This blog is moderated by Big Boss Man
    Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw  [View Original Post]
    Roberto Bolano - Chilean. "Last Evenings on Earth".

Short stories, many of which take place in Mexico. Enjoyed this book, would like to read more of his work.

Juan Gabriel Vasquez - Colombian. "The Sound of Things Falling".

A little quirky. Chalk that up to that he's Colombian. Good story.
    Quirky tastes are probably a characteristic of all guys who assume handles from Dead songs.

Another couple reading options...

Roberto Bolano - Chilean. "Last Evenings on Earth".

Short stories, many of which take place in Mexico. Enjoyed this book, would like to read more of his work.

Juan Gabriel Vasquez - Colombian. "The Sound of Things Falling".

A little quirky. Chalk that up to that he's Colombian. Good story.

Betty Boo or Betibu has been filmed also.

Finished the Claudia Pineiro novels

Of the three that I read, "Thursday Night Widows" , "A Crack in the Wall" and "Betty Boo", I recommend "Betty Boo." It has a Ross Macdonald feel to it if you like that sort of thing and I do. It is also a self-aware attempt to write the mystery novel as literature.

If you prefer film, "Thursday Night Widows" probably can be downloaded from somewhere. http://www.quietearth.us/articles/20...-de-los-jueves.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dickhead  [View Original Post]
    Those who have an interest in Paraguay or at least in fucking paraguayas should read At the tomb of the inflatable pig, written by John Gimlette. He is a pommie, unfortunately, but writes well and has a good take on this largely ignored country.
    My love of paraguyas is second to no man. I would also recommend Weep, Grey Bird, Weep: The Paraguayan War 1864-1870 by Roger Kohn which is about the war, which is the thing which according to legend is what makes paraguayas such legendary bedroom artists.

Llosa

I highly recommend Vargas Llosa's "Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter". Unlike much of his work. Light-hearted, youthful and comedic.

I thought this was a good list, although not everything on it is fiction:

https://soundsandcolours.com/article...america-34374/

Notable by his absence is Sr. Borges. Inflatable Pig made the list, as did David McCullough's treatise on the Panamá Canal, The path between the seas. The latter contributed very heavily to my senior thesis when I was getting my history degree. Many years later the Vargas Llosa novel The green house popped up in a Spanish Lit class and I remember thinking that VL was easier to read in Spanish than Márquez was. I read several of GGM's in English and I think three in Spanish. He used a lot of tenses and verb conjugations you don't see or hear in real life, like the preterite subjunctive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickhead  [View Original Post]
    Those who have an interest in Paraguay or at least in fucking paraguayas should read At the tomb of the inflatable pig, written by John Gimlette. He is a pommie, unfortunately, but writes well and has a good take on this largely ignored country.
    I have a strong interest in fucking paraguayas. I bought the book although I have about nine others sitting on the shelves unread. Luckily I am either unemployed or on hiatus depending on the outcome of an RFP.

I bought two more "Thursday Night Widows" and "Betty Boo" although they are on the shelf as I read Lawrent Binet. Fairly soon I predict that TejanoLibre will be giving Claudia Pinero's Buenos Aires tours. How is he going to get us inside of those gated communities that she likes to write about?

Maybe I should broaden this topic since there are so few novels with which I am familiar. I liked "The Dancer Upstairs" by Nicholas Shakespeare which covers Lima and the Shining Path. I also liked "The End" by Fernanda Torres which covers the end of the mongering scene in Copacabana.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBossMan  [View Original Post]
    Claudia Pineiro is a popular novelist from Argentina whose novels are now being translated into English. I just finished "A Crack In the Wall". I enjoyed the novel for its insight into the Argentine pysche and the descriptions of Buenos Aires streets and buildings. The lead character reminded me of Dostoevsky's unnamed lead character from "Notes From the Underground". Of course, what's a Latin American novel without a dose of magical realism thrown in? https://www.amazon.com/Crack-Wall-Cl.../dp/1908524081.
    Looks like a good recommendation. Thanks.

Latin American Novels in Translation

Claudia Pineiro is a popular novelist from Argentina whose novels are now being translated into English. I just finished "A Crack In the Wall". I enjoyed the novel for its insight into the Argentine pysche and the descriptions of Buenos Aires streets and buildings. The lead character reminded me of Dostoevsky's unnamed lead character from "Notes From the Underground". Of course, what's a Latin American novel without a dose of magical realism thrown in? https://www.amazon.com/Crack-Wall-Cl.../dp/1908524081.
    Last edited by Big Boss Man; 08-05-17 at 13:14. Reason: Broaden topic

Posting Limitations