Thread: Where is the best steak?

+ Submit Report
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
This blog is moderated by Chezz

A second for Parilla Peņa

Quote Originally Posted by BigMic  [View Original Post]
    Address is 682 Rodriguez Pena, opens at noon for lunch and 8 pm for dinner, great beef empanadas also.
    Just ate there last night. Superb bife de lomo, mashed potatoes, a 375mL bottle of malbec and a salad for P$295.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Creideiki For This Post:

Los Remolinos Centro Steakhouse

A good mid-priced parrilla al carbon at 957 Suipacha across from Hook. Good Centro option with good hours and good beef.

Parrilla Pena

Address is 682 Rodriguez Pena, opens at noon for lunch and 8 pm for dinner, great beef empanadas also.

Parrilla Pena Good Solid Option near AP House

For a good, mid-priced steak within walking distance of AP House look no further than Parrilla Pena, Rodriguez Pena at Viamonte. For starters, house chorizo as good as any in town. Best seating upstairs at window overlooking street. Very popular place so unless you go early expect a wait.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BigMic For This Post:

All Over The Spectrum

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyRulz  [View Original Post]
    And I'm more of a bondiola guy but I'm noticing 130-160 maso for a bife in a barrio place.
    I think even a "Medio Bife de Chorizo" which is supposed to be a half of a NY Strip is close to $90.00 . Maybe.

So a steak in a:

Shit Place - 110.00 pesos with Fries.

Reg. Barrio Place - 135.00 with Nothing.

Puerto Madero or Trendy Place - $280.00 to $420.00 for a very large steak with NOTHING.

Going to "Juana M" RIGHT NOW!

Largest Rib-Eye I have had in BA and by far the BEST salad bar in the city!

Great Deal. $158.00 pesos with a Free Super Salad. 400 grams!

Sounds like a Party!

If you order a Main course and the value exceeds 80 pesos then your All you Can Eat Salad Bar is included.

And it has a lot of excellent salad parts that you NEVER see on a salad in BA.

Not without paying a lot.

Great place to take a girl that just wants a Salad too.

Salad Only is about 70 pesos.

Juana M -.

http://www.juanam.com/juana-centro/

1535 Carlos Pellegrini.

Down the street from X.

Almost air-conditioned and good enough for anybody around these parts.

Full of women at night!

TL.

Menu:

http://www.juanam.com/juana-centro/menu

There is a lot of variation

Quote Originally Posted by Moore  [View Original Post]
    Can someone please give me the current price of a bife de chorizo at an average neighborhood restaurant. I classify El Estrebe or just a confiteria as average.

When I was there last May it was about 100 pesos everywhere I went, which was about USD 10.

To me this price is BA's equivalent of the Big Mac index. Pretty good overall price indicator.

Thanks.

Moore.
    And I'm more of a bondiola guy but I'm noticing 130-160 maso for a bife in a barrio place.

Can someone please give me the current price of a bife de chorizo at an average neighborhood restaurant. I classify El Estrebe or just a confiteria as average.

When I was there last May it was about 100 pesos everywhere I went, which was about USD 10.

To me this price is BA's equivalent of the Big Mac index. Pretty good overall price indicator.

Thanks.

Moore.

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre  [View Original Post]

Parrilla Pena -.

Neighborhood Parrillla near all the shit we do. Very good.

Large Rib Eye.
    This is my favorite and I had been to them all (as of a few years ago). I'm not into fancy, I did that for too long. I want simple and great food. Provoleta to start, some Luigi Bosca and ojo de bife. To the clubs to find dessert.

I make steaks about 5 nights a week when in Argentina. And I go out to dinner about once a week. I wouldn't do the same in the US. It would be cost prohibitive, at least for me. You just can't beat the prices at Jumbo. A little olive oil and some salt and pepper and you have a 500 peso cut of cabana las lilas lomo for 100 pesos sans the attentive waiters.

Quote Originally Posted by Chezz  [View Original Post]
    OK, one of the most expensive steak houses in Argentina is selling a large NY steak for $34 USD. I still don't think that's horribly overpriced compared to western standards. And I don't think it's pretension that makes people want to go there. Sometimes you just want a nicer experience. And when you don't, there's still plenty of Parrillas in town where you can get a great steak for less than $10 USD. That's what I was shooting for when I originally asked the question; both ends of the spectrum.

