Thread: USA & World Economics

+ Submit Report
Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Good logic

Quote Originally Posted by Dickhead  [View Original Post]
    Rich kids and poor kids in rich schools and in poor schools have carried out these massacres and the distinguishing factor is always GUNS. Access to guns, fascination with guns, and then inappropriate use of guns. Anyone who cannot see that guns are the main problem, is part of the problem. Perhaps there is an appropriate use of guns. I just have never seen or known one. That has led me to conclude that since people seem unable to use guns appropriately, it would be appropriate to restrict people's use of guns. Fucking shoot me if you don't agree.
    And while we are at it, let's do away with vehicles, alcoholic beverages, and the list goes on and on because we all know of the gross misuse. Let us not forget the big picture. GUNS ARE TOOLS OF FREEDOM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tres3  [View Original Post]
    we do not see Europe, or any true democracy where there is some modicum of income distribution, going through as much turmoil, because the young men of those countries (albeit many are unemployed) still hold out some hope, have an economic safety net, and still believe in the rule of law. Tres3
    I believe you up until the bolded point. If you look at Europe over time, the rule of law has been the exception and not the rule, and so that gets us back to the economic safety net. At the end of the day, a society is going to be judged on how it treats its weakest members. A small minority of selfish, extremist cocksuckers will always disagree, and that is what is so great about free elections. Eventually these selfish cocksuckers are shown for the extremist minority they truly are.

Rich kids and poor kids in rich schools and in poor schools have carried out these massacres and the distinguishing factor is always GUNS. Access to guns, fascination with guns, and then inappropriate use of guns. Anyone who cannot see that guns are the main problem, is part of the problem. Perhaps there is an appropriate use of guns. I just have never seen or known one. That has led me to conclude that since people seem unable to use guns appropriately, it would be appropriate to restrict people's use of guns. Fucking shoot me if you don't agree.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dickhead For This Post:

Two Separate Things

I am not so sure. A lot of these mass shooters were unemployed but even more were employed in menial jobs or careers. But if it is related to unemployment, why don't we see this shit in Europe (historically about twice the level of unemployment) or Latin America (historically about four times the level of unemployment)?

100% of all shootings involve guns so guns just possibly are part of the problem. Maybe.
    I agree that guns, too many of them and too easy to get, are the main cause of the mass killings. This is coming from a person who owns more than ten guns, but, with the exception of an inherited revolver, they are all hunting rifles and shotguns. Granted that they can easily kill a human, but they were not intended for human death like an assault weapon. The NRA and other people can say what they want to try and convince the world that an assault weapon is nothing more than a sophisticated hunting weapon, but only the truly stupid believe that nonsense. However, unless the USA Constitution is amended, every type of firearm will be, and should be, lawfully sold in the USA. That is my two cents worth on that subject.

HOWEVER, my previous post was not attempting to address the mass killings, and I apologize for any misunderstanding. It attempted to address the turmoil that we see all over the world. I offer my speculation that we do not see Europe, or any true democracy where there is some modicum of income distribution, going through as much turmoil, because the young men of those countries (albeit many are unemployed) still hold out some hope, have an economic safety net, and still believe in the rule of law. Since WWII, we have seen numerous different guerrilla movements, coups, and fallen dictatorships throughout Latin America, so that part of the world is not immune to disaffection with government or the military.

Tres3

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tres3 For This Post:

I am not so sure. A lot of these mass shooters were unemployed but even more were employed in menial jobs or careers. But if it is related to unemployment, why don't we see this shit in Europe (historically about twice the level of unemployment) or Latin America (historically about four times the level of unemployment)?

100% of all shootings involve guns so guns just possibly are part of the problem. Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tres3  [View Original Post]
    I would add unemployed (that may be a cause of the disaffection) to DB's analysis. If they have no job, they have plenty of time on their hands to think of, and do, all the nefarious things that idle minds dream of. Before the atomic bomb, society took care of many of the disaffected, alienated, and unemployed young men by killing of them in major wars. I make no pretense of knowing how civil society is going to deal with them now that the world no longer has major wars, and modern medicine practices death control while religions fight and cultures fight birth control. Just look at who you see on each edition of the nightly news fomenting revolution, civil war, terrorism, insurrection, etc. The nationality may be different, but the young man aspect is the same. My two cents worth.

Tres3
    Righto. As good ol' Dr. Freud noted, working is very important.

