Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 3 of 137 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 103 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Ricerocket99 is right. Western Union shows a rate of 81 pesos to the dollar this morning and Xoom shows a rate of 68/$1. That doesn't make sense - they should be about the same.

Ricerocket99, most of the exchange shops on Calle Florida these days are reputable and professional. See my earlier posts on the subject or ask other members where they go. Just ignore the touts in the street and go directly into the shop.

Does anyone know what the exchange shops on Florida are paying for US $s this week?

GV.

I stand corrected. I checked on my WU app today and it does show 1 to 81 with various fees. Fees depend on payment options, if you pay in person at an approved WU USA location, you get the lowest fee (usually one time fee). Rate would be 1 to 78/79 after paying the one time fee. If you pay online through a debit card, credit card or bank account, the fees would become a percentage of the transfer amount, around 10%, which is still decent so you still get 1 to 73. I plan to WU myself before I leave the great ol US of A and pick up the money when I get there.

Has anyone done this before? Transferring money to oneself? Wonder why WU is offering such a favorable rate, better than xoom or any service for that matter. I will still have cash on hand as well. Don’t plan on using debit or credit card, but will have them as emergency options .

Quote Originally Posted by Ricerocket99  [View Original Post]
    Going to BsAs in 3 weeks as a first timer, so figuring out the best option to get the most out of my USD. Doesnt WU charge fees? I know cash is king there so I assumed Calle Florida would be the route to go, but since I dont know any reputable places, I dont want any chances to be scammed. Im using Tejanos services, so I hope he can hook it up!

Going to BsAs in 3 weeks as a first timer, so figuring out the best option to get the most out of my USD. Doesn’t WU charge fees? I know cash is king there so I assumed Calle Florida would be the route to go, but since I don’t know any reputable places, I don’t want any chances to be scammed. I’m using Tejano’s services, so I hope he can hook it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Member#3320  [View Original Post]
    Too low. Western union is 1 usd = 81.

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre  [View Original Post]
    Anyone like the idea of 77 to 1?

USD $100.00's to Pesos. Completely Safe and SECURE .

F
    Too low. Western union is 1 usd = 81.

Anyone like the idea of 77 to 1 ?

Anyone like the idea of 77 to 1?

USD $100.00's to Pesos. Completely Safe and SECURE .

From a very GOOD friend and occasional PARTNER who lived in New York and obviously can Speak English and I can VOUCH for him 100% !

My words are GOLDEN like always !

Tejano Libre is ALIVE and WELL !

Later Gators !

Or Gatos ?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomaso276  [View Original Post]
    All of South America is flooded with the older bills. As a local expat I am looking for new - blue stripe - bills here in BA.

I will make it worth your while. Check my reliability & legitimacy with Admin. Plus you must be a veteran on this board.

For example, are you ready to leave BA and have dollars left over; do you have room for bills under the 10g limit as you fly to BA.

PM me for details.
    Instant transfer to your account using Zelle+ 3% .

1000 bucks gets usa $33 or peso rate today = about 2400 pesos = 1 chica session.

PM to discuss.

New $100 bills

All of South America is flooded with the older bills. As a local expat I am looking for new - blue stripe - bills here in BA.

I will make it worth your while. Check my reliability & legitimacy with Admin. Plus you must be a veteran on this board.

For example, are you ready to leave BA and have dollars left over; do you have room for bills under the 10g limit as you fly to BA.

PM me for details.

Argentinians now have to pay 30% more over official rate on card purchases in dollars. It pushes dolar blue rate up. Now USD cash is a way to go, as interbank xe rate does not reflect real demand, and for now we are going back in time.

Tourist dollar

Just a note, there are several exchange rates you can take a look; one is at at xe.com, then dolar blue rate, then a rate at a particular exchange place, and then an official rate. Tourist dollar rate has been implemented, it relates to dollars purchased by Argentinians for purchases and travel abroad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mendez  [View Original Post]
    Isn't it possible to get foreign money from ATM's?
    I don't think you can get USD out of an Argie ATM.

Getting ARS before traveling is a pain in my ass. I'll pay the ATM fee at the airport for my first fistful of pesos for walking around money.

Grab one of these travel wallet things.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/22/d8...f0c896d99b.jpg

Stick a grand or two in it (before you leave the US) and tuck it in your pants (don't put your passport in it, its a PIA). This thing doesn't come out until you're in your hotel room. Take what you want to exchange and put the rest in the safe along with a credit card and your driver's license (won't do you any good unless trying to establish your identity at the US embassy) and a photocopy of your passport. That way, if you end up having 'problems' you'll still have the resources necessary to get home.

The ATM fees, over the course of a week of mongering, will add up to at least an hour or two with a lovely lass.

Isn't it possible to get foreign money from ATM's?

At FunPete: I agree, however my institution covers withdrawal fees only, but not the ATM fees itself - you are blessed with a better choice as a consumer. If your institution gives you exact XE market rate, then you're blessed twice, I have no access it this service, even through exchange houses. My Mastercard or VISA charge 2.5% over XE rate. As for hotels, I don't pay ahead and pay at the hotel only and it helps with tax issue in Argentina or Colombia. I wish Brazil does the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf50  [View Original Post]
    To begin whith a lot of places give 10 to 20 % discount for cash. Plus changing dollars for pesos has a better exchange rate then the banks give you on your card. With the return of a corrupt goverment in a month this will become even more in favor of cash is king.
    As I am posting now, 1 USD on my cc will cost me 61.25 ARS including 2.5% charged by VISA. Dolar blue rate 'compra' is 63.75 unless I find a kiosk which is going to offer a better rate. This is 4% advantageous to me if I had cash and not use my cc. However, I am a tourist and don't travel with piles of cash for security reasons. It costs me much more to withdraw pesos than 4% because of the 'smart' government who limits dispensing cash out of ATM. Where can I withdraw 30K in pesos in one transaction, for example at ATM on VISA System? Nowhere, plus the fees they charge, 420 Pesos on 4K to 5K withdrawal, which is robbery. Cash is always king, but that is what many Argentinians do, they suck cash, exchange it and deposit in Urugauay. The government will not achieve anything unless they make sure there is trust and economic benefits are shared.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldTravel69  [View Original Post]
    A lot of places charge extra for using your credit card.

Cash is the best.

I guess you have not traveled much?
    Multiple transactions and no extra fees for using cc. Sometimes, the vendor offers a discount if paid in cash, meaning no debit card or credit card transaction. It should be illegal, but who am I to teach Argentinians of how to manage their economy.

Credit Card - Cash- ATM- Etc.

Let me give some numbers:

In Florida cash exchange I got $1US = 65 AR Pesos today.

Using my credit card (I do not get charged any foreign exchange fees or so): $1US = 59.53 AR Pesos.

Using my ATM (my bank refunds ATM Fees): $1US = 59.47 AR Pesos.

Be carefull with ATM fees, they charged me 625 AR pesos (US$ 10.51) which my bank refunded. So if you use ATM it can get pricey, also I do not know what the withdrawal limit is?

As far as I can conclude, cash will give you about 10% or so more value, not so much of a big deal. I thought the blue rate was around AR75+ which would make it really beneficial. However, at 10% I do use my credit card when convenient. Also as far as a cash discount, sure any country, even in the US, when you pay cash vs. Credit card you can get a discount, for example no sales tax, etc.

One more note on credit cards: Foreigners as of now do not pay Hotel Taxes when they pay with a foreign credit card and have a non Argentinean passport. So in that case it is actually beneficial to pay with credit card, because the Hotel tourist tax is around 21% or so added to the room fee.

Good Luck.

FP.

Posting Limitations