Thread: American Politics during the Trump Presidency

+ Submit Report
Page 16 of 35 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 ... LastLast
This blog is moderated by Admin

Keystone Pipeline

For all you guys that think the Pipeline is a good deal.

Think again.

210,000 galleons spilled.

This is from the TV news station that Putin's Puppet, Trump says is Fake News.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/16/us/key...eak/index.html

Winner 2017 Noob of the year

You're such a pedant. And no that doesn't mean you like little children.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickhead  [View Original Post]
    Oh shit. I fucked that all up. What I meant to write was, "Most native speakers of English probably can't explain why 'if I was you' is always incorrect.".

"If I was you" is always incorrect. It has to be "If I were you," because since as JB pointed out, I can never be you and vice versa. Therefore we have a "contrary to fact condition," and that requires the use of the subjunctive mood in both Spanish (where it requires the imperfect subjunctive as in 'yo si fuera vos') and English. In English the present subjunctive, both singular and plural, would be 'were' and the past form would be 'had been.' In the indicative mood, 'were' is indeed plural.

That was a pretty bad typo on my part. I apologize profusely and will now take myself outside and slap myself around some.

Fuck me.

Oh shit. I fucked that all up. What I meant to write was, "Most native speakers of English probably can't explain why 'if I was you' is always incorrect.".

"If I was you" is always incorrect. It has to be "If I were you," because since as JB pointed out, I can never be you and vice versa. Therefore we have a "contrary to fact condition," and that requires the use of the subjunctive mood in both Spanish (where it requires the imperfect subjunctive as in 'yo si fuera vos') and English. In English the present subjunctive, both singular and plural, would be 'were' and the past form would be 'had been.' In the indicative mood, 'were' is indeed plural.

That was a pretty bad typo on my part. I apologize profusely and will now take myself outside and slap myself around some.

Fuck me.

Winner 2017 Noob of the year

For one thing you could never be me lol. For another, were is plural (If I was you is correct).

Most native speakers of English probably can't explain why 'if I were you' is always incorrect. Right?

I couldn't

Most native speakers of English probably can't explain why 'if I were you' is always incorrect. Right?
    And if it was anybody except you I would doubt that this statement was correct. I have long since learned not to question you on the subject of grammar.

Quote Originally Posted by AllIWantIsLove  [View Original Post]
    I don't doubt that you are right but could you explain why the grammar is incorrect? Thanks, Bob.
    Certainly. In Spanish, the definite article (the) is used much more frequently than in English. Compare 'Me gustan los perros' (definite article required) to 'I like dogs.' No native speaker of English is going to say, 'I like the dogs,' when just referring to dogs in general.

In contrast, the indefinite article (a, an, some) is used much less frequently in Spanish than in English. Specifically, if a noun is unmodified, the indefinite article is not used. In the T-shirt, the noun 'pendejo' is not modified by an adjective. He is just a dumbass, not a great big dumbass, or a fucking dumbass, or a fat dumbass.

So, you could say, 'Él es pendejo,' or you could say, 'Él es un pendejo inmenso.' But, you cannot say 'Él es un pendejo.'

Trump es pendejo. Trump es muy pendejo. Trump es un pendejo gordo estúpido de mierda. In the latter case, you have adjectives modifying the noun, so you need the indefinite article.

Now, would some native speakers of Spanish say what the T-shirt said? Sure, just as many native speakers of English will say things like 'If I was you,' 'me and him went to the store,' or 'between you and I.' All of those are incorrect and all of us have heard them hundreds of times. Similarly, 'Hablo español' is incorrect because the definite article is required, but you never hear 'Hablo el español,' (except from me) as one of my profesoras acknowledged without being able to explain why.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dickhead For This Post:

Both McConnell and Ryan admitted today that they were flat out lying to the US public about their respective tax proposals. This is puzzling because in this day and age, if you say something for publication, it will definitely be vetted. So to say something like everybody will get a tax cut, or nobody's taxes will go up, seems fairly stupid to me. This is not particularly surprising given the stupidity of so many current Republicans. It seems to me that the Republicans were better liars back in the Reagan era than they are today.

Then you had these local Republican politicians in Alabama saying that it was okay to molest teenagers because when Joseph allegedly met Mary and they allegedly somehow immaculately gave birth to allegedly jesus, Mary was allegedly a teenager. Another local Republican politician said that even if Moore molested teenagers he would vote for him anyway.

I really don't know what to say but I think the Republicans are in some trouble going forward because they just don't seem to know how to lie very effectively any more. 30 or 40 years ago I would have said that Republicans were better at lying than Democrats but now I think the Democrats are better liars.
    IMHO they weren't talking to you. They were talking to people who want to believe what they were saying. And more importantly they were talking to people who get all of their "news" from Fox and Rush.

Bob.

... 'Donald es un pendejo.' ... that Spanish is incorrect as any local third grader could have told you if you had bothered to ask.
    I don't doubt that you are right but could you explain why the grammar is incorrect?