And you're right, Jumbo is selling top quality beef at about $5.00 USD per pound, about half of what it costs in the States. I find myself grilling a steak at the house nearly every day while I'm in town.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BadMan For This Post:

Beans are a Cheap Filler

Quote Originally Posted by RevBS  [View Original Post]
    http://www.slate.com/articles/life/f...specialty.html

When I was in BA, eating chilli never entered my mind. But now that I am in Bangkok, eating my own "chilli" keeps me happy. BA with all that beef is a no brainer, but not really on the Argie menu. Anyway, this controversy about beans or no beans is more like Texas vs the World issue. As a chilli lover, I can eat both versions. Cooking on my own, having beans in the chilli means not having to cook beans separately. And if I want to add some rice to the concoction and make it a burrito, it works.

I think I will make my Lad Phrao chilli for the Super Bowl. Hope I can find some fresh jalapenos.
    Meat is more expensive than beans, especially in Northern Mexico and South Texas (at one time all of it was Mexico), where Chili Con Carne originated. Putting beans in the chili was a way to stretch the pot and feed more mouths. The early folks did not have to cook the beans because they always had a "bean pot" on the stove, to which they just added more beans and water. Chili was also a way to make spoiled meat and non-beef meat palatable. Enough cumin / comino and chli pepper will kill any foul taste, and long cooking will kill bacteria. Remember, chili con carne was developed in a hot region, long before refrigeration. The ironic thing is that I have seen chili with beans priced higher on a menu than chili without beans.

Tres3.

Chili, beans or no beans?

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/f...specialty.html

When I was in BA, eating chilli never entered my mind. But now that I am in Bangkok, eating my own "chilli" keeps me happy. BA with all that beef is a no brainer, but not really on the Argie menu. Anyway, this controversy about beans or no beans is more like Texas vs the World issue. As a chilli lover, I can eat both versions. Cooking on my own, having beans in the chilli means not having to cook beans separately. And if I want to add some rice to the concoction and make it a burrito, it works.

I think I will make my Lad Phrao chilli for the Super Bowl. Hope I can find some fresh jalapenos.

Quote Originally Posted by Chezz  [View Original Post]
    And you're right, Jumbo is selling top quality beef at about $5.00 USD per pound, about half of what it costs in the States. I find myself grilling a steak at the house nearly every day while I'm in town.
    I just returned from Jumbo doing my weekly shopping. Chop meat 30% fat going for $49.89 kilo. Chop meat (carne picada especial) 10% fat going for $79.89 kilo. I did not even look at other meats. Very little meat on display. I did not see any one buying any meat either.

Gran Parrilla del Plata

I have eaten at this restaurant many times and it is a locals place with a good lunch and dinner crowd. The meat is excellent and priced right about 140-170 for 400 gms bife de chorizo o bife de lomo. Wine list is not extensive but reasonable prices. The Pasion 4 Malbec is about 110-140. I have not had a bad piece of meat or dinner. I hosted a small Christmas party for friends who are Argentine and they loved the place.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Paladin For This Post:

Le Grill

Went last night again for dinner. Ojo de Bife madurado was the best choice. 330 pesos for the steak.

Their starters were also pretty good.

Had a bottle of Andeluna Chardonnay Reserva to start with and then 2 bottles of Trapiche Fond de Cave Gran Reserva Cabernet Sauvignon with the steak. Excellent wines.

We were a group of 6 and paid about 700 pesos per head including tip. Not a cheap place but the meat is surely one of the best.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe 23 For This Post:

Again, it depends

Quote Originally Posted by BadMan  [View Original Post]
    They have good beef and the prices are comparable to many restaurants in Puerto Madero but I agree it's overpriced. But if you are a tourist and are only in town for a week or two you can afford 70 bucks for a nice dinner. Just like spending 200-300 dollars for a good looking girl. Thats why there is a tourist market. Tourists like being pretentious in foreign countries and there are plenty of women and businesses who make a living servicing that crowd.

Now if you are a local, spending 1000 pesos per meal very often just doesn't make much sense. Especially if the same quality beef can be bought at Jumbo or Piaf for 180 pesos a kilo of Lomo.
    OK, one of the most expensive steak houses in Argentina is selling a large NY steak for $34 USD. I still don't think that's horribly overpriced compared to western standards. And I don't think it's pretension that makes people want to go there. Sometimes you just want a nicer experience. And when you don't, there's still plenty of Parrillas in town where you can get a great steak for less than $10 USD. That's what I was shooting for when I originally asked the question; both ends of the spectrum.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chezz For This Post:

Posting Limitations