Thread: The bang for buck 2008 versus 2012

+ Submit Report
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
This blog is moderated by Member #3320
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf50  [View Original Post]
    If I was only coming here to monger or party, I would no longer come. I remember Round trip flights from the west coast on Taca for $450US! You could even get a overnight lay over (22 hours on the ground) in San Jose and enjoy the Ticas on he way down! Now its $1500 and more. Door to door travel was around 22 hours. (without the layover of course!) I could be in Japan faster! I can remember buying FIVE chicas drinks for a TOTAL of $100p (20p each) and having five girls competing for who would be the one to leave with me. Its not just the chica and drink pricing, its everything! Gas oil for my truck used to be 1. 19p, now its 6. 68p and still climbing! While there are still deals to be found, it just isn't the same. As some one said on another thread "The magic is gone!"
    So what are the options for the monger on budget.

Lesssss BANG!

If I was only coming here to monger or party, I would no longer come. I remember Round trip flights from the west coast on Taca for $450US! You could even get a overnight lay over (22 hours on the ground) in San Jose and enjoy the Ticas on he way down! Now its $1500 and more. Door to door travel was around 22 hours. (without the layover of course!) I could be in Japan faster! I can remember buying FIVE chicas drinks for a TOTAL of $100p (20p each) and having five girls competing for who would be the one to leave with me. Its not just the chica and drink pricing, its everything! Gas oil for my truck used to be 1. 19p, now its 6. 68p and still climbing! While there are still deals to be found, it just isn't the same. As some one said on another thread "The magic is gone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Member #3320  [View Original Post]
    Fred,

What are the possibilities of long term parking at EZE or AEP. Like 2-4 days.
    The max per day in terminal B or C parking is 80 pesos a day. More in Terminal A parking, I think 120? But you can find covered.

No problem to park for 4 days.

AEP is 80 peso max per day, 4 days no problem. Park in South parling, will be covered.

Fred

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver Star For This Post:

Couldn't resist

Quote Originally Posted by Gato Hunter  [View Original Post]
    From what I can remember.
    Which isn't much I wager. Sorry bubba couldn't help myself.

From what I can remember 2008 was a much better deal even with 2012 blue dollars.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gato Hunter For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jackpot  [View Original Post]
    Please save me some of the substance that got you to the ninth root and subtract one equation for calculating a compound dollar rate of inflation.

Jackpot
    I see I left a word out of the sentence. It should read: "the ninth root of this ratio." Sorry for any confusion this may have caused. I was pretty baked when I wrote it.

It is about 25% per year

Quote Originally Posted by Jackpot  [View Original Post]
    Please save me some of the substance that got you to the ninth root and subtract one equation for calculating a compound dollar rate of inflation.

Jackpot
    .9 to 6. 5 ninth root? I need to learn that one. Laughing my ass off

Save me some.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickhead  [View Original Post]
    Another thing you have to look at when considering inflation in food prices is how much smaller the portions have gotten over the last ten years. Some of that needed to happen, probably, but it's gotten out of control. Also, several of the things I commonly bought at the grocery store were downsized, such as the yogurt "potes" going from 200 ml to 190. They pull that shit in the US, too, of course.

Freddo is made with all local ingredients, so a "Freddo Index" would not be affected by the silly trade policies of CFK. In fact, since sugar is subsidized (I think, still) that might mute or mitigate some of the inflation in ice cream.

I could use an "alfajor index." In 2003 a Tri-Shot cost $0, 90. In 2012 it cost $5, 50. Respective NON black market exchange rates were 3, 25 and 4, 50. So that converts to 27. 69 cents and 122. 22 cents. Taking the ninth root of this and subtracting one, we get a compound dollar inflation rate of 17. 94% per annum. Obviously if you plug in a black market rate of say 6. 1:1, it changes things. That would give you a more modest 14. 02% rate. Still pretty fooken' high. And what percentage of visitors to Argentina are able and willing to avail themselves of the black market? For that matter, what percentage of ex-pats are even doing it?

Jackpot

I think we went off the topic

We started talking of groceries and parking fees.

I know pussy is more expensive than it was in 2003 or 2008.

But I feel that it was never better for the monger than now.

My take being, reduced expats, lesser sex tourists, reduced disposable income for Argentines and higher inflation leading to more prostitution.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Star  [View Original Post]
    In Dec 2008 parking at EZE airport was 8 pesos an hour@3. 45, now it is 20 pesos an hour@4. 60 or 6 depending on which exchange rate. Haircut was 15 and is now 45. So in these cases, even at blue rate, things are worse now, less bang for the buck.
    Fred,

What are the possibilities of long term parking at EZE or AEP. Like 2-4 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Esten  [View Original Post]
    2012 1 night@Black = $350
    Damn! That is 6 or 7 sessions at 300-400 ars per. And there is lots of chicas out there at those prices.

The recent Black discussion prompted me to pull up some numbers from past years, to compare with what I'd likely pay later this year. For a night at Black, including entrance fee / 1 drink, another drink for the chica, and a negotiated chica fee (in USD) :

2004 1 night@Black = $150
    2008 1 night@Black = $250
    2012 1 night@Black = $350

The inflation would have been worse without the better exchange rate. At the high end clubs, definately less bang for the buck. But as I said before it's all mental. If your income also went up a few thousand over the years, then "affordability" could still be comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by SunSeeker  [View Original Post]
    It has been so long since I used my ATM card that I forgot the pin when I had to go to canada a couple of weeks ago! I've only used the Cervino cueva since arriving in June. No way I will use the card here in BA. I see the prices in the supermarket going up almost daily.
    In Dec 2008 parking at EZE airport was 8 pesos an hour@3. 45, now it is 20 pesos an hour@4. 60 or 6 depending on which exchange rate. Haircut was 15 and is now 45. So in these cases, even at blue rate, things are worse now, less bang for the buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickhead  [View Original Post]
    And what percentage of visitors to Argentina are able and willing to avail themselves of the black market? For that matter, what percentage of ex-pats are even doing it?
    It has been so long since I used my ATM card that I forgot the pin when I had to go to canada a couple of weeks ago! I've only used the Cervino cueva since arriving in June. No way I will use the card here in BA. I see the prices in the supermarket going up almost daily.

Another thing you have to look at when considering inflation in food prices is how much smaller the portions have gotten over the last ten years. Some of that needed to happen, probably, but it's gotten out of control. Also, several of the things I commonly bought at the grocery store were downsized, such as the yogurt "potes" going from 200 ml to 190. They pull that shit in the US, too, of course.

Freddo is made with all local ingredients, so a "Freddo Index" would not be affected by the silly trade policies of CFK. In fact, since sugar is subsidized (I think, still) that might mute or mitigate some of the inflation in ice cream.

I could use an "alfajor index." In 2003 a Tri-Shot cost $0,90. In 2012 it cost $5,50. Respective NON black market exchange rates were 3,25 and 4,50. So that converts to 27.69 cents and 122.22 cents. Taking the ninth root of this and subtracting one, we get a compound dollar inflation rate of 17.94% per annum. Obviously if you plug in a black market rate of say 6.1:1, it changes things. That would give you a more modest 14.02% rate. Still pretty fooken' high. And what percentage of visitors to Argentina are able and willing to avail themselves of the black market? For that matter, what percentage of ex-pats are even doing it?

Posting Limitations