Add Unemployed

Quote Originally Posted by Doggboy  [View Original Post]
    Disaffected and severely alienated young men.
    I would add unemployed (that may be a cause of the disaffection) to DB's analysis. If they have no job, they have plenty of time on their hands to think of, and do, all the nefarious things that idle minds dream of. Before the atomic bomb, society took care of many of the disaffected, alienated, and unemployed young men by killing of them in major wars. I make no pretense of knowing how civil society is going to deal with them now that the world no longer has major wars, and modern medicine practices death control while religions fight and cultures fight birth control. Just look at who you see on each edition of the nightly news fomenting revolution, civil war, terrorism, insurrection, etc. The nationality may be different, but the young man aspect is the same. My two cents worth.

Tres3

Best post of 2012, IMHO!

Disaffected and severely alienated young men. Which is bad enough, in and of itself, made so much worse by a culture (and in many respects a world) that celebrates, via an increasingly omnipresent mass media- physical appeal and "success" in its many forms. Add in an underlying, if not often very overt, damning of those who don't measure up. A damning by peers and much of the culture at large. Take your alienated young man who harbors extreme rage, add in a heightened level of narcissism and desire to "make a mark" and you have the formula for a problem.

In the states they get a gun. In other parts of the world they strap on a vest loaded with explosives. Kill yourself and take others with you. Two peas in the same pod.
    To BlackShirt, all things are political in nature, especially anything that can be interpreted leaning toward the left. Your post is spot on from where I am sitting. Very well thought out and intuitive. You must be a pro, of sorts. Well done. Happy mongering all. Toymann

Quote Originally Posted by Black Shirt  [View Original Post]
    So now, the question is why are we leading the world in these categories. Is it because of ifestyles, culture, economics?
    Disaffected and severely alienated young men. Which is bad enough, in and of itself, made so much worse by a culture (and in many respects a world) that celebrates, via an increasingly omnipresent mass media- physical appeal and "success" in its many forms. Add in an underlying, if not often very overt, damning of those who don't measure up. A damning by peers and much of the culture at large. Take your alienated young man who harbors extreme rage, add in a heightened level of narcissism and desire to "make a mark" and you have the formula for a problem.

In the states they get a gun. In other parts of the world they strap on a vest loaded with explosives. Kill yourself and take others with you. Two peas in the same pod.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to El Perro For This Post:

So that is a start

There seems to be some confusion about the phrases "the facts" versus "some website." I have news for you: everything you read on the internet is not true. In fact the website you link to used to be run by a bunch of lawyers. I guess the main one is dead now, though. So that is a start.
    What is that? A threat? LOL.

I can't believe that you are wishing for the death of yours truly.

With all due respect, may I ask that you express yourself more clearly?

That would be a start.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Gauntlet77 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Black Shirt  [View Original Post]
    Thanks for linking this school shooting to the other cases, and highlighting our over-medicated society. You are a very knowlegable guy. So now, the question is why are we leading the world in these categories. Is it because of ifestyles, culture, economics?
    Beats me, I am just a Canadian observer. It's your country, perhaps you have an explanation?

I loathe 1. Big Pharma and I loathe 2. Bloodsucking manipulative lawyers. The SSRI debate has been going on for years and there has been no convincing evidence (untainted by someone's agenda-see #s 1. And 2.) that I have seen that has led me to believe that SSRIs play any significant role whatsoever in suicides / homicides.

I don't prescribe meds as I ain't allowed. And yes, there is IMHO a huge over prescribing of meds in the states (and I am sure elsewhere) for all kinds of ailments, both real and imagined (to both kids and adults). Its a huge, confusing landscape made tremendously more murkier by the perverse efforts of #s 1. And #2.

My 2 cents.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to El Perro For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlet77  [View Original Post]
    Http://ssristories.com/index.php?p=school

Trust you haven't been involved in prescribing these "meds", especially to kids.
    There seems to be some confusion about the phrases "the facts" versus "some website." I have news for you: everything you read on the internet is not true. In fact the website you link to used to be run by a bunch of lawyers. I guess the main one is dead now, though. So that is a start.

You hit it!

Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlet77  [View Original Post]
    Http://ssristories.com/index.php?p=school

Trust you haven't been involved in prescribing these "meds", especially to kids.
    Thanks for linking this school shooting to the other cases, and highlighting our over-medicated society. You are a very knowlegable guy. So now, the question is why are we leading the world in these categories. Is it because of ifestyles, culture, economics?

Here's an article by a practising psychotherapist

Its the nutjobs and the culture that produces them, not the meds.
    http://<br /> <br /> <a href="Http:/...><br /> <br />

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Gauntlet77 For This Post:

Posting Limitations