Thread: Corruption in Argentina

+ Submit Report
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
This blog is moderated by Jackson
    Administrator

Venues: 398
    Quote Originally Posted by Miami Bob
    Brazil changed their banking laws to ease mortgage forclosures ie you don't pay and you are thrown out of the house within six months. There are now mortgages avaiable in Brazil. The Argentine banking system is very, very difficult combined with peronists protections of squatters on land equals almost no mortages in Argentina [there are payment plans from developers and limited government programs]
    And as a direct result of the new forclosure laws, Brazil is now experiencing a building boom fueled by middle and lower class first-time buyers lining up to buy new homes with freely available mortages.

Go figure.

Thanks,

Jackson

Administrator

Venues: 398
    Quote Originally Posted by HairBalderman
    Who learned the best way to throw people from an airplane who weren't on a flight from Atlanta on Delta but who learned from the "flight" school of the Americas. Fala?
    HairBalderman,

Can you eloborate on your statement, because I'm not exactly sure what point you are trying to convey.

Thanks,

Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Go
    According to 2007 CIA Factbook:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2004rank.html

GDP pp in US dollars.

Qatar - 80,900 (#1)

USA - 45,800

Netherlands 38,500

UK 35,300 (#28 so a bit short of "the next to the highest per capital income in the world)

Falkland Islands 25,000 (#49 but 2002 numbers)

Chile 13,900

Argentina 13,300

Brazil 9,700

Angola 5,600

Congo 3,700

Zimbabwe 200

Of course, as been pointed out GDP per capita doesn't mean much when income is heavily skewed in places like Africa and South America. Also, these numbers are estimates.

As a surrogate for the economic life of the majority of people, I'm not sure it tells us much other than there are a lot of poor people in the world and that GDP differences between Chile, Argentina, and Brazil are not a fruitful area of discussion.
    My figures are from "The Economist" World figures bookle.

Argento

What it boils down to

Who learned the best way to throw people from an airplane who weren't on a flight from Atlanta on Delta but who learned from the "flight" school of the Americas. Fala?

Andres, there are differences between Brazil, Chile and Arg

Primarily in the ease of doing business, dumb regulation, the banking systems and ease of moving capital in and out.

I have a little story. One of my business adventures in Argentina involved becoming a North American distibutor for a popular Argenitne food product.

My partner with 30 years in the food business, takes samples to a number of supermarket groups with the intention of the Argentine line becoming a house brand. Every place loved the product and found the price aceptable, but did not want to do business with Argentina. Two groups actually asked me if we could truck the product to Chile and put a lable "from Chile" on the jars. When the Argentine producer would not work through Chile, two supermarkets would only take the products on consignment. This made it impossible to factor the debts and the Argentines could not borrow against the consigned good and eventually killed any chance of being in major supermarket groups.

Even little Uruguay exports more beef than Argentina.

Brazil changed their banking laws to ease mortgage forclosures ie you don't pay and you are thrown out of the house within six months. There are now mortgages avaiable in Brazil. The Argentine banking system is very, very difficult combined with peronists protections of squatters on land equals almost no mortages in Argentina[there are payment plans from developers and limited government programs]

According to 2007 CIA Factbook:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2004rank.html

GDP pp in US dollars.

Qatar - 80,900 (#1)

USA - 45,800

Netherlands 38,500

UK 35,300 (#28 so a bit short of "the next to the highest per capital income in the world)

Falkland Islands 25,000 (#49 but 2002 numbers)

Chile 13,900

Argentina 13,300

Brazil 9,700

Angola 5,600

Congo 3,700

Zimbabwe 200

Of course, as been pointed out GDP per capita doesn't mean much when income is heavily skewed in places like Africa and South America. Also, these numbers are estimates.

As a surrogate for the economic life of the majority of people, I'm not sure it tells us much other than there are a lot of poor people in the world and that GDP differences between Chile, Argentina, and Brazil are not a fruitful area of discussion.

A matter of national pride? Asserting sovereignty over some desolate islands in the middle of nowhere with negative economic value that have only brought pain and suffering to the people of Argentina? That's really messed up.

Maybe, but please anwer my question.

Quote Originally Posted by Andres
    I don't see many great differences among these 3 countries. To a higher or lesser degree, all these economies are mainly private-sector based with a few strategic companies on the public sector, with a GDP midway to those of the poor African nations and those of Western European countries.

Andres
    Oooooooooooh! I know that's not right. Poor African nations have a GDP per capita of U$500 -U$1000 pa. The Latin American countries have about U$7000. Western Europeans about U$45000. Midway is therefore about U$22000 and Argentina is a longway from the midway point.

But please answer my questions relating to the Falklands / Malvinas.

