This blog is moderated by TejanoLibre
    Quote Originally Posted by FrancKing  [View Original Post]
    I Think that you Absolutely need a Fucking D.N.I and it's a long and drawn out pain in the ass to obtain one.
    You can register with your passport. Argentina blocked unregistered cell phones a while ago. Most countries have.

I Think that you Absolutely need a Fucking D.N.I and it's a long and drawn out pain in the ass to obtain one.

Winner 2017 Noob of the year

It certainly is a long drawn out process to get a DNI. However "you" don't need a DNI, you just need to know someone who has a DNI.

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre  [View Original Post]

8,000 cell phones are reportedly stolen each day.

Plus the Stolen phones that the people don't even bother reporting.

Blocking the phones is an attempt to block the stolen phones , burners and Narco-phones and probably unregistered phones.

I'm just guessing .

Best of Luck .

TL.

D.N.I for Foreigners in Argentina

D.N.I for Foreigners in Argentina:

https://www.4rentargentina.com/blog/dni-for-foreigners

Have Fun,

TL.

I Think that you Absolutely need a Fucking D.N.I

Quote Originally Posted by ElPerro  [View Original Post]
    I'm sure you are right about this. I remember having to go through this song and dance once in Medellin. As long as I don't need a DNI to get a SIM card I'll be satisfied.

8,000 cell phones are reportedly stolen each day.

Plus the Stolen phones that the people don't even bother reporting.

Blocking the phones is an attempt to block the stolen phones , burners and Narco-phones and probably unregistered phones.

I'm just guessing .

Best of Luck .

TL.

The new rules just require you to enter a DNI when you try to make your first call with a new, unregistered chip bought here. So it may be a change to Argentines, however if you previously did this with a passport, I can only guess you can still do the same thing, since that would then be a registered chip. You can also use your US chip, without any registration, to use WhatsApp. Just be sure to download WhatsApp while still in the USA, since they send you codes etc. I have been using a tracfon here for a year without paying anything, without registering, etc. I imagine one day they will assign the number to someone else. Until then, it works fine for WhatsApp, although you do need wifi.
    You come here for cheap pussy I assume lol. So the telephone issue isn't going to change your tourism plans. There are millions of Argentines, and only a handful of foreign tourists here, and a bloated and inept government, I doubt they consider what the small number of tourists think when making policy. They would rather drink a mate than worry about how the policy affects us lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ElPerro  [View Original Post]
    As I contemplate a return to BsAs there is another fly in the ointment ? I've never had an issue getting a SIM card in BsAs before without a DNI. Have things changed ? I used to get a Personal SIM card with only my passport necessary. You would think a country in dire need of extra income would not make it such a hassle to be a tourist.

When I was in school in high school 20+ years ago, before beepers even, I know a kid in my chemistry class who called in a bomb threat to avoid a test. This new system doesn't do anything to protect you, no more than a TSA agent giving you a proctological exam protects you from bombs, since obviously you know you don't have a bomb already. Just the growth of the surveillance state for its own purposes that have nothing to do with your wellbeing, the true reasons for which are concealed from you by the yellow media propaganda. In any case, it is quite easy to get someone else to register it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf50  [View Original Post]
    I am guessing that Argentina like most countries has finally learned that phones need to be registered. The reasoning can be seen with the recent (or not so recent) wave of bomb scares in the cities school district where students were trying to avoid taking the year end exams. People with a unregistered phone can cause havoc, and they have. I remember just a few years ago that the same thing happened ( registering phones) in the D.R.. Reason?? They instituted a nation wide 911 system. This helps prevent crank and false calls. I would guess that theywould allow you to use a passport though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf50  [View Original Post]
    I am guessing that Argentina like most countries has finally learned that phones need to be registered. The reasoning can be seen with the recent (or not so recent) wave of bomb scares in the cities school district where students were trying to avoid taking the year end exams. People with a unregistered phone can cause havoc, and they have. I remember just a few years ago that the same thing happened ( registering phones) in the D.R.. Reason?? They instituted a nation wide 911 system. This helps prevent crank and false calls. I would guess that theywould allow you to use a passport though.
    I'm sure you are right about this. I remember having to go through this song and dance once in Medellin. As long as I don't need a DNI to get a SIM card I'll be satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by Admin2  [View Original Post]
    I heard about this while I was gone and was prepared to register the phone I had bought in BKK. What I read was that some magic program was to cut them off after nine months. When I entered customs waved me through so I just kept walking. When I restarted my account at movistar (prepago at first) I asked and he told me new Samsungs and Iphones. I converted my account to a plan and they had my DNI for that so while the sim is registered the IMEI nor MAC address of my phone is so I don't know. I have never had a problem getting buying a sim for people and have done it twenty times. I suspect it's going to be one of those laws that doesn't mean anything.

