Thread: El Alamo

+ Submit Report
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
This blog is moderated by Jackson

Ladies night

I saw in an advert that Wednesday is "Ladies Night". Has that been a pull for the ladies? I'll add my 2 cents on El Alamo. I ventured in right off the plane from the states, met Peter, and briefly Jackson and Capt. Dave on their way out. They turned me on to this board, and a better thing could not have happened to me. Even if the place never turns into a chica playground it will still be a huge plus. It may not be everybody's cupatea, but it's on my regular schedule. Plus, Exedra ain't far away.

Salute,

The dog

Smile Recommended

As a Brit who knows nothing about American Football I snuck into El Alamo on Sunday, to see for myself how you yanks enjoy your football.

I met a few faces from previous trips, and some new ones. I think (as a non yank) you have a great place to hang with fellow country men and the odd Brit!

On Tuesday me and a friend got caught in that rain around 6 oclock, so being near El Alamo, I suggested we had a beer in there and he could see El Alamo for the 1st time.

As we entered Peter greeted us as old friends, which personally I think is a nice touch. He told us the 2 girls at the front where available, unfortunately 1 girl was a 6/7 and 23 the other was a 4 and 36, so me and my friend where interested in the same girl. Me being of a kind nature took a backward step and let my amigo do the running for the youngster.

She sat with the 2 of us and within the time it took to drink a coffee the deal was sealed and off they went.

If Peter can attract more girls of this stature, I think El Alamo will soon be on the Mongers to visit List.

FH

Retired Member

Angry

In my post below, I Forgot to mention the free computers which everyone uses.

The CockSuckers

Thumbs up Well said, Hunt

I couldn't agree more -- I get to the Alamo perhaps a couple of times a month just for a nice break, talking to Nick or Sergei, the bartenders, and with other folks just hanging out. I've always had a pleasant experience and enjoyed the place; and the Thanksgiving dinner was simply an incredibly great gesture on Peter's part. No complaints from me, only compliments and thanks to Peter and his staff!

Fred88/ Peter in Martinez

Amp,

You echo my feelings exactly. The owner, Peter, is a great guy who has done some wonderful stuff for the mongering community. Food is food, but when you visit El Alamo, you know you are giving business to friends, which I like very much.

Thumbs up El Alamo is GREAT

I just got back from spending a month in Argentina. I visited The Alamo a few times. I will say this. Every time I went their I loved the food. I loved the atmosphere, and the staff was great. I forget what me and my date ate the first times their but the last time I had the lomo. The Lomo was great. This restaurant is on my top 10 list of favorite restaurants in Buenos Aires. Not only was the food great, but the staff was very friendly. And as for the prices. NOT BAD. EVERYONE SHOULD VISIT THE ALAMO!

Exon

I have not been to El Alamo, but I commned you for calling out whiners who feel compelled to nit pick and then argue about it. I have no problem with facutal info. But the TONE of some is mind boggling.

That's the problem with forums. Everyone suddenly feels empowered and somewhat obligated to shepard the masses.

If you like it - go.

If not - don't.

It's obvious there are those on both sides. THATS LIFE!

Everything Exon just said, but more polite - I think as well.

I'm totally new here so I don't really even understand the history on this or want to spend the time reading it.

All I'll say as a new guy is that in the time I've been in BA, I've very much enjoyed taking a break from all things Argentina that I so far find wonderful but need a little time here and there just hanging out at El Alamo for the company, both employees who work there and fellow travelers I've met, and the bit of Americana in watching the NFL games.

Advertised or not, subtle or outright, I don't particuarly care. None of us are children (I assume) so make up your own mind and let other's do the same. A deal is a good deal as long as both parties think it is, so if you don't think it is for you, fine. But that doesn't mean you have to shout down the ones who think it is.

Retired Member

Checkmark

I'd like to Add too Jackson's comments regarding El Alamo & Peter.

