Thread: Tango lessons?

+ Submit Report
This blog is moderated by Dreamm

From what I understand, it depends on the milonga....

Quote Originally Posted by DavieW  [View Original Post]
    Yup. This.

The only place I ever had any locals talk to me was at Queer Tango on Peru (400 block I think?), but they soon disappeared when i told them I wasn't gay.
    From what I understand, the more traditional milongas (El Beso, Comfeterķa) can be tough going, but others are less so (La Catedral is said to be more friendly). I'll know a lot more after my trip to Bs.As. In October. My castellano is still very much a work in progress, so not having locals talk to me may be more a feature, not a bug.

While I'm here, I've heard good things about this instructor:

http://tangovivi.blogspot.com/

She is in Almagro, and does some group classes as well as privates, and is bilingual. I'm going to check out her group classes and see what I think.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyRulz  [View Original Post]
    Argentine milongeros are a very stratified community. It's tough to make inroads and you gotta get pretty good. It's a great way to meet people that are coming here for lessons though.
    Yup. This.

The only place I ever had any locals talk to me was at Queer Tango on Peru (400 block I think?), but they soon disappeared when i told them I wasn't gay.

My understanding

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMorgan  [View Original Post]
    I would love an opinion from you who Tango. I get bored during the day and have wondered about using Tango as a way to build a social life in BA. Call it a fantasy. I am a young 69 and can dance a bit and love the music. I am not talking about a sex life. I am talking about real social life. I speak some Spanish. Any thoughts at all? Thanks.
    Argentine milongeros are a very stratified community. It's tough to make inroads and you gotta get pretty good. It's a great way to meet people that are coming here for lessons though.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Daddy Rulz For This Post:

Tengo lessons???

I would love an opinion from you who Tango. I get bored during the day and have wondered about using Tango as a way to build a social life in BA. Call it a fantasy. I am a young 69 and can dance a bit and love the music. I am not talking about a sex life. I am talking about real social life. I speak some Spanish. Any thoughts at all? Thanks.

I like NEAT (Nuevo Escuela Argentina de Tango) on the second floor (first floor is zero) of the Gallerias Pacifico. The instructors and students tend to be older, but the instruction is top-notch and you'll meet people from all over the world, many of whom will invite you to milongas.

If you are a really serious Tango dancer (and speak Castellano), then I'd recommend Roberto Canelo's school. This is the real deal though and you better know what you're doing: http://www.canelotangoestudio.com/.

Tango school

http://dni-tango.com/?lang=en

I recommend DNI Tango. I have been going there for years. Young, friendly instructors and welcoming group and private classes .

Tango lessons?

Here is a challenge for you guys!

If you are a none dancer and want to take Tango lessons and you have maybe 1-2 days a week for 2-3 weeks.

More of a fun thing to do.. Experience is more important then a authentic strict dance lesson.

Where to go?