Thread: Two Questions. Racism and studying

+ Submit Report
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
This blog is moderated by BH Bound

Answers to questions

BH Bound:

1) Racism to Koreans: Not very significant, but it exists. The basic reason is that Koreans work very hard, and try to save a lot instead of spending. Sometimes, this behavior pisses off people who don't like such an extreme competition or such questionable savings.

For instance, a friend of mine who studied in one of the most prestigious American universities has attended the same elite school than I in BA and has received a gold medal for excellence. Schoolmates complained that such an award be granted to an "Oriental" (due more to envy than to anything else) but otherwise she didn't suffer other nasty events.

As of "saving", people complain about the explotation mentality typical of many Oriental people (since Koreans are the main Oriental community in BA, the words Oriental and Korean are mistaken as synonims, but these patterns are now observed in newly Taiwanese immigrants) and the aim of "cutting corners" illegaly (for instance, grocery store owners who disconnect refrigerators at night to save money) However, their offspring are more "Argentinized" and less hard working than their immigrating parents, and people perceive that too (partly because they speak as native Argentinians, too) There is a lot of urban legend, too.

2) Favaloro University: A relative of mine is a professor there for graduate studies. The university is good, but I doubt that it has such a high reputation abroad. In fact, I guess that the best medical school in Argentina is still the one at UBA.

Also, be careful when choosing the country of medical studies, if you do not intent to practice there. I witnessed that many friends had a hell of a time trying to get recognition from medical certification boards from developed countries (US, Canada, UK, etc)

Hope this helps,

Andres.

Quote Originally Posted by BH Bound
    Hey,

First off, I would like to thank all the board members for all of this information regarding argentina. I have read some articles that there is racism towards koreans in Argentina, especially since the media discovered argentinian-koreans illegally smuggling in bolivians to work under the table in the mid-nineties. I was wondering, does this anti-korean sentiment still exist? The reason I'm asking this is because one of the best bio-medical engineering / medicine schools in argentina is located in buenos aires and I'm planning on completing my undergraduate work there (4 to 5 years) It was founded by Rene Favaloro, a hero within the medical community. However, I'm not sure if an undergraduate degree from there holds much weight internationally. If anyone can help me with more information on the situation of koreans in argentina and Favaloro University, I would be very grateful. This is truly a life-changing decision on my part and I don't want to make and it an uneducated one. Thanks in advance.

BH Bound

RE: DaddyRulz you too deserve a lambasting

"These are not my feelings rather my observations of whats going on in front of me." (Are you the pitcher or catcher in the Moore Minor League, seriously which one?

Gents (Copernicus and Copernicus' mini-me)

Per my earlier assumption that Moore was a Gringo given his heightened sense of entitlement to make such comments, well apparently this applies to Daddyrulz, he (mini-me) eloquently made a point but ultimately let his "feelings" interfere with his "observations" by calling me an asshole (which undoubtedly I am)

Back to BH's original question: yes, racism and the perpetuation of negative perceptions appears to be alive and well in BA you've got folks like the "Pitcher" and "Catcher" to thank!

By the way, I am an Asian, before I am an asshole. Think about it. Kind of deep huh?

Hurdle your an asshole

Moore is commenting on what He sees, not what He thinks. I've spent a lot of time in BsAs and have a lot of friends there. I think a lot of Argentinians are bigots looking down at people from other S American countries. I don't know about their feelings regarding Asians, and as far as Blacks are conserned Moore is right, they are treated ok because they are rare. These are not my feelings rather my observations of whats going on in front of me.

These feelings are of course not universal in Argentina but I do see it a lot.

Copernicus (Moore) V. Freud Bottom of the 9th, I swear it!

Moore,.

Per your request for clarification from Toronto, why don't you ask those toilet cleaners at work how they classify themselves. Better yet, I'll be in BA shortly, why don't you ask me?

Getting "exposed" for your raw intelligence is humbling ain't it?

PS. Kudos on your recent sante fe 1707 posting, I particularly enjoyed your concluding comments

Thank you Hurdle, I mean Freud.

Toronto, what is the proper name for that race? Asian could mean two (Mongoloid or Caucasoid) of the three world races. So could African (Negroid or Caucasoid). Asia is a big place.

