Thread: Spanish Phrases

+ Submit Report
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Sporadic, it's true, Spaniards use "coger" the way Argentinians use "agarrar"...sort of an all purpose word like we use "catch"...as in "Voy a coger el omnibus" or "Voy a coger una pelicula" or "Te cogo luego"...as in "I'll catch you later".

Reason I know this is I learned most of my Spanish basics one summer, studying for 8 weeks in Madrid and I heard these things on a daily basis. And now I live in one of the most concentrated Spanish-speaking areas in the USA so I hear these differences all the time. Hope this helps, DownBA

I have never heard Madrileños use "coger" like that, but I suppose it could happen. More common would be "veremos" (we will see you) or possibly "te recogeremos" (we will pick you up) but I doubt anyone would say this to a hotel receptionist.

Dickhead mentioned Joder, a wonderful, all-around F*ck replacement in Spain. Not very polite but very commonly used.

What you never here is "chingar" unless someone is imitating a Mexican, complete to accent.

And I used to marvel at the various forms of use in English.

Cheers,

Sporadic

Nos veremos luego, y no quiero ponerme cachondo con Uds. Mejor con las damas de la noche.

About this "coger" thing, to illustrate the point, a few years ago I was staying down the road from Estilo Nuevo Boliche, the year I discovered it for Dickhead and the rest of the BA mongers (I have to take the credit and if you look at all the NEB posts you'll see that my posts pre-date all others on this fine establishment), and I was talking about the differences in "coger" around the Spanish speaking world with the cutest little portena receptionist who told me the following story: one week there was a family from Madrid - where they use coger daily as an all purpose word, for instance "I'll catch you later" would be "Te cogo luego" - staying in the hotel and every day as they walked by reception they'd look at her and say "chau, te cogemos luego" whereupon the receptionist said she politely smiled and waved while she began to cringe inside!!!

Les cogo luego todos los cachondos que visitan a BA! Chau, DownBA

Here's one of my favorites:

"partuza" means gang-bang or orgy in Buenos Aires. It's sometimes used, in a crude way, to mean a really crazy party or fun time.

One who throws a partuza is a "partuzero".

Well, it means FUCK so it is impolite in regular conversation but if your chica is saying COgeme she is probably not Porteña and if she is saying coGEme she probably is!

In Spain they use the verb coger to mean to grab a hold of something. Here they use "agarrar" for that.

Here if someone is "fucking with you" or "jerking you around" they may use the verb joder, which is used to mean FUCK in some parts of México and also used by Chicanos or whatever the politically correct term these days is, in New Mexico. Other places in México are more likely to use the verb chingar for FUCK.

At least that's been my experience.

Andres or DH, is the verb "coger" to be avoided in Argentina? Thanks!

Stormy
    she did not use the verb "chupar" but did it admirably
    You may have discovered the true essence of effective communications here mate. Who cares how they say it, as long as it is well done!

This is great stuff, guys. I'm studying spanish here in the US (with a cute portena tutor, no less) so I'll try "dale" and some of the tamer words on her. She already knows that I love BA. Since I'm in California, she doesn't use the Argentine accent (more of a mexican influence here) but I'm going to ask her to change that. I like hearing it, and I understand it as well as the softer mexican and central american accent.

Any other dichos that you can pass on would be appreciated.

Thanks Andres, I think you are right. And thanks to Dickhead for pointing out my proclivity for fucking senior citizens, being a senior citizen myself. The ex-favorita was only 27, but had been in the business a long time, so one could also say that her concha is very senior (grande) as well. She did use the term "h o m b r e grande" to refer to men of my certain age. She also pronounced the word pija as pica and "beso
    pica" was a blow job, she did not use the verb "chupar" but did it admirably.

"Mi concha es grande"

I guess that she meant "my pussy is roomy" (that she can handle almost anything).

--------------------

"Pendejo/a'

Strictly speaking, in Argentina pendejo means pubic hair. Since pubic hair is small, it is also used to refer young people.

--------------------

Pendejada

It usually menas "childish issues". "Está hablando pendejadas" = he/she is speaking childish issues/stupid things.

Hope this helps,

Andres

My Oxford dictionary defines "pendejo/a" as "dumb" or "dummy." It is also used often to mean "bullshit." For ex., "Esta hablando pendajas!" I don't think I'd use it to refer to a young girl.

Yes, my British dictionary translates "pija" as spoiled or "posh." Grande sometimes means old or older person such as "mujer grande" and since I know Stormy likes to fuck senior citizens that is probably what she meant.

We've had this discussion before, but the pronunciation of many words seems to be a class issue. I'm pretty sure a lot of these girls are saying pita and not pija, just like they say sepso instead of sexo and choncha instead of concha. I just talked to the doorman in my building about pussy and he says pita, or other times it seems to come out sounding almost like pica.

Another word they use differently is pendeja. Here it just means a young girl like 14 or 15 whereas in México it is an insult. My dictionary translates it as "coward" but I have never heard it used in that context.

Andres

An ex-favorita used to say "Mi concha is grande." Which literally is "my pussy is big" but it was stated as an idiom and didn't exactly make sense. What does it mean?

This is getting interesting; in Spain "pito" is sometimes used to describe the penis when addressing young children, or a whistle, or even a cigarette. "Pija" is a stuck up rich girl, like wise "pijo" for being or acting like a stuck-up rich person in general.

Now if that does not muddy the waters, nothing will.

- Concha is also used to say things like "holy sh*t" (e.g., "La concha de la lora!")

- It's not "pita", is "pija". Pita is a kind of Arab bread.

Hope this helps,

Andres

Posting Limitations