Number One: I'd like to remind the criitic's of El Alamo that Peter hosted a beautiful Thanks Giving dinner for all Forum Monger's "Free" of charge, No one paid Anything, some 55 guy's. Peter paid for the whole thing including wine & booze this out of his own pocket and only about 10 people even posted a "Thank You" Peter. I'm also willing to bet that not one of thease CockSuckers in their wildest dreams would ever entertain a thought as generous as that, ever. "Classless Mother Fucking CockSuckers", that were raised in a barn and it shows with their posts.

Number Two: Moreover, Peter has built "US" somewhat of a "Club House" where we're always welcome, can all Meet and or "Hook Up", speak "Our language", Watch major American Sporting Events and all for the price of a beer and no one seams to appreciate it. Where the Fuck else in Buenos Aires can you do that? Yet We've got Assholes posting complaints from the like's of, the TV screens are to small, "my service was slow", "I didn't Like my food", Ect, Ect. Thease ungrateful CockSuckers have nothing better to post other than to Malign, Be little and Demean Peter, his business and his efforts.

Now I believe theres something Basicly wrong with that.

Exon

Administrator

Venues: 398

El Alamo Banner

Greetings everyone,

Once again, the El Alamo thread has veered away from its intended purpose of being a place to discuss the merits of the restaurant and has instead descended into a scene reminiscent of a school playground, this time apparently due to my decision to add an "El Alamo" banner to my website.

My decision to design and post an El Alamo banner to my website was entirely mine, and was made without consultation with or compensation from Peter, the owner of El Alamo. I designed and posted the banner for a very simple reason: I like El Alamo. I like the location, I like the decor and I like the sports programs. I also like the people that work there and I like the people that patronize the place. No, I don't find the food to be exceptionally remarkable, although I do like the American-style breakfast, and in my limited opinion the chicken wings are the best I've had IN BUENOS AIRES.

Nevertheless, no restaurant can possibly meet the expectations of 100% of it's potential customers. To those of you who for one reason or another may choose not to patronize El Alamo, I respect your decision. Nevertheless, there's no reason to repeatedly post and re-post your criticisms. If the place doesn't appeal to you, then I would suggest that you might consider directing your energies towards promoting another of Buenos Aires's many fine eating and drinking establishments.

Thanks,

Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Moore
    I'm glad to see that there is finally a graphic advertisement for El Alamo on this forum, and I wish El Alamo all the best. At least now, newcomers will know to evaluate "independent" comments on this thread just as they would evaluate comments from anyone else making a sales pitch to them. Fortunately, the sales pitch is now overt and not "subliminal"!
    Since you apparently begrudge Jackson for making some advertising revenue to recoup some of his (substantial) costs in hosting this forum, I am sure you will be sending a voluntary contribution to him so he doesn't need the advertising revenue.

Please tell us all how much you're contributing, and if you need the address for the place to which you can send your check, let me know by PM and I will be happy to provide it to you.

Stopped by on Sunday to watch a couple NFL games and happened to run into the board owner, Jackson.

Nice chat and very friendly.

El Alamo itself is a nice hangout for watching games and when talking full speed english is a nice break from trying to constantly learn my spanish skills.

I stopped in the other night for the first time, and it seemed like a nice place. It was during the Redskin / TB game, and there were some enthusiastic expats there. Pricing seemed good, and I could see myself dropping by here from time to time.

Super Bowl?

Did some one say that? I'm arriving on 2/5 and hope there is a Super bowl party. Can the regulares allow a newby to Ba to join the party?

I'm arrivng at 10: AM, first time and can use the advise.

Thanks,

Belmont Too

JoeNasty,

OK Ive never waited 2.5 hours but very recently (New Years Eve) I was at a place where I waited 20 minutes for another beer. And this place, located in Recoleta Village, was full but not overloaded. Common sense would tell you to have a couple extra servers / staff working that shift since you know that the extra demand will be there. But here you don't think like that - you don't prepare or organize in advance knowing full well that you will have a clusterfuck as a result. And make the same exact lazy "mistake" next time.

Posting Limitations