Thanks, Bob.

Why the US makes itself unpopular

I am in an unidentified Spanish-speaking country right now. Went to a gringo-owned bar that is also popular with locals. The owner was pushing T-shirts saying 'Donald es un pendejo.' And I mean pushing them. Finally she offered to give me one for free because she said 'it is important for the locals to know how we feel.'

No, it actually isn't. So finally I told her, 'I would be completely embarrassed to wear that shirt in public.' She went from zero to b!tch in about three seconds and snarled, 'Why? Because you are a Trump supporter?'

Umm well no you ignorant fat fucking gringa cow, it is because that Spanish is incorrect as any local third grader could have told you if you had bothered to ask.

Both McConnell and Ryan admitted today that they were flat out lying to the US public about their respective tax proposals. This is puzzling because in this day and age, if you say something for publication, it will definitely be vetted. So to say something like everybody will get a tax cut, or nobody's taxes will go up, seems fairly stupid to me. This is not particularly surprising given the stupidity of so many current Republicans. It seems to me that the Republicans were better liars back in the Reagan era than they are today.

Then you had these local Republican politicians in Alabama saying that it was okay to molest teenagers because when Joseph allegedly met Mary and they allegedly somehow immaculately gave birth to allegedly jesus, Mary was allegedly a teenager. Another local Republican politician said that even if Moore molested teenagers he would vote for him anyway.

I really don't know what to say but I think the Republicans are in some trouble going forward because they just don't seem to know how to lie very effectively any more. 30 or 40 years ago I would have said that Republicans were better at lying than Democrats but now I think the Democrats are better liars.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrain  [View Original Post]
    Trump was a Democrat before he switched party. Read up on your history.
    That is common knowledge. Being a liberal often has nothing to do with political party affiliation, you should read up on your history.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldTravel69  [View Original Post]
    He switched parties, because Putin can control the Republicans easier.
    If you watch the Frontline documentary on Trump and Clinton, Trump said the same things about Reagan as he said about Obama. His message has been very consistent for the past thirty years. It just resonates better now.

The 1988 election: The Trump Phenomenon begins.

In 1987, Trump toyed with the idea of running against George H.W. Bush for the Republican nomination. Mike Dunbar, a prominent Republican power player from Portsmouth, N.H., organized a “Draft Trump” effort earlier that summer. Media outlets drooled over the possibility of a Trump candidacy, running a series of articles on whether the billionaire would throw his hat in the race. Trump fueled the “will he or won’t he” frenzy, taking out advertisements in newspapers across the country. The ads lambasted President Reagan’s negotiations with OPEC and Japan, stating, “There’s nothing wrong with America’s Foreign Defense Policy that a little backbone can’t cure.”.

In October, Trump flew his private helicopter to New Hampshire, disembarking and then taking a stretch limousine to the Portsmouth Rotary Club. Five hundred dedicated supporters applauded Trump as he laid out his foreign policy platform: “Whatever Japan wants, do the opposite.” Trump lampooned America’s diplomatic efforts and emphasized that America should tax trade with the Asian economic powerhouse, remarking, “The Japanese, when they negotiate with us, they have long faces. But when the negotiations are over, it is my belief—and I’ve never seen this—they laugh like hell.” Trump made similar comments about Kuwait and Saudi Arabia, asserting, “They’re ripping us off left and right.” Although Trump told the crowd that he would not seek the nomination, he remained in the public limelight. In November, perhaps taking advantage of the media hype, he released his best-selling The Art of The Deal, which Trump famously dubbed his “second favorite book”, (next to the Bible, of course).

Trump continued to promote his protectionist tariffs in the months to come. Appearing on the Oprah Winfrey Show in April 1988, Trump affirmed, “I’d make our allies pay their fair share. We’re a debtor nation … you can’t keep going on losing $200 billion.” In typical Trump fashion, the billionaire blustered, “I have tremendous respect for the Japanese people. I mean, you can respect somebody that’s beating the hell out of you.” When Oprah, whom Trump has frequently called his preferred vice-presidential running mate, asked whether Trump was interested in ever running for president, he demurred, “Probably not.” Trump smiled, then went on to clarify, “I do get tired of seeing the country get ripped off … I think I’d win. I’ll tell you what: I wouldn’t go into lose.”.

Switch

He switched parties, because Putin can control the Republicans easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrain  [View Original Post]

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC  [View Original Post]
    You calling Trump a liberal?

Quote Originally Posted by BigBossMan  [View Original Post]
    Has anyone figured out what tax year this new law will effect? In other words, if I refinance my mortgage before January 1 2018 will I be grandfathered in? I googled this every which way and cannot find the answer.
    Dude. There is no new tax law. There is only a feeble attempt at crafting one by the same bunch of merryandrews who failed at health care unreform. So if and when these jackoffs actually accomplish some legislation, I will be posting exactly how to manipulate it to a more liberal advantage, just like I did with the ACA and the Bush era temporary tax cuts.

Posting Limitations