Thread: Racism in Argentina

+ Submit Report
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
This blog is moderated by Mmmconto1

Yes and no!

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung  [View Original Post]
    No you can't.
    It depends how you say it, when, to whom, in what part of a conversation etc.

Very complex! Advise: If you don't understand Argentinian culture don't say those words!

I can say to a girl the club "Dale boluda!" because I want a little discount, and it depends on the intonation of my voice and accentuation, if she goes out with me or send me to hell!

If I have a non porteno accent I shredded!

Of course!

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyRulz  [View Original Post]
    In my experience going back years most transactions with foreigners are viewed as a one time event and are seen as an opportunity to gouge. This is something many of us expats have commented on over the years. Apartments are a prime example. I could pay my landlord, in dollars, paid outside of Argentina and yet they don't want to rent to us and ALWAYS try and charge us 150-200% of what they would charge an Argentine.

Chicas are the same. I knew a guy that liked to put together more long time deals and it was almost always the same. A price was agreed on for a certain amount of days and times (he was always generous, most deals included a salary higher than a friend of mine that is a hospital doctor earns for 3 days a week with one overnight) and within two weeks the girl would try and double the price or cut the time in half. When he said no they would stop the deal rather than stick with what they had. The issue was always that they smelled more money.

Everywhere I go people try and charge me more because I'm an expat.
    Was you the one who called me "Boludo" because you learn that word somewhere but don't know how to use it?

Clarifing!

Quote Originally Posted by DavieW  [View Original Post]
    But the lack of respect thing is a whole other subject, and a proper can of worms! Having spent 7 years in Saudi and 6 years in Argentina I think I'm 'qualified' to make some comparisons and I'd say I'd trust a Saudi over an Argentinian in EVERY respect possible, in EVERY walk of life.

I could make a list of things that I find despicable in this culture that could go on forever, but racism isn't very high on that list (and that's the subject of this thread). The Argentinians don't have a very good history regarding the treatment of their indigenous people, but then nor does any other former colony of European origin. More important is how they treat them now and in my experience they have a lot more respect for them than they do of anyone who isn't Argentinian. Where you're getting the idea that foreigners are treated better I really can't fathom! In certain very specific situations maybe ie. If you're European / North American and trying to rent an apartment without a garantia, your chances are one in a thousand as opposed to zero. Besides these very specific finance related situations I've felt very much discriminated against for not being Argentinian in almost every aspect of life here.

Of course, we all have different life experiences. If you were lucky enough to find a partner here and put in the 10 years it takes to get accepted by her family / peer group, you probably think they're the warmest people on earth. But that's only because they look upon you as an honorary Argentinian!
    Davie, In Argentina we have tendency to trust Europeans than others because we are coming from there and we are familiar with them. You know...Soccer, religion, food, Latin base language, manners, etc.

It took me a long time in the US to get a "reputation" (although I am white Latino), because for the undereducated Latino means a race not a ethnicity!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Caricoso For This Post:

So this forum is about mongering?

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki  [View Original Post]
    LOL good one! It can be friendly, sometimes among friends they would call each other que borracho de mierda que sos. It is all about the tone that you use and the situation.
    I thought you say that this forum is mainly about mongering. ?

Where were you?

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre  [View Original Post]
    I know that they are not affectionate and I would never say them in an affectionate manner.

Can you go to jail for calling someone a:

Negro.

Indio.

Judio.

Etc,

DE MIERDA?

TL.
    Do you here the government, the media, or other institutions in Argentina classifying people by races? Black, Asian etc.?

Do you see at lot of racism in Argentina? Where exactly and what form?

You claim yourself being and Argentina (6 month old) and saying that Argentinians are racist, do you consider yourself a racist or you are an exception?

Neither one or another!

Quote Originally Posted by Dickhead  [View Original Post]
    So when an Argie calls someone 'negra mierda' that is just nationalism and not racism?
    You need to live in Argentina for a long time to understand what that means!

Sorry!

I know that they are not affectionate and I would never say them in an affectionate manner.

Negro.

Indio.

Judio.

Etc,

DE MIERDA?

TL.
    No you can't.

Negro.

Indio.

Judio.

Etc,

DE MIERDA?

TL.
    LOL good one! It can be friendly, sometimes among friends they would call each other que borracho de mierda que sos. It is all about the tone that you use and the situation.

I Know That!

Here is one interesting piece of slang: Cabeza I will write about it in the Spanish S.O.S thread just so I don't go off topic here.

Letñs just say that the addition of " cabeza " and " de mierda " is not affectionate.

Negro.

Indio.

Judio.

Etc,

DE MIERDA?

TL.

