This blog is moderated by El Caballero

Punter or Monger

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Walleye
    The prevailing nomenclature or vernacular in the UK for a monger is "punter." While still being a pejorative term, it is a little more polite than the aforementioned term. This idiomatic expression can also refer to a gambler, speculator, beginner (as in rookie-type) or other form of dolt.

There is a monger herein that contains this term within his moniker.
    Near enough WW. As we know in this sport of ours (punting) even with the help of boards like this, there is a huge element of chance and unpredictability involved. It seems to me that punter (I. E gambler or speculator, naive customer) is a much better term than monger. The most popular UK prostitute reviewing board is www.Punternet.co.uk.

By the way Hotman, I have never once heard anyone use the rather ugly term "c**t-hunter".

Pc

Pussy Connoisseur.

It's the only time I wanted to be PC my entire life;-)

Sysco

Monger

Strictly speaking monger means a seller of certain goods. Hardware sellers were ironmongers, fresh fish shopkeepers were and are fishmongers and the boss of a brothel was a whoremonger. People who told tales were gossip-mongers. So rather than being the sellers of poon tang, we are instead the buyers, but as Shakespeare wrote, 'A rose by any other name still smells as sweet'.

Argento

UK term

Quote Originally Posted by Hotman 666
    An alliterative phrase sometimes used in U. K. Is C#nt Hunter. This may be seen by many as rather crude but how about "Pussy Pursuers?" or, more relevant to S. America, "Chica Chasers!"

Regards,

Hotman
    The prevailing nomenclature or vernacular in the UK for a monger is "punter." While still being a pejorative term, it is a little more polite than the aforementioned term. This idiomatic expression can also refer to a gambler, speculator, beginner (as in rookie-type) or other form of dolt.

There is a monger herein that contains this term within his moniker.

MONGERS! (Alternatives)

An alliterative phrase sometimes used in U. K. Is C#nt Hunter. This may be seen by many as rather crude but how about "Pussy Pursuers?" or, more relevant to S. America, "Chica Chasers!"

Regards,

Hotman

I guess I missed my own most obvious conclusion:

Quote Originally Posted by Big Travel Guy
    the word "whoremonger", defined in various dictionaries as synonymous with "whoremaster".
    So, then, we could start calling ourselves "masters"!

Silly.

Makes me think of some 17th century Dutch guy doing a painting. Although, I bet those guys got a lot of pussy, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Brown
    Interesting thought. This did occur to me too. I prefer the moniker " Connoisseur d'amor" or "Un Querido". Its true, "Monger" reminds one of the word "Mongrel", a half bred cur belonging to the bottom of the pecking order in all of natures creations, not the polished urbanites we all profess (and occasionally believe! To be.

Ken
    "Querido" comes closest to "one who is loved". Or "mi querido," which means "the one I want," or loosely "my love".

It might be better to use "queriendo," or "querendo," which comes closer to meaning "the one who wants" or "the one who loves".

The American Heritage Dictionary (New College Edition, 1975) defined "monger" as (1) a dealer in a specific commodity (such as "ironmonger"); (2) a person promoting something undesirable (such as "warmonger") And yes, "whoremonger" is defined as "a fornicator"; whoremaster as "one who consorts with whores; a fornicator".

Our hobby is not well-regarded in "polite society." Are we surprised? Then how can we be surprised that the labels for our hobby are, shall we say, less than compliments? "Polite society" would properly see us married-off, and suffering the slings and arrows of the matrimonial condition; or seeking a mate to marry, and suffering THOSE slings and arrows.

I, for one, would rather buy the milk than buy and keep the cow. I'm not offended to call myself a "monger," even if it does sound like "mongrel." There are young ladies' mothers, no doubt, who regard me as a "cur" because I don't come tipping my hat to them and cravenly craving the privilege of courting their overweight, over-"privileged," self-important daughters. (But yeah, "sport-fucker" is a more pleasant if "obscene" term!)

I love my sports. I second Jackson.

Re: Monger

Interesting thought. This did occur to me too. I prefer the moniker " Connoisseur d'amor" or "Un Querido". Its true, "Monger" reminds one of the word "Mongrel", a half bred cur belonging to the bottom of the pecking order in all of natures creations, not the polished urbanites we all profess (and occasionally believe! To be.

Ken

Administrator

Venues: 398

I personally prefer the terms "sport fucking" and "sport fucker".

By strict definition.

Oh, you know, this is pretty harmless. I agree that one can find definitions of "monger" that don't sound so great, like this from Merriam Websters dictionary: "A person who attempts to spread or stir up something, that is usually pretty discreditable--usually used in combination <war-monger>"

But its common use by those of us who "practice the hobby" is as an abbreviated version of the word "whoremonger", defined in various dictionaries as synonymous with "whoremaster".

And "whoremaster", as per yourdictionary.com, is defined as: " (Archaic) a man who has sexual intercourse or associates with whores".

Who can argue?

MONGERS! Really? Can't we find a better monicker than that?

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I try to be a gentleman, and I may visit a massage with happy ending, and maybe more, but it is just a way of having a date that you know will finish the way you'd like.

Why Monger? That is a name like we are attacking them. Shoot, we are just having a relationship with them that deals with money.

If you have a wife or girlfriend, most likely your relationship also often revolves around money. So ya know, we aren't some dark, evil guys. So can't we find a better monicker (name) for us?

Posting Limitations