Thread: Benihana

+ Submit Report
This blog is moderated by Norman Stormin

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by NormanStormin  [View Original Post]
    A DAY THAT WILL LIVE IN INFAMY.

Specifically went here for lunch today as I wanted to sip a bottle of fine saki in remberence of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Maybe even a second bottle for General Lemay's fire bombing of Tokyo.

But Benihana no longer exists. Ironically replaced by Starbucks.
    You sir, are not right in the head lol.

Sushi Club

There are a few Sushi Clubs around the city.

SushiClub Recova

Av. 9 de Julio 1465 Recova de, Posadas, Buenos Aires, Argentina.

www.sushiclub.com.ar

+54 810-222-7874.

Quote Originally Posted by NormanStormin  [View Original Post]

Specifically went here for lunch today as I wanted to sip a bottle of fine saki in remberence of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

DECEMBER 7th

Venues: 8

I think it was Jackson who once gave me the insight on why service at restaurants can be so bad.

Basically, it's that no one ever pushes the waitstaff (actually, insert any service job's name here) to perform better because they look at the guy / gal who should be doing the work and say "you know, I wouldn't want to be pushed into actually doing something if I was in their shoes, so I will just not say anything and use this as an excuse to have a long leisurely meal as well."

Although I understand that many Argentines like to have leisurely meals and the restaurants should accommodate this, the waiters should not use this factor as an excuse to be lazy when faced with other situations. For example, I cannot tell you how many times I have gone to a restaurant alone for lunch or dinner (usually when on a quick business trip) and couldn't get any service from the waiters.

It was as though I was supposed to be happy socializing with myself as I waited endlessly for a menu, the bill, or whatever. Usually in these situations there were numerous waiters lounging around doing nothing. Yes, we have different cultures, but there really is no excuse for this kind of nonsense.

Why is it every post I write lately is about food?

Service is lousy even in the smaller pub type establishments. I would sit down, and wait and wait and wait, just to find a waiter so I could get something to drink, let alone order food. I don't mind spending hours at a table with friends, but at least bring us the menu immediately so we can then spend the 30mins discussing what to eat rather than 30 mins wondering when the fuck we'll get the goddamn menus. I waited at one place for ten minutes and NO ONE came by.

There was one restaurant who had really good service. It was in San Telmo, called Campo di Fiori (I think) The waiters brought everything right away, but I wasn't rushed to make a decision. However, just like the real Campo di Fiori and its tourist trap restaurant, the food was average at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurotrashy27
    As someone who is well traveled, I understand cultural differences playing out, but what about simple basics.

Say hello to a customer when then enter the restaurant.

Bring them a fucking menu and a glass of water.

Let the customer dictate the pace, if they want something, it is your job to know.

Don't let 5 minutes pass without a drink in their hand (unless of course then want / need / desire more time)

Several tourist restaurants (yes, self explanitory) get this, but God Almighty, even some of the nicer ones in Palermo Hollywood, not to mention below that status have some ways to go.

I just hate having to take initiative to do anything in a restaurant at lunch or dinner, especially when I have to do it all day on the job.

Keep fighting the good fight Argieguy.

What about basics.

Quote Originally Posted by Argieguy
    As the owner of several restaurants here in Argentina, I can tell you that from an American point of view, service does not compare at any Argentine restaurant to even the most basic casual dining joint in the USA. This is mainly due to the attitude of American vs Argentine customers. Americans expect quick and efficient service, while Argentines do not demand or expect this kind of service and do not tip for it when they do receive it.

The Argentine sense of time is different in a restaurant. Americans like to get everything quickly, while Argentines don't mind waiting and don't want to be rushed. Dinners can easily extend to 2-3 hours. In the US, most of us don't take more than an hour for any meal. In Argentine, a large party might take 30 minutes just to order the drinks and appetizers.

Believe me, it is a constant topic of conversation with my Argentine partners. I tell them that we need to turn tables quicker and get the waiters to move faster, while they respond that we're going to offend customers. There is just a cultural difference at work that will not allow you (or me, for that matter) to enjoy the service in an Argentine restaurant.

Argieguy
    As someone who is well traveled, I understand cultural differences playing out, but what about simple basics.

Say hello to a customer when then enter the restaurant.

Bring them a fucking menu and a glass of water.

Let the customer dictate the pace, if they want something, it is your job to know.

Don't let 5 minutes pass without a drink in their hand (unless of course then want / need / desire more time)

Several tourist restaurants (yes, self explanitory) get this, but God Almighty, even some of the nicer ones in Palermo Hollywood, not to mention below that status have some ways to go.

I just hate having to take initiative to do anything in a restaurant at lunch or dinner, especially when I have to do it all day on the job.

Keep fighting the good fight Argieguy.

Service in Argentina

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Stormin
    Located in the Alto Palermo shopping center, it is sandwiched between TGI Friday and Starbucks on the corner of Coronel Diaz and Arenales. This is their first store in town which they opened about a month ago. They are open from noon till midnight. The lunchoen section of the menu is available until 4pm.

