Quote Originally Posted by Exon123
    CockSucker.

Exon
    Love ya baby.

Retired Member

CockSucker.

Exon

Quote Originally Posted by Kevins
    most atms in argentina RETAIN the card during the transaction. If you card does not get release but is instead retained as can happen if you go into the bank, if they are open, or if you arrive first thing in the morning (usually 1000) of the branch in front or where the card was retained with proper documentation (passport or dni if local) they will return to you the card. Once it has passed 24 hours you ar lost as they return them or destroy them.
    The new Citibank ATMs don't retain the card. It is a quick insert and then pull out. Sorta like Exon.

Most ATMs in Argentina RETAIN the card during the transaction. If you card does not get release but is instead retained as can happen if you go into the bank, if they are open, or if you arrive first thing in the morning (usually 1000) of the branch in front or where the card was retained with proper documentation (passport or DNI if local) they will return to you the card. Once it has passed 24 hours you ar lost as they return them or destroy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphy Boyy
    Can someone please tell me if there are ATMs (Don't have to be Citibank) that only slide? I'm afraid of losing my card in some machine.
    I've never heard of anyone losing a card in a "suck" machine here. The Citibank machines are "insert", if that is "suck". If you go to Citibank, and you should, use the Citibank ATM and not the Banelco.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphy Boyy
    I was wondering because I don't trust sucking machines.
    Can someone please tell me if there are ATMs (Don't have to be Citibank) that only slide? I'm afraid of losing my card in some machine.

Do Citibank ATMS slide or suck?

I was wondering because I don't trust sucking machines.

Mara the ATM Machine!

Quote Originally Posted by Artisttyp
    Citibank is the best choice for a gringo anywhere in latin america. Unless of course your bank is tied in with a foreign bank and you get free debit card transactions.

The Citibank machines seem to be the most reliable as well. At least in my case they have been.
    Man, I was with Mara last week and she performed an awesome ATM!

No fee for withdrawal either!

There is a small fee for making deposits or entries!

TL.

P. S - ATM is not Texas A & M!

Gig'Em Aggies!

Citibank is the best choice for a gringo anywhere in latin america. Unless of course your bank is tied in with a foreign bank and you get free debit card transactions.

The Citibank machines seem to be the most reliable as well. At least in my case they have been.

Citibank ATMs are the best!

Dear visitors.

I've lived here in Buenos Aires now for over 7 months and I always withdraw money from various Citibank ATMs throughout the whole city like in Avenida Santa Fe, Florida and Perron, Callao and Alvear or from the one in front of Galeria Pacifico. I think Citibank now is the only bank that doesn't charge you an additional 11.42 Pesos to your bank regular bank fees (for me U$4.5 with UBS Switzerland) for each withdrawal. A big advantage is that they've modernized all their ATM's the past two months and you can get big amounts from them (already got 4000 Pesos at one time! Most others like HSBC, Rio Santander or Galicia will let you only withdraw 700-900 Pesos at one time with the before mentioned 11.42 extra fee on top of it. Never had any problems with counterfeits at Citibank either!

So certainly a good, economical and safe choice!

Have fun withdrawing!

I bring cash and use ATM's. I've never gotten a bad bill from either one. That's not to say that it doesn't happen, just that it has not happened to me in the 15 or so trips I've made over the past 7 years.

The BANK at the airport has a normal exchange rates. It's the small cambios that are the issue. It's generally not an issue at the cambios in downtown.

Bank at the airport dude.

Over the past 6 years of coming to argentina 2 -3 times per year I have exchanged a fair bit of US cash in argentina. For the past 4 years I have exchanged bewteen 4-6k USD each trip. I always use the bank at the airport, located just before you leave security. I have always recieved the best prevailing rate based on me checking it just before I get on my flight the night before. I have never had an issue with a counterfit bill, ever! Unlike banks in BA, the airport bank has no trouble exchanging large sums. I have used banks in Recoleta on occassion and they always seem to balk at anything over 1k at a time. I understand that carrying these large sums of cash from the airport to your accomodation is not for everybody. That said, use the bank at the airport if cash is what you will be exchanging in argentina. Enough said.

Happy Mongering All. Toymann

Where to exchange money

OK, I read a bunch of posts and decided I couldn't figure out how I would fly from North America to Buenos Aires and get Peso's at reasonable rate. I am told banks give counterfeit, airports charge to much, and not to trust ATMS. So I decide to get from banks at home before leaving except every bank I have called has said Peso too unstable, US government sanctions against Argentina, or some other lame reason forces the bank to either not allow exchange for Argentine Peso at all or only with horrible rate. So. I am coming down to visit for a few days in a month. How do those of you with experience get your Pesos?

Thanks for help.

Venues: 8
    I have never been able to get dollars out of an ATM in BA, and have never heard of anyone who has. I tried when I first moved here, went to banks whose ATMs said "Dollars" on the front. I found out that you had to be a client of the bank in order to take advantage of that.

Even banks like Citibank are local banks, not necessarily branches of banks from the States, if you happened to have an account at Citibank. A non-resident without a DNI has very little chance of opening an account where one could extract dollars.

However, Citibank ATMs (the modern ones) let me get up to my bank's limit, which none others in BA will let me do with one withdrawal. Who knows - maybe they have dollars for the general public?

US Dollars

Try Citibank across from Galleria Pacifico, not the Balanco terminal but the regular Citi terminal they are the newer ones, you have to go into the main lobby which should not be problem with your ATM card. I am pretty sure they despense dollars.

+ Submit Report
Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Posting Limitations