Thread: American Politics during the Trump Presidency

+ Submit Report
Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 ... LastLast
This blog is moderated by Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky2  [View Original Post]
    The Part B Premium Adjustment was Marxist......the cost of goods and services should be the same for all.....not based on ones ability to pay.
    Well, I am not a Marxist but a bit to the left, but I agree with you, albeit for a different reason. Once the Medicaid payroll ceiling was lifted, everyone was paying the same 1.45% of their income for a defined benefit. Hence the higher wage earners have already paid in more nominal dollars for the same benefit. So I think the premium adjustment is double taxation. I think the same thing about taxation of Social Security, and let's not forget what asshole started that. Hmm? Any guesses on that one? Hint: the same cocksucker that decided to tax unemployment benefits.

Now I am sad

Quote Originally Posted by BigBossMan  [View Original Post]
    BBM....I do not see anything in your source that addressed Part B cost. Part B escalation was in place before the Obamanation.

I hope it works out that way

From what I read, they eliminated the Medicare Part B Premium Adjustment.
    The Part B Premium Adjustment was Marxist......the cost of goods and services should be the same for all.....not based on ones ability to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by DallasNorte  [View Original Post]
    Thank you Harry Reed (D). .
    Yeah, that was one calculated risk that was sure miscalculated. Live by the sword, die by the sword. Or I think a wise man once said something about paybacks.

Thanks. As I suspected, there is no mention of the IRMAA. The additional Medicare tax referred to is the 0.9% surcharge that kicks in at $200k for single filers. That tax only applies to wages and self-employment income; in other words, it just increases the existing 1.45% tax on that stuff to 2.35%. Retirement income and investment income are not affected by that. But judging from your estimate of how much of a tax cut you mistakenly thought you would get, your income is high enough that you will probably be able to avoid the soup kitchen without a cut in your Medicare Part B premium. And, if you are subject to the net investment surtax, which also kicks in at $200k for single filers, that 3.8% would go away under this gift to the wealthy. From your calculation, I can glean that your income is at least $214k, but of course I don't know the character of that income.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but you're barking up the wrong tree on that one. I'm sure the plutocrats will give you a nice cut in your marginal income tax rate, though.

Forbes Article

Quote Originally Posted by Dickhead  [View Original Post]
    You are referring to the IRMAA (income related monthly adjustment amount). Researching this, I see no mention of this being eliminated, only the 0.9% additional Medicare premium and the investment income surtax. Can you post a link or PM me with more info? I doubt I would ever be subject to the IRMAA, but I do advise a few people who might be.

The thing about the IRMAA is it has a two year lookback (it's based on the tax return you filed two years before the year you pay the premium). That really fucks recent retirees who may have been making over $85k when working but sure aren't in retirement. Does that difference get reconciled in some way?

Answer is yes but it sounds like a bit of a hassle:

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10536.pdf

So you have to file:

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-44.pdf

But I still don't see any evidence that the IRMAA is repealed under the House bill.
    This was my source.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/anthony...icaid-funding/#7169d3fd6b7d.

I am not sure you have been keeping up with current events, as the filibuster has been greatly bowdlerized by the Rs recently. See "nuclear option.".
    Thank you Harry Reed (D). .

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DallasNorte For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BayBoy  [View Original Post]
    There's also one big difference bet. The House and the Senate. Its called the filibuster. Which is something I'm sure the Dems will be using to try and stop the repeal efforts by Trumpmeister and his Republican friends in the Senate.
    I am not sure you have been keeping up with current events, as the filibuster has been greatly bowdlerized by the Rs recently. See "nuclear option.".

Senate

Umm well no because there is the slight matter of the upper house of Congress. It's called the Senate.

To review for those who were sick that day: House of Representatives + Senate = Congress. This is what is known as a bicameral legislature, a feature of the US federal government and also 49 of the 50 states.
    There's also one big difference bet. The House and the Senate. Its called the filibuster. Which is something I'm sure the Dems will be using to try and stop the repeal efforts by Trumpmeister and his Republican friends in the Senate. So the repeal efforts will have a much harder time getting thru the Senate than the House.

The fact of the matter is the main tenacles of the Affordable Care Act will stay in place no matter what happens.

You are referring to the IRMAA (income related monthly adjustment amount). Researching this, I see no mention of this being eliminated, only the 0.9% additional Medicare premium and the investment income surtax. Can you post a link or PM me with more info? I doubt I would ever be subject to the IRMAA, but I do advise a few people who might be.

The thing about the IRMAA is it has a two year lookback (it's based on the tax return you filed two years before the year you pay the premium). That really fucks recent retirees who may have been making over $85k when working but sure aren't in retirement. Does that difference get reconciled in some way?

Answer is yes but it sounds like a bit of a hassle:

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10536.pdf

So you have to file:

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-44.pdf

But I still don't see any evidence that the IRMAA is repealed under the House bill.

Can you explain that? $85k is not enough for the investment taxes to kick in, so where is the break? But of course it would be logical for the Republicans to give a tax break to someone making approximately twice the average salary; I just don't see what provision you are talking about.

msn.com is currently conducting the following poll: 'Would you like to see the GOP health care plan pass into law in its current form?' With over 300k responses so far, 'no' votes are 3 times the number of 'yes' votes. I'm sure Dump will just dismiss it as a fake poll conducted by a fake website with fake viewers.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldTravel69  [View Original Post]
    It made it through Congress.
    Umm well no because there is the slight matter of the upper house of Congress. It's called the Senate.

To review for those who were sick that day: House of Representatives + Senate = Congress. This is what is known as a bicameral legislature, a feature of the US federal government and also 49 of the 50 states.

Actually if you are 65, single and make over $85k a year you received a tax break as the bill is currently written.
    Can you explain that? $85k is not enough for the investment taxes to kick in, so where is the break? But of course it would be logical for the Republicans to give a tax break to someone making approximately twice the average salary; I just don't see what provision you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldTravel69  [View Original Post]
    It made it through Congress.

So, for the rest of us, like you and Me that do not make over $100,000.000.00 a year, you will have to sell your house to pay for your Hospital bills for you and your Family. And Maybe your Mom and Dad and or maybe your Grandparents.

Please think about that.

Please.
    Actually if you are 65, single and make over $85k a year you received a tax break as the bill is currently written. I estimated around $2.4k in taxes saved for myself. However, I am in favor of single payer. I am amazed how often I agree with Charles Krauthammer these days. I guess I failed to follow Robert Frost's advice. "I never dared to be radical when young for fear it would make me conservative when old.".

Posting Limitations