Thread: Local Food Stuff

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
This blog is moderated by TejanoLibre

Vegetarians making inroads over Meat eaters

Sour Cream

Sour Cream..

It's funny but one of my Argie Ex-Girlfriends came over to spend the weekend and she brought me a jar of Sour Cream out of the Blue!

Brand Name:

Festa..

Queso Blanco Descremado.

(Reduced Fat White Cheese or without cream).

It will be Hard to find unless you go to a Kosher store.

It's Kosher sour cream.

TL.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TejanoLibre For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DavieW  [View Original Post]
    Clearly the customs agents have developed a taste for PB and Maple Syrup!
    I deny any responsibility. However, several years ago when I was coming down twice / month for business, I was a pure maple syrup pusher.

It started when I thought I would bring something unique down from NH to our BsAs subsidiary. Well, it just so happened there was a local producer (near the VT border) with my same (not particularly common) last name. So I brought down a dozen little 8 oz. Jugs with my name on them (I was going to tell them I produced them myself).

I was caught at customs and they wanted to confiscate them all. I embellished my planned story and showed him that the name matched my passport and said they were sales samples. I then grabbed one and said here a gift for you. He thanked me and let me continue. Well, they were a big hit at the subsidiary, so I brought more on the next trip. The customs agent recognized me and brought the supervisor over. So of course, I gave him a little jug. It became my get out of jail free card.

I brought at least one jug a trip to give to the customs agent. I don't know what they were doing with the continuing quantity, but I brought in more stuff ordered by the subsidiary employees than you would believe. ¿cómo se dice (cameras, computers, electronics, brake calipers, sump pump, etc...) you name it I brought it in.

Maybe the customs agents are addicted and will sniff out any pure maple syrup. Maybe they even train the dogs!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Spirit Rider For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DavieW  [View Original Post]

Technically of course, most countries (all?) won't let you bring random food stuffs across international borders.
    I admit that it's been awhile since I've traveled to any place other than Argentina, but I have traveled a lot internationally and I don't think that's true. UNPROCESSED agricultural products which might have live pests on them, sure. Apples, oranges, things like that. But I've brought dulce de leche into the States. You can find mustard from France in many supermarkets in BsAs. People bring wine and liquor into the States (in very limited quantities). I haven't looked at all of the foods sold at EZE but I think I've seen jam and steaks and other food products. Being sold, I think, to people who are leaving the country.

I think more likely is what you said at first. The customs agent wanted some PB and maple syrup. Or the guy had gallons of the stuff and was only staying in Argentina for three days. I wish the guy had asked to speak to a supervisor. But then of course he would have been in REAL trouble.

Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Tres3  [View Original Post]
    Your friend must have looked suspicious or I am just lucky. I have been to Argentina at least a dozen times and customs at EZE has yet to open my suitcase or carry on.

Tres3.
    Good point, I have come through dozens of times myself with all sorts of stuff and never a problem. At times a few questions... "Sir, why do you have three laptops with you?" but never a problem!

Customs at EZE

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre  [View Original Post]
    Oh yeah, a new friend of "Ours" from Canada just brought me some Real Maple Syrup and PB from Canada and they were both confiscated by Argie Customs at the airport!
    Your friend must have looked suspicious or I am just lucky. I have been to Argentina at least a dozen times and customs at EZE has yet to open my suitcase or carry on.

Tres3.

Quote Originally Posted by AllIWantIsLove  [View Original Post]
    For what possible reason?

Technically of course, most countries (all?) won't let you bring random food stuffs across international borders.

...Oh yeah, a new friend of "Ours" from Canada just brought me some Real Maple Syrup and PB from Canada and they were both confiscated by Argie Customs at the airport! ...
    For what possible reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevins  [View Original Post]
    double cream.
    I haven't seen any double cream here for about 3 months. I used to buy it every Friday as part of my weekly shop and it just disappeared off the shelves!

The same happened with Philadelphia cream cheese for a few weeks, but that came back again. I made a hilarious attempt to bake a cheesecake with the local "cream cheese" which went straight into the bin!

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf50  [View Original Post]
    I am still looking for GOOD Canadian or Vermont maple syrup if any one comes across any.
    I don't want to bring ants to a picnic, but I think this will remain the holy grail here. I don't think it will ever be found.

McDonald's has American Style Pancakes at the moment but I have not tried them.
    Haven't eaten them but I have seen them, they aren't pancakes, they are crepes with dulce de leche.

Kevin is correct, casan crem isn't sour cream if you're looking to substitute it for cooking, but it's good on baked potato's and fajitas. I've both seen and tasted the sour cream he makes and it's good.

Special K!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevins  [View Original Post]
    This is really off topic but there really is no sour cream here so I make it.

Buy two plastic containers of sancor double cream.

Put them in a clean marmalde glass bottle with two tablespoons of white vineager and two tablespoons of wine vineager.

Close lid...shake very well for 10 seconds and then put in a dry warm place like ontop of the refrigerador and don't touch it at all for exactly 36 hours.. Then either refrigiate or use. It will stay good I the fridge for about three days max so plan to make it about 48 hours before use..

With this recipe for sour cream and phila cream cheese I make a cheese cake just like ny or philly cheese cake.
    Thanks Man!

I swear that I have seen and bought Crema Acidos or Acidica or close to that years ago.

Now, I think that it's almost easy to make yogurt and or cottage cheese Thighs.

Love cottage cheese.

Great weight loss tool too.

I have now dropped 45 pounds but That's too much and I need to halt the diet.