I remember telling the taxi driver that I was not "Negro" , "Gordo" , or "Flaco" one day!

The terms that they use down here are usually Affectionate by nature but when the context changes:

Negro de mierda. Can apply to a lily white Irishman if his actions or mentality are that of what they are being called.

Indio de mierda, etc. Cabeza!

Aqualung my old friend, is it true that you can be thrown in to jail for calling someone some of these things when they are not affectionate?

TL.

Tejano de Mierda!
    Here is one interesting piece of slang: Cabeza I will write about it in the Spanish S.O.S thread just so I don't go off topic here.

Letñs just say that the addition of " cabeza " and " de mierda " is not affectionate.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Nikki For This Post:

But you got me wrong Daddy. I said most foreigners get treated better, that doesn't mean they won't try to rip you off if they can, but the approach is more courteous, that is what I meant And it sucks! Some think that because you can't speak the language, fast enough or with enough slang, you are some kind of retard. I always enjoy the shocker effect when being out with an expat friend, talking in English, then when somebody tries to rip us off (I do not look very Argentine) I wait, and wait, and then kaboom look back at them and go " te pensas que somos dos boludas nosotras? " or " este precio es el normal o para idiotas " Then just walk away. They do get the worst out of me. Only walking hand in hand with an expat you realize that it is not just a spare event (the scam) it can get pretty massive, depending on where you are and what you are doing. Pretty sad indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyRulz  [View Original Post]
    In my experience going back years most transactions with foreigners are viewed as a one time event and are seen as an opportunity to gouge. This is something many of us expats have commented on over the years. Apartments are a prime example. I could pay my landlord, in dollars, paid outside of Argentina and yet they don't want to rent to us and ALWAYS try and charge us 150-200% of what they would charge an Argentine.

Chicas are the same. I knew a guy that liked to put together more long time deals and it was almost always the same. A price was agreed on for a certain amount of days and times (he was always generous, most deals included a salary higher than a friend of mine that is a hospital doctor earns for 3 days a week with one overnight) and within two weeks the girl would try and double the price or cut the time in half. When he said no they would stop the deal rather than stick with what they had. The issue was always that they smelled more money.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Nikki For This Post:

Affection and Hatred

That is the point, they get a kick out of name calling and at times it is also a way to show affection (calling somebody negrito, gordito, rusito, etc).

The gaucho wife is called china. That is a quechua dialect voice that means female.
    I remember telling the taxi driver that I was not "Negro" , "Gordo" , or "Flaco" one day!

The terms that they use down here are usually Affectionate by nature but when the context changes:

Negro de mierda. Can apply to a lily white Irishman if his actions or mentality are that of what they are being called.

Indio de mierda, etc. Cabeza!

Aqualung my old friend, is it true that you can be thrown in to jail for calling someone some of these things when they are not affectionate?

TL.

Tejano de Mierda!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TejanoLibre For This Post:

Oh honey I disagree

Most foreigners get treated better because yes, you are more likely to do the right thing, and also because they see a cow they can milk out of dollars.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daddy Rulz For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DavieW  [View Original Post]
    It's not a barrier for me. My Spanish was pretty good before I even got here.

And the only reason I made the comparison with Saudi is because that's a country world renowned for being xenophobic, distrusting and to not treat outsiders very well. In fact, I'd venture a guess that a lot of people would rate it as number 1 in the world for those traits. But only amongst those people who have never been to Argentina.

I'm sorry Nikki, but I can only speak from my own experience and I generally make friends pretty easily, but I can honestly say that I'm yet to meet a single Argentinian (outside of a few family members of a British friend who has been married to an Argentinian woman for 20 years) that I even like, let alone could trust. Paradoxically, that makes me the xenophobe, which I very much dislike, but for the sake of honesty I have to make that call! :
    That kinda sucks, again, sorry to hear you about your experience. Hope at least you are getting something out of this place that you like (even if it is just the chicas!) or a job, etc.

I think language is a very strong barrier..
    It's not a barrier for me. My Spanish was pretty good before I even got here.

And the only reason I made the comparison with Saudi is because that's a country world renowned for being xenophobic, distrusting and to not treat outsiders very well. In fact, I'd venture a guess that a lot of people would rate it as number 1 in the world for those traits. But only amongst those people who have never been to Argentina.

I'm sorry Nikki, but I can only speak from my own experience and I generally make friends pretty easily, but I can honestly say that I'm yet to meet a single Argentinian (outside of a few family members of a British friend who has been married to an Argentinian woman for 20 years) that I even like, let alone could trust. Paradoxically, that makes me the xenophobe, which I very much dislike, but for the sake of honesty I have to make that call! :

Posting Limitations