos is he just starts bringing you food - all kinds of different dishes, until you say no mas. And whatever comes off the grill is astounding. And it's about as cheap as it gets. Last time I was there I think it was 200p for three of us. Plus wine, plus tip.

Don Julio

Thanks, I added it to the Map.

Quote Originally Posted by Uk844  [View Original Post]
    I have been here before and working off the recommendations forum locals that I have met. And I do not know all the best places some others might but speaking for just my experience Don Julio's rib eye was the best I have had . They even have a beet dish that with oil and Vinegar and salt is magic. I did not find many places with Vegetables and I sure its country related but by far Don Julio , which I went to 2x already was the best.

La Carniceria had good wine and a great appetizer salad ( it was the bomb ) but the steak was huge yet mostly fatty...good but no where near Don Julio.

As a tourist which as a traveler I guess I am I had to try the famous Cabrera. Lots of long lines but the service is very nice and the wine was good but the empanadas were off the charts...unfortunately by the time the steak came it was overcooked (someone just forgot as I waited awhile for it , that happens) they took it right back and although it was a really good steak between the empanadas and all the other accouterments they supply you gratis I could not get through it. Yet here there were not vegetables really on the menu outside of salads.

So DJ is my call, and that is just my .02 from me. I am sure there are many that I do not know about so this is only my humble opinion. I have not been everywhere.

Don Julio hands down

I have been here before and working off the recs form locals that I have met. And I do not know all the best places some others might but speaking for just my experience Don Julio's rib eye was the best I have had . They even have a beet dish that with oil and Vinegar and salt is magic. I did not find many places with Vegetables and I sure its country related but by far Don Julio , which I went to 2x already was the best. La Carniceria had good wine and a great apertizer salad ( it was the bomb ) but the steak was huge yet mostly fatty...good but no where near Don Julio. As a tourist which as a traveler I guess I am I had to try the famous Cabrera. Lotsa long lines but the service is very nice and the wine was good but the empanadas were off the charts...unfortunately by the time the steak came it was overcooked ( someone just forgot as I waited awhile for it , that happens ) they took it right back and although it was a really good steak between the empanadas and all the other accoutrements they supply you gratis I could not get through it. Yet here there were not vegetables really on the menu outside of salads.

So DJ is my call, and that is just my .02 from me. I am sure there are many that I do not know about so this is only my humble opinion. I have not been everywhere.

Map

Thanks, I added it to the Restaurant Map.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/ed...090901226&z=14

Quote Originally Posted by Pedroinba  [View Original Post]
    One of the best steak house is town is Aires Criollos Santa Fe 1773 Corner Callao Recoleta/Barrio Norte. There is a wagon wheel outside the front door, I have been eating there for years never ever have I had a bad steak. If on the very rare occasion it comes a bit over done they with pleasure get it right.

Only twice have I sent my steak back as it was slightly over done, as I am incredibly fussy, its got to be perfect.

The portions are large its not the cheapest in town but IMO its the best, and I have been to many parrillas.

The service is impeccable the staff are awesome they all know me very well, "Peter".

On ever occasion they all greet me and make me feel so welcome. The place is always full with locals and tourists for lunch and dinner especially Fridays to Sundays..

Hope you experience the same satisfication as I "Bife de loma" is my preferred choice ++.

Average cost with a bottle of wine pending on choice of steak and wine is between 400-800pesos and worth ever peso.

Regards to all!!

Pedroinba.

Aires Criollos Steak House

One of the best steak house is town is Aires Criollos Santa Fe 1773 Corner Callao Recoleta/Barrio Norte. There is a wagon wheel outside the front door, I have been eating there for years never ever have I had a bad steak. If on the very rare occasion it comes a bit over done they with pleasure get it right.

Only twice have I sent my steak back as it was slightly over done, as I am incredibly fussy, its got to be perfect.

The portions are large its not the cheapest in town but IMO its the best, and I have been to many parrillas.

The service is impeccable the staff are awesome they all know me very well, "Peter".

On ever occasion they all greet me and make me feel so welcome. The place is always full with locals and tourists for lunch and dinner especially Fridays to Sundays..