Prices are very reasonable relative to the quality of food and their high rent location. Appetizers 8p to 20p. Lunches 30p to 40p. Dinners 40p to 60p. Beautiful (tasteful) Japanese ambiance. Four tappan grills you can sit at. Dinning also outside.

I had the salmon lunch boat which was a sampler of almost everything on the menu for 38p. Miso soup, mixed salad, sushi, sashimi, tempura shrimp and vegetables, teriyaki salmon, some pickles, and a side bowl of rice. While each portion was small, in the aggregate it was more than I could eat (and I didn't touch the rice) Every single item properly prepared and a gorgeous presentation.

Two sore points:

1) Horrible service. I came in about 3pm. There was only one other customer in the front just having desert. The back at the grills had two parties of six or eight. There were at least 3 waiters loitering around my area near the bar. I ordered as soon as I came in as I had studied the menu outside. It took 5 minutes just to get my water which was wrong (I ordered with gas) 15 minutes later came a bowl of rice. Shortley thereafter the salad. I wondered what happened to the soup. Just as I was about to ask for the soup came "The Boat". And then 15 minutes later, as if intended to be the desert, came the soup, cold of course.

2) Cover charge 5p. This came as a suprise as I didn't notice it on the menu and most restaurants do not charge it for lunch. I asked to see the menu and it was indeed clearly printed on the bottom of each page. But there was no cover for the cover charge. No tablecloth, no silverware, no bread or appetizer, only a napkin and pair of chopsticks. This calls for a complaint staight to corporate HQ. Unlike the Argies, who can not take critcisim, I'm sure I'll get a nice reply from the good old US of A.

Service has been steadily degenerating in Argentina, as elsewhere, over the last few years. Even if they are breaking in new employees, the service I received was totally unacceptable and demonstrates a serious management problem. I'm eager to hear what corporate has to say of my observations. With such a great product, it would be sad to botch it because you hired some ignorant youngsters.
    As the owner of several restaurants here in Argentina, I can tell you that from an American point of view, service does not compare at any Argentine restaurant to even the most basic casual dining joint in the USA. This is mainly due to the attitude of American vs Argentine customers. Americans expect quick and efficient service, while Argentines do not demand or expect this kind of service and do not tip for it when they do receive it.

The Argentine sense of time is different in a restaurant. Americans like to get everything quickly, while Argentines don't mind waiting and don't want to be rushed. Dinners can easily extend to 2-3 hours. In the US, most of us don't take more than an hour for any meal. In Argentine, a large party might take 30 minutes just to order the drinks and appetizers.

Believe me, it is a constant topic of conversation with my Argentine partners. I tell them that we need to turn tables quicker and get the waiters to move faster, while they respond that we're going to offend customers. There is just a cultural difference at work that will not allow you (or me, for that matter) to enjoy the service in an Argentine restaurant.

Argieguy

No Complaints

I've been there twice since they opened. Reasonable prices and good food. Service was pretty good as well. I can't really think of anything to complain about. It's nice having a place like this in BA.

Kuddos to whomever brought this place here.

Benihana

Located in the Alto Palermo shopping center, it is sandwiched between TGI Friday and Starbucks on the corner of Coronel Diaz and Arenales. This is their first store in town which they opened about a month ago. They are open from noon till midnight. The lunchoen section of the menu is available until 4pm.

Prices are very reasonable relative to the quality of food and their high rent location. Appetizers 8p to 20p. Lunches 30p to 40p. Dinners 40p to 60p. Beautiful (tasteful) Japanese ambiance. Four tappan grills you can sit at. Dinning also outside.

I had the salmon lunch boat which was a sampler of almost everything on the menu for 38p. Miso soup, mixed salad, sushi, sashimi, tempura shrimp and vegetables, teriyaki salmon, some pickles, and a side bowl of rice. While each portion was small, in the aggregate it was more than I could eat (and I didn't touch the rice) Every single item properly prepared and a gorgeous presentation.

Two sore points:

1) Horrible service. I came in about 3pm. There was only one other customer in the front just having desert. The back at the grills had two parties of six or eight. There were at least 3 waiters loitering around my area near the bar. I ordered as soon as I came in as I had studied the menu outside. It took 5 minutes just to get my water which was wrong (I ordered with gas). 15 minutes later came a bowl of rice. Shortley thereafter the salad. I wondered what happened to the soup. Just as I was about to ask for the soup came "The Boat". And then 15 minutes later, as if intended to be the desert, came the soup, cold of course.

2) Cover charge 5p. This came as a suprise as I didn't notice it on the menu and most restaurants do not charge it for lunch. I asked to see the menu and it was indeed clearly printed on the bottom of each page. But there was no cover for the cover charge. No tablecloth, no silverware, no bread or appetizer, only a napkin and pair of chopsticks. This calls for a complaint staight to corporate HQ. Unlike the Argies, who can not take critcisim, I'm sure I'll get a nice reply from the good old US of A.

Service has been steadily degenerating in Argentina, as elsewhere, over the last few years. Even if they are breaking in new employees, the service I received was totally unacceptable and demonstrates a serious management problem. I'm eager to hear what corporate has to say of my observations. With such a great product, it would be sad to botch it because you hired some ignorant youngsters.

Posting Limitations