Thread: Where is the best steak?

+ Submit Report
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
This blog is moderated by Chezz

Hipsters.

Quote Originally Posted by BadMan  [View Original Post]
    Dirty NE hipsters ruin everything. Thanks for the heads up. Never going there.

Osaka makes a mean Kobe balsamic truffle steak. Best part is, no fucking hipsters. But if you don't want to wait hours at the bar for a seat you have to go to the one in Puerto Madero.

Hey daddy rulz, remember that one time I took you to Osaka?
    I know a lot of people who tried to be hipsters. They couldn't afford it.

I will

I agree with your assessment of the Palermo location. One of the reasons I stopped going. But the one in Puerto Madero that recently opened is nothing like the other one. Its much bigger. No waiting at the bar. And the food and service are actually good. You should check it out. The new Kobe steak dish is worth a visit.
    It's not only closer but when they are on the food is really good. Thanks.

I agree with your assessment of the Palermo location. One of the reasons I stopped going. But the one in Puerto Madero that recently opened is nothing like the other one. Its much bigger. No waiting at the bar. And the food and service are actually good. You should check it out. The new Kobe steak dish is worth a visit.

Yes

Osaka makes a mean Kobe balsamic truffle steak. Best part is, no fucking hipsters. But if you don't want to wait hours at the bar for a seat you have to go to the one in Puerto Madero.

Once a long time ago. Good food if you can get service. The last time I was there I was by myself, I sat at the bar, there were three bartenders working, and none of them would take my order. In their defense the bar was full with a lot of really beautiful girls. I waited 15 minutes trying to flag one after another, and then got up and left.

Interestingly enough, the hottest dish I've ever tasted in my life (never been to Thailand) was served to me there. It was a cold (temperature) Thai salad, one bite of it wrecked my mouth and I couldn't eat anything else.

Sad, as I recall when we went there forever ago the food was really good but I refuse to be ignored by unwashed table jockeys with bad haircuts.

If anyone ever wants to buy from the best carniceria in town, the one all the best restaurants buy from. Try PIAF in Palermo. It's about 180 pesos for a kilo of lomo but its some of the best lomo you will ever have. The best restaurant quality beef you can make at home.

http://www.proveeduriapiaf.com.ar/ep...d=5&Itemid=125

Category 1 (Best steak regardless of price)

Try matured beef at Le Grill, Puerto Madero. Definitely one of the best in BA. About 700 pesos per head including starters, salad, wine and coffee.

Good selection of wines with a reasonable mark up.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe 23 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Rulz  [View Original Post]
    Ever since Allie wrote about it they have been overrun by annoying hipsters of all flavors.
    You mean hipsters have jobs? I mean jobs that pay well enough to go to Don Julio? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Rulz  [View Original Post]
    Close by is a parrilla that doesn't have the best steaks (my love of pig meat is well known) but does serve up the best mollejas I've ever had here. It's a very generous serving and they are wonderfully prepared if you like your thymus crunchy. Their salads are very nice as well. Without wine it's going to run you about 300 a person. It's called Estilo Criollo and it's at Serrano 1458.
    Dude, I don't dig on the guts...and yeah, all that crap is guts to me....glands included. But since you're into swine (as I am) please feel free to chime in with a pork recommendation. Hard to go wrong with a well-cooked pork belly. There was a place in Palermo Viejo I went to once that had braised pork belly; they re-heated the individual portions on a flat-top. Nice and crispy!!

La Brigada

El Mirasol and La Cabrera are two of the best.

And then any other place. That sells Kobe beef is usually a safe bet. Not cheap. But the best usually isn't.

http://carneswagyu.com.ar/donde_comer
    When I was in BA about six months ago, I had steak at both La Brigada (San Telmo) and La Cabrera (Palermo). Both were very good, but La Brigada was superior to La Cabrera. Do not go to La Brigada on Sunday unless you like a long wait and a big crowd. Expensive, but also very good is Cabana las Lilas in Puerto Madero. The steak is very good with service unlike anything else in Argentina, and they also do an excellent job on fish.

Tres3.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tres3 For This Post:

El Mirasol and La Cabrera are two of the best.

And then any other place. That sells Kobe beef is usually a safe bet. Not cheap. But the best usually isn't.

http://carneswagyu.com.ar/donde_comer

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BadMan For This Post:

Don Julio

Quote Originally Posted by ElAlamoPalermo  [View Original Post]
    I went to Don Julio back in November with a group of American tourists who insisted on going there; the steak was very mediocre and not remotely close to the same level as the steaks at El Mirasol. The group went to Mirasol the following night (without me) and all agreed Don Julio was complete garbage compared to Mirasol.
    I've wanted to go there a couple times because I read a fair amount about it being a decent place from a value not quality standpoint but getting a table is pretty impossible. Ever since Allie wrote about it they have been overrun by annoying hipsters of all flavors, US, European, and Argentine. Lots of thick framed black glasses, stupid beards, and wool caps.

Close by is a parrilla that doesn't have the best steaks (my love of pig meat is well known) but does serve up the best mollejas I've ever had here. It's a very generous serving and they are wonderfully prepared if you like your thymus crunchy. Their salads are very nice as well. Without wine it's going to run you about 300 a person.

It's called Estilo Criollo and it's at Serrano 1458.

http://www.estilocriollo.com/

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Daddy Rulz For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chezz  [View Original Post]
    I'll start:

Best Steak: don Julio.

Best Value: Parilla Pena.
    I went to Don Julio back in November with a group of American tourists who insisted on going there; the steak was very mediocre and not remotely close to the same level as the steaks at El Mirasol. The group went to Mirasol the following night (without me) and all agreed Don Julio was complete garbage compared to Mirasol.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ElAlamoPalermo For This Post:

Where is the best steak?

It's been a while since my last visit, and I'm curious because I know how quickly the quality of a restaurant can change. Also because I'm arriving tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to some good eating, among other things!

So, who is serving the best steak these days?

Maybe I should cut this down into two categories:

1. The first category would be, who is serving the best steak regardless of price?

2. And the second would be, which Parilla is the best value?

And so we're talking apples to apples, let's make Bife de Chorizo the comparison item.

I'll start:

Best Steak: don Julio.

Best Value: Parilla Pena.

Posting Limitations