Hope you experience the same satisfication as I "Bife de loma" is my preferred choice ++.

Average cost with a bottle of wine pending on choice of steak and wine is between 400-800pesos and worth ever peso.

Regards to all!!

Pedroinba.

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre  [View Original Post]
    I can't find the Spanish "N" but you get it l trust .

$13,000.00 for dinner the other night .

One of the steaks had to be sent back 3 times due to being overcooked .

Nobody at the restaurant cared and nobody apologized .

They just assumed that a tourist will never return anyway so who cares.

TL.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pedroinba For This Post:

Cabana las Lilas

I can't find the Spanish "N" but you get it l trust .

$13,000.00 for dinner the other night .

One of the steaks had to be sent back 3 times due to being overcooked .

Nobody at the restaurant cared and nobody apologized .

They just assumed that a tourist will never return anyway so who cares.

TL.

La Dorita

Quote Originally Posted by Judd  [View Original Post]
    Hola Dudes,

I've been here about ten days. I've ate at six or seven restaurants, and will offer up my opinion. First, I ate at Parilla Pena. While the portions were huge, I was not that impressed. The steak was good, but not great. Now, the ravioli's I tasted were really good. By far the best bife de chorizo I've had was at Las Cholas in Las Canitas. It's located on the corner of Arce and Arnelo. Moore and I stumbled on this place, because we were initially going to Campo De Fiori. However, the one in Las Canitas is now a different restaurant. We noticed Las Cholas was very busy even though it was on a Tuesday, and decided to check it out. This steak had incredible flavor, and the best part, it was only $120p. While it wasn't a huge cut, again the flavor was excellent. No need for any chimichurri, which may have been the reason why none was served when we sat down. Just outstanding taste without the need for any additional condiments. Their Caeser Salad we equally delicious. Another place that was excellent was La Dorita. I'm not sure of it's exact location, but will find out and post. They had the best pork chorizo I've tasted so far, and their "Ensalada Mixta" was spot on. Nice mix of greens, shredded carrots, onions, tomatoes, and the olive oil/vinegar mix was incredibly sweet.

Will be sampling several more places before I leave, but Las Cholas is the clear leader so far.

Late,

Judd.
    I think it's at the corner of Costa Rica and Humbolt, I also think there is more than one. It fills up don't get there late.

Las Cholas in Las Canitas

Hola Dudes,

I've been here about ten days. I've ate at six or seven restaurants, and will offer up my opinion. First, I ate at Parilla Pena. While the portions were huge, I was not that impressed. The steak was good, but not great. Now, the ravioli's I tasted were really good. By far the best bife de chorizo I've had was at Las Cholas in Las Canitas. It's located on the corner of Arce and Arnelo. Moore and I stumbled on this place, because we were initially going to Campo De Fiori. However, the one in Las Canitas is now a different restaurant. We noticed Las Cholas was very busy even though it was on a Tuesday, and decided to check it out. This steak had incredible flavor, and the best part, it was only $120p. While it wasn't a huge cut, again the flavor was excellent. No need for any chimichurri, which may have been the reason why none was served when we sat down. Just outstanding taste without the need for any additional condiments. Their Caeser Salad we equally delicious. Another place that was excellent was La Dorita. I'm not sure of it's exact location, but will find out and post. They had the best pork chorizo I've tasted so far, and their "Ensalada Mixta" was spot on. Nice mix of greens, shredded carrots, onions, tomatoes, and the olive oil/vinegar mix was incredibly sweet.

Will be sampling several more places before I leave, but Las Cholas is the clear leader so far.

Late,

Judd.
    Last edited by Judd; 10-14-15 at 05:38. Reason: fragmented sentences

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Judd For This Post:

La Carniceria Parrillia

In my 16 years experience here, La Carniceria is the best of the best at a reasonable price. They have aged beef, understand hot sauce and the food is just absolutely fucking delicious. Additionally, they know what medium rare is. Beef ribs are da BOMB!

Thames, 2713.

Palermo.

+54 11 2071-7199.

Posting Limitations