I am Korean and have lived in US / Canada for almost 20 years. I have several Argentinian friends and visted BA in Feb. What I experienced in my short visit was that they have the same stereotyping issues as they have here in NA such as assuming I must own a convenience store / dry cleaner but nothing worse. But I did notice that even my friends (who look more European) looked down on darker, more South American looking folks and I can imagine they may feel the same towards Asians. Bottom line is, I haven't faced any serious racism here in NA and I don't think I would in BA if I lived there.

BTW Moore, Oriental should be used for objects such as vases, not people.

Again, Moore's Law a bit too high level for me:)

Moore (actually, can I call you Copernicus?

The "racial hierarchies" comment is pretty damn thought provoking. Thank you again for the contribution. I'm still blown in awe of your Black and Arabs v. Asians comparison (really good stuff)

It's been my contention that those who are typically broke (Moore, I don't mean this in the literal sense, it's a metaphor) tend to embrace petty stereo-types of others in an effort to ease the hunger pains (Moore, again a metaphor, not literal)

BH Bound, your hyper-sensitivity is f**kin killing me, perhaps you may want to reconsider BA, the plentiful pussy, cosmospolitan city, and abundant wine / steakhouses might be a little overwhleming fuh ya oh, did I mention Portena pussy is top notch, it usually doesn't ask if you're Arab or Korean, or even Moore

I'm just writing what I know, see, read, and hear. Ive been here a long time. I do not post what offices Ive worked in or any other personal info. You have to be deaf, dumb, and blind to not see the racial hierarchies here.

I will take all opinions into account, even Moore's. However, please, do not turn this into a flame-war thread (Hurdle) or a trolling thread (Moore) I'm looking only for honest answers.

40 acres and a mule realized. Is BA the new promise land?

Moore,

Your astute observations are quite impressive. Please do share more. Clearly you have lots of global corporate credibility having worked in many Argentinian "LARGE OFFICES" (as opposed to large stoops?

I'm tempted to label you as another Gringo with an overly heightened sense of entitlement to make such comments about other ethnicities, but I'll stop myself as your entertainment value has tremendous upside for me (I know, I am a selfish bastard) but I'm certains others who've read your post seek more entertainment as well.

Please do share more comments and observations about Blacks and Arabs, any chance their pesos are lined with pennzoil and diamonds, no wait, I mean cubic zircon.

Holla Back Son!

It is true that the level of education and culture in Argentina is high. But lets be honest, you're going to be looked down upon socially as an Oriental (Korean, Chinese, Bolvian, Peruvian, Mexican, Paraguayan, Vietnamese, etc.) Ive worked in many large offices here and the only time you see this race inside is cleaning the toilets.

Blacks, however, seem to be highly regarded here probably because they are so rare. If heard many stories of black guys being treated like star athletes, celebrities, etc. here when they go out because thats what locals assume they are. Arabs are also highly respected here - even former president Menem is Syrian.

RE: Some advice for you

In the spirit of kind intentions and no-sarcasm.

Take a deep breath, quit being so overly analytical, and think with the "small head" not the one that likes this Bio-whatever stuff.

The folks in BA are no more no less racist than the angry White bus driver who flipped off the Persian kid driving his lowered 1986 Monte Carlo pumping the latest 50 cent album.

I would argue folks in BA are inherently more acculturated and tolerant of other ethnicities given their diverse worldwide genealogy and roots.

With respect to how Koreans are perceived in BA? Well, why not go down there, treat every Portena with the utmost respect and care (believe me this will pay huge dividends! And give a black eye to those Portenos who attempt to belittle you.

Listen, you should have no fears studying or living in BA as an Asian, let alone a Korean Man which I assume you are. Pursue your goals and carry yourself in a manner that respresents Asian men favorably. Good luck.

Two Questions. Racism and studying

Hey,

First off, I would like to thank all the board members for all of this information regarding Argentina. I have read some articles that there is racism towards koreans in Argentina, especially since the media discovered argentinian-koreans illegally smuggling in bolivians to work under the table in the mid-nineties. I was wondering, does this anti-korean sentiment still exist? The reason I'm asking this is because one of the best bio-medical engineering / medicine schools in argentina is located in buenos aires and I'm planning on completing my undergraduate work there (4 to 5 years) It was founded by Rene Favaloro, a hero within the medical community. However, I'm not sure if an undergraduate degree from there holds much weight internationally. If anyone can help me with more information on the situation of koreans in argentina and Favaloro University, I would be very grateful. This is truly a life-changing decision on my part and I don't want to make and it an uneducated one. Thanks in advance.

BH Bound

Posting Limitations