Argento

Quote Originally Posted by Miami Bob
    Andres, I try to understand why Chile and Brazil are moving towards a more of "modern"economy[eeuu / western european type model] and Argentinia is floating somewhere off to the side. What is the historical or cultural basis for this?
    I don't see many great differences among these 3 countries. To a higher or lesser degree, all these economies are mainly private-sector based with a few strategic companies on the public sector, with a GDP midway to those of the poor African nations and those of Western European countries.

Andres

I can't believe you guys are pissing and moaning about these islands. After visiting them, it's hard to believe that anybody considers them a "prize" to be won. The only reason the residents enjoy the things that Argento lists is because the UK and EU government pump huge amounts of money into the islands. If Argentina gained control, that would stop, the fishery license fees that are the largest part of the government income would get redirected to the mainland, employment would disappear, and the place would turn into an economic disaster area.

The best thing for the islanders is to remain a disputed territory between Argentina and the UK. If there was no dispute, the UK would not feel a pressing need to keep sending money to the islands so Argentina is doing a great service to the islanders to keep making noises without any real change.

Of course, the rational thing would be to abandon the islands as economic sinkholes and move everybody (except the 20% of the workforce that comes from Chile) to an island that's part of the motherland (I hear Scotland has some with equally horrible weather and economic opportunity) Argentina could then claim the islands and, instead of settling them, declare them nature sanctuaries and open them only to scientific research. Of course, the islanders wouldn't go for it because they have a sweet deal going now.
    The islands are more of a national pride issue than anything else. Just transportation by itself would be very expensive, not to mention the premium claimed by the unavoidably complex supply chain.

Anyone having visited Tierra del Fuego can say that many vegetables and other goods brought from the continent cost much more than in Buenos Aires.

Oil looks promising, but the UK would find it difficult to convince investors given that is a conflictive zone.

Andres

I figured someone would bring up oil. Note the date. As far as I can tell, the only activity is talk. Given the aggressiveness of oil companies and the zillions of dollars that can be made from a huge new discovery, what's that tell you about the reality? Just another red herring designed to make the islands look like they are worth the money they are costing the British taxpayer.

Not any more brother

I can't believe you guys are pissing and moaning about these islands. After visiting them, it's hard to believe that anybody considers them a "prize" to be won. The only reason the residents enjoy the things that Argento lists is because the UK and EU government pump huge amounts of money into the islands. If Argentina gained control, that would stop, the fishery license fees that are the largest part of the government income would get redirected to the mainland, employment would disappear, and the place would turn into an economic disaster area.

The best thing for the islanders is to remain a disputed territory between Argentina and the UK. If there was no dispute, the UK would not feel a pressing need to keep sending money to the islands so Argentina is doing a great service to the islanders to keep making noises without any real change.

Of course, the rational thing would be to abandon the islands as economic sinkholes and move everybody (except the 20% of the workforce that comes from Chile) to an island that's part of the motherland (I hear Scotland has some with equally horrible weather and economic opportunity) Argentina could then claim the islands and, instead of settling them, declare them nature sanctuaries and open them only to scientific research. Of course, the islanders wouldn't go for it because they have a sweet deal going now.
    http://www.spiegel.de/international/...334165,00.html

Maybe they have WMDs as well.

Andres, another question!

Sure, everybody can claim anything, but the fact is that Argentina IS claiming and that the UN Decolonization Committee took the case and considered it. Also, the UN submits to vote the Malvinas case every year, and every year Argentina's position is supported by 160-180 states and a few against (the Commonwealth ones, mainly) so a big part of the "diplomatic" fight was already won.

Will the island come back to national control? Maybe, maybe not. Time will say.

Andres
    The islands have never been under national control so how can they come back? But the English settled it before people from the River Plate. Shouldn't they have precedence. And think of those that live there now. What attractions do you think they would find being part of Argentina?

At they moment they have next to the highest per capita income in the world, political freedom, a great education system, a concerted and a set of possible goals for the future, (and I hate to tell you, it doesn't include Argentina) no corruption and almost no crime. Versus what?

Since you are the Mary Poppins of the good in Argentina, perhaps you could tell us what the Argentines offer the Falkland Islanders. I guess apart from a currish attitude to flights between Argentina and the Islands, no flights allowed and no trade either. Absolutely zilch. Great way to build confidence between neighbours, especially when you are Argentina and are trying to get into the Falkland Island's knickers again. You have already raped them once, so my guess is you need to kiss and cuddle if you want even a slight chance. But please answer my question above.

Argento

Will the island come back to national control? Maybe, maybe not. Time will say.

Andres
    NOT IN THE NEXT 1000 YEARS!

Posting Limitations