Thread: Cost of living

+ Submit Report
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
This blog is moderated by Joe Hernandez

Taxi Fee Pick Up Charge Up 11%

Somebody needs to verify my numbers but I think the taxi pick up charge night time rate went from 13.70 pesos to 15.20 pesos yesterday. My ride to Hook went from 18 pesos average over the last two weeks to 22 pesos.

I remember last year I paid around $120 p for a baby turkey (pavito) and this year it was over $300 p. Only 4.5 kilos 68 pesos a kilo or there about.

Run away inflation

Bus fare almost doubled overnight. Today it cost nearly 30 cents to go from micro to Belgrano. Jackpot is going to be PISSED!

Inflation still going strong

Here's the latest on inflation in Argentina. Still going strong:

BUENOS AIRES (Dow Jones)--Argentina reported a steep rise in the November consumer price index, although the government figures continue to fuel scepticism among economists who say prices are actually rising at least twice the official rate.

Argentina's consumer price index in the capital Buenos Aires, used as a measure of nationwide inflation, jumped 0.7% on the month in November, bringing the rate over the past 12 months to 11%, the national statistics agency, Indec, reported Wednesday. Prices for clothing, appliances, medical care and food and drinks posted the largest gains.

Economists had expected the government to report 0.8% month-on-month inflation in November, which would have put the annual inflation rate at 11.1%, unchanged from October.

But estimates for the actual pace of price gains point to runaway inflation.

The credibility of Indec's inflation data has been called into question since former President Nestor Kirchner made personnel changes at the agency in 2007, which led to a sharp divergence between government data and private-sector estimates. The government of President Cristina Fernandez, Kirchner's wife, regularly denies charges that it manipulates Indec data.

Most private-sector economists say inflation is running well above 20% thanks to elevated government spending, hefty wage increases negotiated by unions amid an economic boom, and the central bank's decision to expand the money supply.

Local think tank Buenos Aires City--run by Indec's former CPI director, Graciela Bevacqua, who was purged by Kirchner--said in a report that consumer prices rose 1.3% in November, bringing the annual inflation rate to 25.6% due to rising prices for food and beverages.

Joaquin Ledesma & Asociados economic consultancy pegged the November price gain at 1.5% from October and 23% from a year earlier.

In a move interpreted as a concession to placate critics, the Fernandez administration last month invited the International Monetary Fund to help Indec build a nationwide consumer price index. An IMF technical mission has already met with Argentine officials to discuss the project.

However, the implementation of a national CPI is widely expected to be a drawn-out affair as the government is unlikely to make changes to the current Buenos Aires CPI to avoid legal problems. The government's inflation-linked bonds are indirectly linked to Indec's CPI and the chronic underreporting of inflation has short-changed investors, analysts say.

At the same time, the IMF will demand strong assurances about the integrity of the new CPI before putting its stamp of approval on the project.

"We do not expect to see major changes in inflation reporting in Argentina before the October 2011 elections," Goldman Sachs said in a note.

Quote Originally Posted by Artisttyp
    Interesting article about current food prices in argentina and around the world.

I had no idea it was so bad. http://www.yahoo.com/_ylt=AujQBuuju3...e/going_hungry
    Have a tough time having any sympathy for the Argentines and their inflationary food problems. Particularly like the item in the article about how the bean counters dictate production quotas and what can be produced and cannot be produced. The sector / government has put all their eggs all in one basket, soy, and their biggest customer and cash cow China has told Argentina to go pound sand. The Chinese have an embargo on Argentine soy because of their protectionist practices. The Argentines have a gazillion acres tied up in a commodity that has no market. These people could wreck a cannon ball. Argentina cannot feed itself? The wheels have fallen off the bus.

Retired Member

I was about to publish that article myself.

It's a good reason to over pay now and then.

Exon

Food Prices

Interesting article about current food prices in argentina and around the world.

I had no idea it was so bad. http://www.yahoo.com/_ylt=AujQBuuju3...e/going_hungry

Retired Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stinky Finger
    Mongers,

I will be in be's A's for a week and would like to know if 3,000 pesos is enough for my pussy allowance. Considering I have a 2,000 peso beer and food credit as well.

Do you know Joe Fernandez?
    With proper "Sperm Management" you should be fine. $ 3,000 peso's would equal 10 premium experiences. 15 sessions at Gysell's at her standard rate or if you go after 10 pm and ask for the "Winter Promotion" at $150 peso's you'd get 20 experiences.

Or in my case $3,000 peso's would buy me 30 premium "Hand Jobs"

Exon

Apartment short term 800 to 1200 dollar.

Eating out: In a shopping around 8 dollar, restaurant from 20 to 40 dollar a person.

Chicas: average price 150 peso a chica?

Coctails: Normally around 6 to 10 dollar.

Groceries: Around 200 to 300 dollar a month.

Health insurance in Argentina: 300 dollar a month?

Gym: 30 dollar a month.

Regular bills: If you rent a short term appartment all bills are included.

Public transport is cheap, probally around 50 dollar a month and if you take taxi's everywhere it would cost you from 500 to 800 dollar a month.

I would say atleast 2000 dollar and up to 3000/3500 dollar

Cost of Living for a Newby

Please excuse me in advance, as I am fairly new to the computer. I have visited BA on four previous occasions and I have fallen in love with the city and the people. I am recently retired and recently single and I would like to relocate to BA for a month or two as a test run for a more lengthly stay. As far as cost of living, can someone give me an estimate on the monthly cost of a micro-center (or in-town) apartment, eating out four or five times a week, four or five chicas a week, a few cocktails, health insurance, groceries, gym membership, regular bills, etc. (without a car) I know these are vague details, but I'm trying to get a basic idea on overall cost. Just a range, please. Though I'm not looking to live high-on-the-hog, I want to enjoy myself without pinching pennies.

This is a great site and an informative service. Thanks Jackson!

Thanks, Latuna

Same place:

Papas lays. Small bag 3,95

Papa Lays clasico big bag 6,09

Cheetos medium sized bad 4,29

Butter Serenisma 100gr 2,48

Chocalate cereal (sort of cornflakes) 4,44

Alfajores 4 pieces (I think) 8,49

Ham and cheese pizza McCain 20,49

4 cheeses pizza McCain 24,90

Speed 3,69

Ketchup Hellmann, small bottle 7,94

Liter of Milk 3,50

4 botles of 1,5 litre Coca 17,55

Cost of living

Do give you an indication of the prices at the supermarkets it might be a good idea to post some of your products you bought.

Today, lider express in San Telmo.

I went to Lider express in San Telmo. This is what I paid.

Coca 1,5 liter 4,39

Yogurt serenisma (0,20 cl) 2,49

Nivea soap 1,35

Deo Axe 7,96

Small marmenade 6,29

Speed (Local Red Bull) Can 3,29

Small bag of lays papas 3,95

Oranges per kilo 3,00

Posting Limitations