Hecho la le, hecho la trampa.
    As I contemplate a return to BsAs there is another fly in the ointment ? I've never had an issue getting a SIM card in BsAs before without a DNI. Have things changed ? I used to get a Personal SIM card with only my passport necessary. You would think a country in dire need of extra income would not make it such a hassle to be a tourist.

As of October

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre  [View Original Post]
    Recently Argentina BLOCKED ALL unregistered Cell Phones !

So as far as I know NONE of your Argentine Sim Cards will work if they were never or are not Registered Officially which probably means NO Chica's Contacts will be available and if your Phone is a Burner or you just change the Sim when you are "In Country" then all you have is a Paperweight !

Please advise if you are more informed than what little I understand !

Grassy Ass,

TL.
    I heard about this while I was gone and was prepared to register the phone I had bought in BKK. What I read was that some magic program was to cut them off after nine months. When I entered customs waved me through so I just kept walking. When I restarted my account at movistar (prepago at first) I asked and he told me new Samsungs and Iphones. I converted my account to a plan and they had my DNI for that so while the sim is registered the IMEI nor MAC address of my phone is so I don't know. I have never had a problem getting buying a sim for people and have done it twenty times. I suspect it's going to be one of those laws that doesn't mean anything.

Hecho la le, hecho la trampa.

Argentina can be a pain to get a working local SIM card. Why they are so uptight about personal information is beyond me. I was just in Portugal, and you could buy a SIM at the Vodaphone kiosk at the airport for 10 Euro with zero ID required. It was a breeze.

In BA it isn't so easy but here is what you can do. Find a local mom and pop shop selling SIMs. Buy one and act surprised and upset when you learn you need a DNI to activate. Explain you are just visiting but really need a working phone, and ask if they have a number they can use. A 500 peso tip should do the trick. At current rates even 1000 would be a fair investment IMO.

Cell phones

Quote Originally Posted by JimBob  [View Original Post]
    TL didn't ask about renting a phone. I was just answering his question. I don't know why you would rent a phone in any case, and I don't know how to do it. Local chips are very cheap. You can also just use WhatsApp with your US chip. TL was also worried about losing all the numbers in your original chip. But if there is some reason you want to rent go for it let us know how it works out

And just how do you register with a DNI number? As a US citizen, I do not have a DNI number. By the way I have a collection of SIM chips from Argentina, Chile and Peru.

Don B.

TL didn't ask about renting a phone. I was just answering his question. I don't know why you would rent a phone in any case, and I don't know how to do it. Local chips are very cheap. You can also just use WhatsApp with your US chip. TL was also worried about losing all the numbers in your original chip. But if there is some reason you want to rent go for it let us know how it works out

Quote Originally Posted by DonB  [View Original Post]
    How about renting a cell phone?

Don B.

Cell phones

Quote Originally Posted by JimBob  [View Original Post]
    You need to register the phone with a DNI number that is all, so it shouldn't be too hard to do right? You can also use WhatsApp with an unregistered phone

How about renting a cell phone?

Don B.

Posting Limitations