Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 8 of 137 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 58 108 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by DavieW  [View Original Post]
    <snip> I once got pick-pocketed on the Subte by a very organized gang who created a fake crush of people getting on to the train. <snip>
    It doesn't have to be a fake crush. I got pick-pocketed on the Subte during rush hour when every car was filled beyond capacity. It was a front pocket too. I had no idea until a guy standing near the door got off just as the doors started to close. I thought that was sort of strange and then I realized what had happened and checked the front pocket in which I had been carrying my wallet.

Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre  [View Original Post]
    Just photograph the bill before you hand it to them.

TL.
    I'd do that anywhere in the world when handing over a large denomination note to a taxi driver! Prior to mobile phones I'd always note down the serial number.

Take a Picture of the Serial Number

Quote Originally Posted by HotRod11  [View Original Post]
    I am now holding 2 - 100 peso bills that are worthless. Both came from taxi drivers and from a scam where you hand them a 100 peso bill and they return it saying it is not acceptable because it has a tear on the corner or an ink mark on the bill and in reality this is not the bill you gave them. Locals tell me they always look at the last 2 numbers on the bill that they hand to a taxi driver....good advice.
    Just photograph the bill before you hand it to them.

TL.

Quote Originally Posted by TomJackin  [View Original Post]
    Robbed 20+ times. Could you please expand on that? Just to help me and others to avoid being robbed more than once.
    Well documented elsewhere on this forum.

Mostly from when I lived in Puerto Iguazu, which is a pretty typical border town, blighted with gangs coming over from Paraguay and Brasil to rob the tourists. The house was burgled a number of times, at least twice by the local police. In Buenos Aires I was most vulnerable when out with my toddler - if you've got a kid in your arms you're considered an easy target (no chance of either fighting back or running!). Luckily mainly just pick-pockets - only twice threatened with violence and only once had a weapon (knife) pulled on me - each time when I had my kid with me.

One thing I can tell you - if you are robbed, don't bother going to the cops. It's likely to cause you more bother than the thieves did. I once got pick-pocketed on the Subte by a very organized gang who created a fake crush of people getting on to the train. Other passengers who witnessed it told me to check my pockets because they recognized the gang and knew what had happened. I went to the cops and they held me for 4 hours before eventually telling me they could do nothing about it. I told them I could give them good descriptions of at least 3 of them - they declined the offer. It turns out, not only did the cops know them, but they had an agreement that as long as they didn't hurt anyone and only targeted foreigners, they'd leave them alone.

Quote Originally Posted by HotRod11  [View Original Post]
    I am now holding 2 - 100 peso bills that are worthless. Both came from taxi drivers and from a scam where you hand them a 100 peso bill and they return it saying it is not acceptable because it has a tear on the corner or an ink mark on the bill and in reality this is not the bill you gave them. Locals tell me they always look at the last 2 numbers on the bill that they hand to a taxi driver....good advice.
    The uber option is very appealing.

Taxi thieves

Quote Originally Posted by DavieW  [View Original Post]
    But in my 7+ years in ARG I was robbed more than most (20+ times!)
    Robbed 20+ times. Could you please expand on that? Just to help me and others to avoid being robbed more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by Tres3  [View Original Post]
    It is an unfortunate reality, but BA is full of petty thieves and fraudsters.
    Never a truer word spoken. But in my 7+ years in ARG I was robbed more than most (20+ times!), but never by a taxi driver. I found them to be a very proud bunch who hated to hear stories about other drivers ripping people off. On more than one occasion I've had a driver take me home for free when I've realized I didn't have enough cash for the fare. Also been given discounts on the meter reading if they've inadvertently taken a longer route than necessary. It wasn't all good mind - I had a few bad experiences in taxis, having been thrown out after asking them to stop texting-and-driving, or smoking!

Why I made the original post

Many of the rides I have taken have ranged from 60 to 140 pesos so the 100 peso bill is a natural one to exchange. I have had a long day and a couple of drinks but isn't the initial drop 23 or 27 pesos now? The feedback is coming from very experienced guys so the advice on taxis should be heeded.

You are right

However problem is that when you draw money from ATM only 100 bills are delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by Tres3  [View Original Post]
    Even though the newer bills are harder to counterfeit, the haste of taxis, especially after dark, and the unfamiliarity of the currency make cheating the gringo passenger relatively easy. I carry a wad of small bills in a separate pocket so that I am able to pay the taxi driver very close to the exact amount of the fare. You should also be sure the the driver puts the "flag" down on the meter and always try to take a "radio" taxi. It is an unfortunate reality, but BA is full of petty thieves and fraudsters.

Tres3.

Still Applies

Quote Originally Posted by BigBossMan  [View Original Post]
    The security card at my hotel that offers advice says you should avoid giving a 100 peso bill to a taxi driver. It might have been true two or three years ago.
    Even though the newer bills are harder to counterfeit, the haste of taxis, especially after dark, and the unfamiliarity of the currency make cheating the gringo passenger relatively easy. I carry a wad of small bills in a separate pocket so that I am able to pay the taxi driver very close to the exact amount of the fare. You should also be sure the the driver puts the "flag" down on the meter and always try to take a "radio" taxi. It is an unfortunate reality, but BA is full of petty thieves and fraudsters.

Tres3.

This might make you laugh

The security card at my hotel that offers advice says you should avoid giving a 100 peso bill to a taxi driver. It might have been true two or three years ago.

Xoom Money Transfer

Quote Originally Posted by Slipknot  [View Original Post]
    Hey guys, it looks like I will be back in BA late summer for a few months and wanted to ask what was the best way to receive a money transfer from the US that I can convert to cash? Is Western Union a good option, or something similar? I plan to get a Schwab ATM card, but there might be occasions where I will need cash and don't want to set up a local account, etc.

Thanks in advance.
    Howdy Captain ,

Check out Xoom as a way to transfer money from the United States to yourself down here in Buenos Aires.

The company is owned by PayPal and the transfer fees are very reasonable compared to Western Onion .

Lots of convenient pickup locations too.

Actually cheaper than using an ATM for now .

Maybe only 4% but better than a stick in the ass.

After a certain amount of money has been transferred the Argentine government may ask you for proof of income .

Good Luck and let me know if you need anything before you arrive .

It's been a while !

TL.

Western Union to receive money transfers from US?

Hey guys, it looks like I will be back in BA late summer for a few months and wanted to ask what was the best way to receive a money transfer from the US that I can convert to cash? Is Western Union a good option, or something similar? I plan to get a Schwab ATM card, but there might be occasions where I will need cash and don't want to set up a local account, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Two other exchanges this week January 2017

Today I received 16.63 per dollar. Yesterday I received 16.9 per dollar.

Posting Limitations