Check this site out:

http://diccionario.reverso.net/ingle...ttage%20cheese

It does not apply in this case but it's a decent Dictionary I think.

Also this page for fish:

http://www.shertonenglish.com/resour...sh-seafood.php

Good translation of fish from Spanish to English if you cook fish down here.

Thanks,

TL.

Oh yeah, a new friend of "Ours" from Canada just brought me some Real Maple Syrup and PB from Canada and they were both confiscated by Argie Customs at the airport!

McDonald's has American Style Pancakes at the moment but I have not tried them.

Sour cream

This is really off topic but there really is no sour cream here so I make it.

Buy two plastic containers of sancor double cream.

Put them in a clean marmalde glass bottle with two tablespoons of white vineager and two tablespoons of wine vineager.

Close lid...shake very well for 10 seconds and then put in a dry warm place like ontop of the refrigerador and don't touch it at all for exactly 36 hours.. Then either refrigiate or use. It will stay good I the fridge for about three days max so plan to make it about 48 hours before use..

With this recipe for sour cream and phila cream cheese I make a cheese cake just like ny or philly cheese cake.

I am still looking for GOOD Canadian or Vermont maple syrup if any one comes across any.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyRulz  [View Original Post]
    Sour Cream=Casan Crèm http://www.casancrem.com.ar/wp/.

Good Tuna, Camponelli or something like that. It's twice as expensive and in a light blue tin. Usually about 16 pesos a tin. It's large chunk tuna that is packed in oil.

Cottage cheese, no fucking idea.

For any strange and unusual stuff try the big markets in China Town. Rooster sauce, all kinds of hot sauce, obviously all the Asian stuff. My favorite one is.

Supermercado Asia Oriental at Mendoza 1650 a good map can be found here.

https://maps.google.com.ar/maps/ms?i...9fd06e50527edc

I would not buy meats or fish there, it is pretty much gospel that the Chinese turn the refrigerators off at night to save power. I don't KNOW this, but it seems to be common knowledge. Do NOT go on the weekends.

Fresh herbs, the local fruit and veg stands if run by Bolivians. Cilantro, rosemary (romero), basil (albaca) but oddly you rarely see fresh oregano. The Bolivian places will also usually have fresh serrano and jalapeno peppers.

I'll tell everybody where to buy big Turkeys after I get mine this year if Jax wants to do Thanksgiving at the house again.

Speaking of Thanksgiving, I'll pass on special and current Baires Girls picks for a couple cans of cranberry sauce (that gross jelly stuff) and some cloves for anybody that's coming down. Special referrals for a can or two of pumpkin filling so I can try to make a pie.

The big Jumbo in Palermo has an Import Foods section all the way across the store catty corner from the entrance. They usually have Miller beer, sometimes XX and other assorted stuff. Snyders pretzels, Old el Passo stuff, just odd, random US food stuff. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, it's almost as if their buyers saw it in a catalogue and just checked off some items. Check the expiration date on EVERYTHING. If you have wheels, the same thing goes for Walmart. With them it's as if somebody at Walmart Central said "Hey I know, lets see if anybody in Argentina will buy XXXX" and they just ship it.

DR.

Everything else is hit or miss.
    Thanks but I have tried ALL of those places at different times.

Sometimes Carefour has American PB!

I did not think that the catfood was good enough though.

TL.

Mis dos centavos

Local Food Stuff and Where the Hell to Find it -

Please help out some of the Boys that are living down here to locate semi-equivalent Food products .

What are they called and where do you find them .

Sour Cream ?

Cottage Cheese ?

Real canned Tuna and not the Cat-Food that they pawn off.
    Sour Cream=Casan Crèm http://www.casancrem.com.ar/wp/.

Good Tuna, Camponelli or something like that. It's twice as expensive and in a light blue tin. Usually about 16 pesos a tin. It's large chunk tuna that is packed in oil.

Cottage cheese, no fucking idea.

For any strange and unusual stuff try the big markets in China Town. Rooster sauce, all kinds of hot sauce, obviously all the Asian stuff. My favorite one is.

Supermercado Asia Oriental at Mendoza 1650 a good map can be found here.

https://maps.google.com.ar/maps/ms?i...9fd06e50527edc

I would not buy meats or fish there, it is pretty much gospel that the Chinese turn the refrigerators off at night to save power. I don't KNOW this, but it seems to be common knowledge. Do NOT go on the weekends.

Fresh herbs, the local fruit and veg stands if run by Bolivians. Cilantro, rosemary (romero), basil (albaca) but oddly you rarely see fresh oregano. The Bolivian places will also usually have fresh serrano and jalapeno peppers.

I'll tell everybody where to buy big Turkeys after I get mine this year if Jax wants to do Thanksgiving at the house again.

Speaking of Thanksgiving, I'll pass on special and current Baires Girls picks for a couple cans of cranberry sauce (that gross jelly stuff) and some cloves for anybody that's coming down. Special referrals for a can or two of pumpkin filling so I can try to make a pie.

The big Jumbo in Palermo has an Import Foods section all the way across the store catty corner from the entrance. They usually have Miller beer, sometimes XX and other assorted stuff. Snyders pretzels, Old el Passo stuff, just odd, random US food stuff. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, it's almost as if their buyers saw it in a catalogue and just checked off some items. Check the expiration date on EVERYTHING. If you have wheels, the same thing goes for Walmart. With them it's as if somebody at Walmart Central said "Hey I know, lets see if anybody in Argentina will buy XXXX" and they just ship it.

DR.

Everything else is hit or miss.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Daddy Rulz For This Post:

Posting Limitations